Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

LizzieMaine

Bartender
She also appeared in the first season of "Our Gang" talkies -- most notably as the girl who takes great delight in stoking the flames of rivalry between Chubby Chaney and Joe Cobb in "Boxing Gloves."

jean_darling___boxing_gloves.jpg

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Actress Jean Darling, one of the last surviving cast members of the “Our Gang” silent comedy shorts who also appeared in Rodgers & Hammerstein’s original production of “Carousel,” died Friday in Rodgau, Germany, reports the New York Times. She was 93.

Darling broke out onto the scene in the early ’20s, scoring the role in Hal Roach’s “Our Gang” after starting to act when she was only 4 years old.

That seems an odd place for an American actress to have spent her last years. Anyone know why?

My great-grandfather left that area to emigrate to the U.S. in 1859 arriving about two months shy of his 18th birthday.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
She moved to Ireland in the early 70s, after her American career had wound down, and became a radio star there, acting and hosting a long-running children's show well into the 1990s. Last I'd heard she was still living there.

Judy Carne, who rocketed to pop culture fame as the “sock it to me” girl on “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In”, died on Thursday in Northampton, England. She was 76. The probable cause was pneumonia, said a friend, Jon Barrett, who said Ms. Carne had been in the hospital for several days and that the official death certificate was not yet available.

Another great baseball PBP man...Milo Hamilton died today at aged 88. Hamilton got his first radio gig on Armed Forces Radio while serving in the US Navy during WWII, and got his first Major League job for the St. Louis Browns in 1953. He retired from broadcasting in 2012, after 28 years with the Houston Astros. Before that, he was the voice of the Atlanta Braves, where he called his most famous moment, Hank Aaron's record breaking 715th career home run.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The last of the old-school Midwestern announcers who were homers but not frantically so. He wrote an autobiography a few years back that had a lot to say about his long-time stormy relationship with Harry Caray, who pushed him out of St. Louis in the mid-fifties to make way for Joe Garagiola, and then ended up pushing him out of Chicago thirty years later.

p51

One Too Many
Another Our Gang veteran has died -- Dickie Moore, best known as the Gang's wide-eyed leading man for the 1932-33 season, passed away Monday just a few days short of his 90th birthday.

dickie.jpg
Man, I found out while I was watching the short, "Free Wheeling," which was quite shocking. As a kid watching these on syndication, I had no idea then that even at that time in the 70s, many of them had passed on even before I was born.

Man, I found out while I was watching the short, "Free Wheeling," which was quite shocking. As a kid watching these on syndication, I had no idea then that even at that time in the 70s, many of them had passed on even before I was born.

Hal Roach, who produced the Our Gang comedies, and who lived to the age of 103, outlived quite a few of the Little Rascals.

The last of the old-school Midwestern announcers who were homers but not frantically so. He wrote an autobiography a few years back that had a lot to say about his long-time stormy relationship with Harry Caray, who pushed him out of St. Louis in the mid-fifties to make way for Joe Garagiola, and then ended up pushing him out of Chicago thirty years later.

Hamilton's feud with Caray was legendary, and carried over to Caray's son, Skip. They simply hated each other.

Growing up in Florida, we got the Braves on radio, so Hamilton was the voice of my childhood. Then I moved to Houston in the 80s, there was Milo for next 25 years. It's safe to say that I've heard his voice on radio more than anyone else. By a lot. I get sad when I think of these old radio guys dying off, and it will be especially hard when Vin Scully goes to that great Dodger in the sky. I don't think kids today get the same level of appreciation, mostly because the games are televised and they don't rely on the PBP man's description nearly as much, they can see it for themselves. There are still good PBP men out there, both on radio and on TV, but it's just not the same. Of course, I could also be full of nostalgic crap.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton's feud with Caray was legendary, and carried over to Caray's son, Skip. They simply hated each other.

Growing up in Florida, we got the Braves on radio, so Hamilton was the voice of my childhood. Then I moved to Houston in the 80s, there was Milo for next 25 years. It's safe to say that I've heard his voice on radio more than anyone else. By a lot. I get sad when I think of these old radio guys dying off, and it will be especially hard when Vin Scully goes to that great Dodger in the sky. I don't think kids today get the same level of appreciation, mostly because the games are televised and they don't rely on the PBP man's description nearly as much, they can see it for themselves. There are still good PBP men out there, both on radio and on TV, but it's just not the same. Of course, I could also be full of nostalgic crap.

I was fortunate growing up with the voices of By Saam, Harry Kalas, John Facenda and Bill Campbell. I listen to baseball more than watch it seems like. Summer evening on the porch with a cigar and beverage of choice,radio and imagination show more game than the directors fixation with pitcherbattercatcherumpire tunnel vision. Appreciation of the game combined with knowledge,personality and downright likeability is more often sought than achieved by most announcers. We are witnesses to the "Last Man Club".

Tom D.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still grieve for Ned Martin, and he's been gone for thirteen years now.

I discovered Saam and Kalas in the early '70s -- our local Red Sox station was at 1230kc and when they signed off for the night after the game, WCAU was just a slight tick to the left. "Home Run Payoff," Tastykakes, and "Schmidt's, the Easy Beer." Great listening, and for a while the Phils became "my" National League team.

The biggest problem with modern radio baseball is that the production values are so terribly, terribly *hyped.* Dumb, studied catchphrases, thunderous music bumpers, overloaded drop-in commercials, and announcers who scream on every pop fly. I love baseball on radio, and always will, but I'm at the point where I'd rather listen to recordings of old broadcasts than live new ones just because the new ones are so monstrously bombastic.

I still grieve for Ned Martin, and he's been gone for thirteen years now.

I discovered Saam and Kalas in the early '70s -- our local Red Sox station was at 1230kc and when they signed off for the night after the game, WCAU was just a slight tick to the left. "Home Run Payoff," Tastykakes, and "Schmidt's, the Easy Beer." Great listening, and for a while the Phils became "my" National League team.

The biggest problem with modern radio baseball is that the production values are so terribly, terribly *hyped.* Dumb, studied catchphrases, thunderous music bumpers, overloaded drop-in commercials, and announcers who scream on every pop fly. I love baseball on radio, and always will, but I'm at the point where I'd rather listen to recordings of old broadcasts than live new ones just because the new ones are so monstrously bombastic.

This: "I love baseball on radio, and always will, but I'm at the point where I'd rather listen to recordings of old broadcasts than live new ones just because the new ones are so monstrously bombastic." I don't know about listening to old broadcast other than for a bit of historical enjoyment, but baseball - done well - on the radio is one of life's great simple pleasures.

And the same thing goes on at the stadium (at least at Yankee Stadium), where everything - everything single thing - is hyped to the point that it all means nothing because I try to tune it out and you feel assaulted at the game as the lights (it's like sitting inside a pinball machine) and noises (music, announcer, odd "motivational" sounds) are incredibly loud and never stop. They've destroyed the rhythm of the game for the fan. Yes, on the field that game is still being played at its American Pastural pace, but they've so amped up the stadium that you are not allowed to align with the slower, natural rhythm of the game.

This: "I love baseball on radio, and always will, but I'm at the point where I'd rather listen to recordings of old broadcasts than live new ones just because the new ones are so monstrously bombastic." I don't know about listening to old broadcast other than for a bit of historical enjoyment, but baseball - done well - on the radio is one of life's great simple pleasures.

I often watch the game with the sound off and listen to the radio. Mainly because Alan Ashby makes me want to jab knitting needles into my ears. The problem is they are often not in sync, the TV broadcast is usually a few seconds behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner