DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I recently attended a funeral service in my hometown for a classmate. I haven't lived there for 25 years. Until my mother passed, I would go to visit her and occasionally see a few people around town. A lot of the people I saw at the funeral were around my current age when I left. They are now in their 80s. How in the world did that happen?
    It was a shock to say the least.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. OldStrummer

OldStrummer Practically Family

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Gary Rhodes OBE was an English restaurateur and television chef, known for his love of British cuisine and ingredients and for his distinctive spiked hair style. He fronted shows such as MasterChef, MasterChef USA, Hell's Kitchen, and his own series, Rhodes Around Britain. Born: 22 April 1960, London. Died: 26 November 2019, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
    Spouse: Jennie Rhodes (m. 1989–2019)
    gary.jpg

MisterCairo and Rmccamey like this.
  4. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

R.I.P., Mariss Jansons. :(

5. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

So sad to hear about this. His was among the first cooking shows I ever watched, Rhodes Around Britain, along with the Two Fat Ladies. I can still picture him at a monastery making Gypsy Tart from condensed milk. He made a much better advocate for cooking, and British cooking at that, than the bombastic twit that is Gordon Ramsay.

Rmccamey likes this.
  7. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

8. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

At first I was surprised that Irving Burgie was still with us, having seen him on a children's TV show in the 1960's, and then saddened at his passing. Did you know that it was Burgie who inspired Booker T & The MG's to write Soul Limbo? And did you know that MG's was not named after Booker T's V8 MGB, it's an acronym for Memphis Group?

Rmccamey likes this.
  9. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

D.C. Fontana, one of the major architects of Star Trek:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/arts/dc-fontana-star-trek.html

https://www.startrek.com/news/dc-fontana-1939-2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._C._Fontana

After working on Gene Roddenberry's previous series, she came to TOS as script editor, ghost-rewriting submitted scripts to bring them more in line with established continuity. She created much of the lore around Mr. Spock, a character for whom she had particular affinity, wrote some classic episodes under pseudonyms, and contributed other bedrock ideas to the series/Trek mythos. Though unknown to the general public, she's been venerated by hardcore first-gen Trek fans like me for decades.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yes, next to Mr. Roddenberry, she was Star Trek.

Boomerang, Trenchfriend and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

A real pathbreaker in her field, and, along with Gene Coon, the most important writer the show ever had. Roddenberry liked to call himself the "Great Bird," but she's the one who built the nest.

vitanola and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

MisterCairo likes this.
  13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Robert Walker Jr., arguably best known for his roles as Charlie Evans in the Star Trek episode "Charlie X" and as Jack in the 1969 movie Easy Rider, died on December 5th at the age of 79. No cause of death has been made public as yet.

[​IMG]

MisterCairo likes this.
  14. OldStrummer

OldStrummer Practically Family

Rene Auberjonois. Odo to Star Trek Deep Space Nine fans, Clayton Endicott III on Benson, and Paul Lewis on Boston Legal. He also played Father Mulcahy in the film version of M. A. S. H. and Roy Bagley in King Kong (1976), as well as doing many voices for animated programs. December 8, at 79.

MisterCairo likes this.
  15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'm heartbroken at this -- Auberjonois was a fine actor and by all accounts a very good man. First Nog, and now Odo. This has been a very sad year to be a Niner.

Worf, MisterCairo and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. Trenchfriend

R.I.P., Constable Odo. :(

17. Trenchfriend

R.I.P., Marie Fredriksson. Rock on in heaven.

seres, MisterCairo and Fading Fast like this.
  18. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

19. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Former actor Philip McKeon, best known for the 70s sitcom "Alice", and later for being the brother of "Facts of Life" actor Nancy McKeon, has died after a long illness, aged only 55:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertain...ld-actor-has-died-at-55/ar-AAK03M6?li=AAggFp5

Our family saw the film "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" at the drive in in 1974, I vaguely remember it as we had to stay to see the "grown up" film after the other movie that I cannot recall! We later became fans of the show Alice.

McKeon 1.jpg McKeon 2.jpg

20. Trenchfriend

R.I.P., Danny Aiello. :(

MisterCairo likes this.