DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Minnie moved around so much it was hard to track not only how old he was but where and who he was playing for. :p
    We need to make a push to get him in the HOF. If there was ever a player who deserves that kind of recognition for all he had been through---it was Minnie. :D

2. dh66

dh66

Gregory Walcott, who played, among many roles, Jeff Trent, the heroic lead man in 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'. He was 87.

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Claude Brenner, one of radio's original "Quiz Kids" who went on to a distinguished career at MIT, has died at the age of 86. Brenner, with a childhood IQ of 149 and a distinctive South African accent, was one of the first group of child prodigies on the popular radio program starting in 1940, and remained part of the panel until 1944, when he entered MIT at the age of 15. In interviews later in life he admitted that while he was appearing on the program, he felt like something of "a freak," but in later years he came to terms with the experience, and credited it with paving the way for much of the success he enjoyed in his adult life.

4. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

5. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

We just lost James Best, perhaps best known as Rosco P. Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard. He was also on the Andy Griffith Show.
    rosco.jpg

6. Heather

Heather Practically Family

I'm very sad to read this!! RIP Roscoe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. And he was in dozens of westerns through the years----even a Twilight Zone episode. Yet he was never too proud or snooty to put on the hat and uniform to play Roscoe P. Coltrane for kids, fans and TV.
    Flash the dog was actually his dog in real life as well.
    First Uncle Jesse then Boss Hogg.I’ll miss you Mr. Best.You gave us many of the best years of your life in film and on the small screen.Many laughs and some tears.RIPYou will be missed.

8. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Well said jp, caught him on an episode of Wanted Dead or Alive not long ago.

9. I saw that one as well. His versatility as an actor cannot be judged by Roscoe---or perhaps it can.......

10. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

"Use Preparation-H and you can kiss your hemorrhoids good-by " Stan Freberg has passed. The way that man's mind worked wow.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  11. RIP Stan Freberg
    -- One of my favorite bits by the Master.

[video=youtube;DiBbyz4oE0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBbyz4oE0g[/video]

12. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Geoffrey Lewis, perhaps best known for playing with Clint Eastwood in many of his films, like Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can, passed away at his home. He was 79.

lewis.jpg

13. Great character actor, and on the short list of "that guy". Loved him in High Plains Drifter. RIP Mr. Lewis.

14. Agreed.

15. Renault

Renault One Too Many

American counsel Samuel Gumere in "The Wind and the Lion". Prolly my fav role for him!

16. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

"Jacobsen...faster than sheep!"

[video=youtube;VSiZPEUfFnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSiZPEUfFnM[/video]

17. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Very, very sad. I always thought very much of him and the fact that he kept up his Dukes of Hazzard role over the years. Another part of my childhood, gone.

18. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

One of the pioneering figures of early television has died at the age of 96. Milton DeLugg -- a skinny, professorial-looking fellow who played swing accordion -- was active on the dance band and radio circuits before and after the war, but made his mark for all time in 1950 as the bandleader for "Broadway Open House," the first late-night comedy-talk-variety program on network television. His career in television extended well into the 1970s, with his last major on-camera role leading the band on Chuck Barris's infamous "The Gong Show."

19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I didn't realize until I read his obit that Juliette Lewis is his daughter.

20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Milton DeLugg and the Band with a Thug