Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Rip. Pongo is my favorite Rod Taylor character.

pongo.jpg

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
I enjoyed that Rod Taylor interview, HoosierDaddy. He has that typical Aussie self deprecating humor.

And Taylor always struck me as able to play Robin Williams better looking older brother, if they had been closer in age. Or father, I suppose. But then, I always thought Harrison Ford and Steve Martin should've played brothers, too. I would've made a odd casting director, I guess.

Well, good excuse to watch Time Machine...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Thank you HossierDaddy

"The Time Machine" !960 will forever have a special place in my heart.... RIP handsome Rod .

Thank you V.C.
Arrivederci Anita Ekberg :(

And yet another one to add to this sad list...

Samuel Goldwyn Jr., " scion of a Hollywood dynasty who became an influential movie executive in his own right, died in Los Angeles on Friday. He was 88."

I enjoyed that Rod Taylor interview, HoosierDaddy. He has that typical Aussie self deprecating humor.

And Taylor always struck me as able to play Robin Williams better looking older brother, if they had been closer in age. Or father, I suppose. But then, I always thought Harrison Ford and Steve Martin should've played brothers, too. I would've made a odd casting director, I guess.

Well, good excuse to watch Time Machine...

Thought he did an outstanding job in "The Birds."

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Something more on Rod Taylor's career... hey....I liked the man ok?:p

The TV series "Hong Kong"which aired on ABC television during the 1960-61 season helped to catapult the Australian actor into a major film star.

[video=youtube;F2Cg1L4ZQsI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Cg1L4ZQsI[/video]

I enjoyed that Rod Taylor interview, HoosierDaddy. He has that typical Aussie self deprecating humor...
I concur. I've seen only a few interviews with Taylor, but I always got the impression that he enjoyed his career and took the work seriously, but never took himself too seriously or let his success go to his head.

...And Taylor always struck me as able to play Robin Williams better looking older brother, if they had been closer in age. Or father, I suppose. But then, I always thought Harrison Ford and Steve Martin should've played brothers, too. I would've made a odd casting director, I guess...
Thank you! Long ago I noticed the resemblances between Taylor and Williams, and Ford and Martin, but whenever I've mentioned it to anyone they merely looked at me as though they finally had evidence that I had indeed lost my marbles. :yo:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another passing that should not go unnoted is that of Peggy Charren, founder of Action for Children's Television, who died this week at 86. She took note of the merchandising-driven cesspool that was most of kids TV in the sixties, and demanded that something be done to enforce the FCC's mandate that the airwaves be used in the public interest by licensees. The result was a flowering of creative, educational programming for kids during the late sixties and early seventies. Things like "The CBS Children's Film Festival," "In The News," "Zoom," and even "Sesame Street" can be laid to her activity. Much of her work was undone in the '80s by the dollars-uber-alles deregulatory spirit of the time, but her legacy lives on in the memories of the generation enriched by her work.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Oh gee. The last great player to go to the majors direct from the Negro Leagues.

As a kid growing up on Chicago's south side, Banks was an idol-I used a Louisville bat with his signature in Little League,
and along with New York Yankee Mickey Mantle, he was my favorite. In 2006 or 07 I was formally introduced to Ernie,
and I remarked how good it was that the Sox had won the World Series-and he looked at me and said, "What's so good about it?"
I was caught and so embarrassed at myself, but he smiled and we talked a bit. Great guy. R.I.P.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Banks also broke the color barrier for the Cubs. Of course this is another discussion, but former Negro League players are disappearing rapidly, which is a shame, as they represent both the tragedy and the triumph of one of the uglier aspects of the "era".

It can be jarring to realize that quite a few of the players from the first generation of baseball integration were still active on the field into the 1970s, and even more were still in uniform as managers or coaches into the nineties. It might seem like ancient history to the millenials, but it's a time that's still very much within living memory to a lot of us.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Banks also broke the color barrier for the Cubs. Of course this is another discussion, but former Negro League players are disappearing rapidly, which is a shame, as they represent both the tragedy and the triumph of one of the uglier aspects of the "era".

It can be jarring to realize that quite a few of the players from the first generation of baseball integration were still active on the field into the 1970s, and even more were still in uniform as managers or coaches into the nineties. It might seem like ancient history to the millenials, but it's a time that's still very much within living memory to a lot of us.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The UK TV Star, Anne Kirkbride who was much loved in the long running UK Soap Coronation Street, recent passed away at the young age of just 60. She had been in the show for 44 years and had some great story lines. She will be much missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21