Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Chas

One Too Many
She was the first "golden age" celebrity that I was acutely aware of - I think that I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. There was one of her films on TV and my dad went on about how he had a huge crush on her. She was quite the lady. I will be doing a tribute to her on my show this week.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive had a heaviness in my heart since I heard of her passing. Ive been near tears all day. I cant believe shes gone. I almost like I lost a family member.
This is tough.

LD

Chas

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Ive had a heaviness in my heart since I heard of her passing. Ive been near tears all day. I cant believe shes gone. I almost like I lost a family member.
This is tough.

LD

Well, we don't know everything- she may have been in great discomfort; I really dislike the idea of someone that I admire so much suffering. After two decades of working with sick people I can tell you that death doesn't always come as an unwelcome visitor.

It's really a time to celebrate her life; she left the world a better place than what she found it in. Black women (an minorities in general) have an easier go of it in show business because of people like her. She certainly has enriched my life; I'm really more grateful than sad.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
Well, we don't know everything- she may have been in great discomfort; I really dislike the idea of someone that I admire so much suffering. After two decades of working with sick people I can tell you that death doesn't always come as an unwelcome visitor.

It's really a time to celebrate her life; she left the world a better place than what she found it in. Black women (an minorities in general) have an easier go of it in show business because of p. eople like her. She certainly has enriched my life; I'm really more grateful than sad.

That is one thing that keeps me from being too sad. I grew up adoring Lena Horne from the time I saw her in The Wiz. I thought she was the most amazing and beautiful woman I had ever seen and I didn't believe my mom when she told me Lena was in her 60's. Shortly after that I saw her in The Lady and Her Music on Bravo or A&E. It wasn't till years later that I was even aware of her movie career.

Okay, now I am crying.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Doris Eaton Travis age 106

One of the last remaining Ziegfeld Show Girls, Doris Eaton Travis, died today. Our own ClubWitsEnd (Diane) had the privilege of spending time with her a couple of weeks ago. An amazing lady who lived an amazing life.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
One of the last remaining Ziegfeld Show Girls, Doris Eaton Travis, died today. Our own ClubWitsEnd (Diane) had the privilege of spending time with her a couple of weeks ago. An amazing lady who lived an amazing life.

I was just about to post this, Dan...I guess at age 106, I shouldn't have been shocked by the news, but I truly was. Her caregiver wrote me about it just awhile ago. She was still truly vibrant and making plans just the other week here in NYC. When I interviewed her for Zelda, she kept expressing her thanks in my interest in her story- which is so crazy because it was such an honor! But that's just who she was- truly gracious.

Here is some more information...the lights on Broadway will be dimmed tomorrow night in her honor.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Doris_Eaton_Travis_Family_Issues_Statement_20100511

clubwitsend

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"love the thought that she may have seen the latest cover of "Zelda"

She did see it! She was very excited about it...I spent some time with her in NYC while she was here in April...just before she passed. Still lively ,still making plans...a truly amazing lady.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Little Orphan Annie

"Through more than 85 years of hardships and challenges — spanning the Great Depression, a world war, foreign cabals, corruption at home, several kidnappings and, well, being an orphan — she somehow always found a way to triumph.

In the changing media landscape, however, Little Orphan Annie has run into adversity not even she could overcome. The sun will come out tomorrow, but the tomorrow after June 13 will be the first in generations to dawn without "Annie" appearing in a daily newspaper."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ct-biz-0513-phil-annie-20100513,0,344970,full.column

Tiller

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Theatre/radio organist Rosa Rio has passed away at the age of 107. She was still performing as recently as last year, and was as far as I know the last surviving American theatre organist to have performed as an adult during the silent era.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/arts/music/15rio.html?hpw

The passing of the final link to a long gone era. May she rest in peace.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I was shocked to hear about this.

He had been sick with stomach cancer for a while. They mentioned it on That Metal Show a little while ago. Didn't expect him to go so soon, though :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21