DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

i betcha he did too

MisterCairo likes this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Veteran television personality Hugh Downs -- and he was the kind of television personality where the mention of that phrase didn't induce a scowl -- has died at the age of 99. He did everything you could do on television over a career dating back to the 1940s, including a memorable turn as Jack Paar's announcer/straight man, a long run hosting the Today show, and of course nearly forty years on "20/20". But he was a very personal favorite of mine for his run as host of the puzzle-solving game show "Concentration," a program that absolutely obsessed me as a two-year old, and which I continued to follow for as long as it was on the air. Always a genial, pleasant figure in whatever sort of format he appeared, he lived long enough to see television devolve into something entirely unworthy of his sort of talent.

Bamaboots, ChiTownScion, BKM and 3 others like this.
  3. Harris HTM

Harris HTM Practically Family

Ennio Morricone. Rest in Peace.

Worf and MisterCairo like this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ciao Maestro, grazie mille. Ennio Morricone has popped his clogs but will live on in his music. He was 91. What a thrill it has been.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Worf and Trenchfriend like this.
  5. Charlie Daniels died today (July 6, 2020) at 83.

MikeBravo, Rmccamey and MisterCairo like this.
  6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Class acts each of them.

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Well, hell.

Rmccamey likes this.
  8. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

That's a real loss. He was much more than an entertainer. He was a real man but still a gentleman, and he was a fiercely proud American. He will certainly be missed.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the debut of "In America" on one of the awards shows:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    MisterCairo and Rmccamey like this.
  9. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Bye Charlie, your music influenced my life more than you know.

10. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

11. OldStrummer

OldStrummer Practically Family

Peter Green, virtuoso guitar player and co-founder of the popular Fleetwood Mac, at home in his sleep, at 73.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53540860

Green never attained the superstar status of his contemporaries, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, partly because of mental illness, but he was regarded as a "musician's musician."

Edward, MikeBravo, pgoat and 3 others like this.
  12. OldStrummer

13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Saw him with the original line up of Fleetwood Mac at Filmore West in 1969. They were on a bill with John Hammond w/ a 3 piece back up band, The Byrds, and Mac. It was a great show. He deserves to be listed with Clapton, Page and Beck. The Green Manoleeshee..(sp?)

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I don't know the economics of the rock music biz back then but it was cheap to get in....had to be cheap as I was broke living in a $20 a WEEK hotel room in the Filmore district cooking in the room on a hot plate.....Rice a Roni...a SanFrancisco treat....apparently . I am thinking it might have been $5 to get in.

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Actor John Saxon has died in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, at the age of 83. Saxon's wife Gloria told the Hollywood Reporter that her husband died from pneumonia. Bummer. Mr. Saxon has been one of my favorite character actors since I was very young.

MisterCairo and Lean'n'mean like this.
  16. OldStrummer

The "trifecta" is complete. Saxon was a very versatile actor, appearing in "Enter the Dragon" with Bruce Lee, but appearing often in "heavy" roles. He only achieved "A" status when he starred in the television series The Bold Ones, just before his appearance with Lee. R. I. P., Mr. Saxon.

Zombie_61 and Frunobulax like this.
  17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

He was indeed a great musician and excellent guitarist. I have a few of his solo efforts and much prefer his version of Mac.

Funnily enough, I was listening to "Unleashed in the East" yesterday while running errands. I think it's Manalishi?

When I started going to shows in '73 it was $4.50 in advance, $5.50 day of show (general admission, natch). In those days, the tours often lost money to sell the album. Now tours are money-making machines.

Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The last surviving adult star of prewar Hollywood, and a woman who always did it her own way.

...but I still can't stand Melanie.

pgoat likes this.