Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Broadcast newsman Richard C. Hottelet has died at 97. The last surviving orignal "Murrow Boy," he was best known for his in-person coverage of the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge for CBS radio, but he was also assigned to Germany by the United Press in the last months before the US entered the war, and was arrested by the Gestapo in 1941 as a suspected American spy. He was a guest of Herr Himmler for more than six months before the US arranged his release.

After the war Hottelet became CBS's UN correspondent, a position he held until his retirement in 1985.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Thanks for sharing that, Lizzie. I had not heard. Considering the sorry state of journalism today, we can really appreciate the heavy lifting done by the pioneers, est. the Morrows boys.

Broadcast newsman Richard C. Hottelet has died at 97. The last surviving orignal "Murrow Boy," he was best known for his in-person coverage of the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge for CBS radio, but he was also assigned to Germany by the United Press in the last months before the US entered the war, and was arrested by the Gestapo in 1941 as a suspected American spy. He was a guest of Herr Himmler for more than six months before the US arranged his release.

After the war Hottelet became CBS's UN correspondent, a position he held until his retirement in 1985.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oldest-surviving Oscar winner Luise Ranier has died at the age of 104. She earned two consecutive Best Actress Academy Awards, as Anna Held in "The Great Ziegfeld" in 1936 and then in 1937 she won again for her role as O-Lan in "The Good Earth." She was the first performer ever to earn two consecutive Oscars.

Her passing leaves 98-year-old Olivia DeHavilland as the oldest surviving leading lady of the Era.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
RIP Luise Ranier. Makes me realize I don't think I've ever seen a movie with her in it, strangely enough. I'll remedy that for the New Year. She always struck me as a very elegant lady.

And I remember watching Edward Herrmann throughout my life, most recently on The Good Wife. Will miss seeing him.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Oldest-surviving Oscar winner Luise Ranier has died at the age of 104. She earned two consecutive Best Actress Academy Awards, as Anna Held in "The Great Ziegfeld" in 1936 and then in 1937 she won again for her role as O-Lan in "The Good Earth." She was the first performer ever to earn two consecutive Oscars.

Her passing leaves 98-year-old Olivia DeHavilland as the oldest surviving leading lady of the Era.

Luise Ranier.... what an amazing life, what a great actress ....."The Good Earth" a classic that film....

RIP Luise.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Ellie was loaded for bear....RIP

1-2-2015-1.jpg
Donna Douglas, who played, Ellie Mae Clampett died aged 81. OMG Ellie Mae is as old as granny - I am too old!
attachment.php

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Working in the Capital 33 years come April, I've watched literally, Governor's come and go. Mario lived in the Mansion, in Albany, few Governors ever do. He'd play pick up ball down in the park weekly in the summers. You always felt you could go up to him shake his hand and talk to him like a man. His son is everything his Dad never was, cruel, petty, vindictive, amoral and distant. This isn't anecdotal this is from watching both men with my own two eyes. He'll be missed.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR