Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Having watched a few episode of the series relatively recently, I thought she and Alfred brought more personality to the show and felt more comfortable in their roles than Batman, Robin or Gordon - all of whom seem stiff to me. She and Alfred manage to strike the right balance between letting you know they are in on the joke, but not in any way acting superior to the goofy material.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The world of film, specifically horror films, has lost a legend tonight. May he forever rest in peace (and haunt our dreams).
freddyani.gif

When I was growing up, and those Disney movies were ubiquitous, Dean Jones seemed to be in every one. Very funny guy.
It did seem that way, but Jones actually appeared in only 12 Disney movies throughout his career. Theatrical movies, that is, not television movies; he did three of those for Disney. And a series version of The Love Bug that was cancelled after only five episodes. His career as an actor was 53 years long, but his association with Disney was responsible for only about 15% of his total body of work.

Jones was from AL and his family owned a good deal of property at one time in the town where I worked. A small lake there is Jones Lake. RIP

Well, to be fair, a good number of his roles were TV movies and guest appearances on TV shows. Add to that, he played the Love Bug character in the movies and TV show, and that many of us were in our "impressionable years" when he was doing the Disney movies, it stands to reason that he'd be mostly remembered for those flicks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And even if you didn't actually go to those movies in the theatre, you couldn't escape them. Anybody who watched TV in the sixties and seventies knows how heavily promoted they were -- commercials everywhere, ad infinitum. Plus they were always showing them, cut into two-part serials, on "The Wonderful World of Disney." The Mouse was nothing if not very very resourceful.

To reference the thread about old baseball announcers, we lost one of the great ones today. Gene Elston died at the age of 93. Elston started his broadcast career in 1946 and began his Major League career in 1954 with the Chicago Cubs. He gained a national audience in 1958 with Mutual Broadcasting's "Game of the Day" alongside Hall of Famer Bob Feller. In 1962, Elston was tapped to be the voice of the expansion Houston Colt .45s. He remained with the .45s/Astros until 1986. He returned to national broadcasts, working for CBS radio's "Game of the Week" until his retirement from broadcasting in 1997. He was honored with the Hall of Fame's Ford C. Fricke Award in 2006. He also wrote several baseball books, and was an active writer and blogger, contributing to sports blogs and fan sites into his 90s.

RIP Gene...you were one of the best.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Actress Jean Darling, one of the last surviving cast members of the “Our Gang” silent comedy shorts who also appeared in Rodgers & Hammerstein’s original production of “Carousel,” died Friday in Rodgau, Germany, reports the New York Times. She was 93.

Darling broke out onto the scene in the early ’20s, scoring the role in Hal Roach’s “Our Gang” after starting to act when she was only 4 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner