Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Longtime radio-TV nostalgia host Joe Franklin has died in New York at the age of 88. For people of my generation all along the Eastern Seaboard he was a key figure in promoting appreciation for the entertainment personalities of the prewar era, with his late-night radio show over WOR blasting over half the country when the atmospherics were good. He was a vital part of my own youth -- I spent my teens listening to "Joe Franklin's Memory Lane" every Saturday night -- "presented by Martin Paints. Martin Paints, my friends..." -- and it was thru that program that I got to know dozens of performers who are still a vital part of my life.

Joe Franklin didn't care about "cool." He wasn't interested in what the jazz cognoscenti had to say, he had no interest in "camp," and he had no use for rock. He loved -- dearly and sincerely -- the popular music and personalities of the 1920s and 1930s, and WOR gave him a fifty-thousand watt platform to preach from, something that's inconceivable in today's world, where if it's irrelevant to rock, it didn't exist. I didn't just learn about this music from Joe Franklin, I learned that there were other people in the world who appreciated its quality, long before there was ever any such thing as the internet. And I got to hear many of those personalities, themselves, while they were still alive to to tell their stories. Joe Franklin kept the flame burning -- and he passed that flame along to those of us who still remember.

Feraud

Bartender
Sad news about Joe Franklin. Joe exposed me to a genre of entertainment I lacked growing up in Queens, NY during the 1980s.
I'm going to miss his sincerity, something sorely lacking in television hosts today.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Adding the NY Times obit on Lizabeth Scott.

lizabeth.jpg

I've not ever been a big follower of noir - and unfortunately the first Scott film I saw was "Dead Reckoning" with Bogart, which isn't going to help me avoid the Bacall associations - but I have enjoyed her work. 92 was a pretty good run.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Although not a member of the golden era, many of you will know the name or the music. Sam Houston Andrew, founding member and guitarist of Big Brother and the Holding Co. died on February 12.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I forgot to post this last week,

Joe Mauldin, bassplayer for Buddy Holly & The Crickets, aged 74

This one hits a bit close to home, I grew up in Lubbock Tx. and even went to school with Crickets drummer Jerry Allison's daughters. I am also a bass player.

Jerry and his bandmates were early pioneers of rock-n-roll whose influence is still relevant to this day.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to post this last week,

Joe Mauldin, bassplayer for Buddy Holly & The Crickets, aged 74

This one hits a bit close to home, I grew up in Lubbock Tx. and even went to school with Crickets drummer Jerry Allison's daughters. I am also a bass player.

Oct. 1957 " Show of Stars"
@ Municipal Auditorium in S.A. TX.

2a0z07.png

A gathering of young talented pioneers of R & R in one place
at the same time is something I will never forget.
Mr. Holley was there & were billed as the "Crickets".
I remember this young man as having an incredible voice
range & his songs were very original all his own style.
I later bought his 45 rpms.
That's all I could afford until I got my first job. :eek:

Last edited:

DecoDame

One of the Regulars

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"The LORD bless thee and keep thee, the LORD make his face to shine upon thee; and be gracious unto thee; the LORD lift up His countenance unto thee, and give thee peace." -- Numbers 6:24-26. The origin of "Live long and prosper."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy