Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hank Jones Memorial Broadcast

WKCR began their traditional broadcast about six hours ago. It's going to run until 9pm Tuesday (NYC time). They just played all of the incredible 1958 Cannonball Adderley (plus Miles Davis) record Something Else. Amazing stuff!

89.9 FM in the NYC area, and on the Web at:

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/

Doctor Strange said:
Hank Jones, outstanding jazz pianist (and brother of other famous jazz musicians Elvin and Thad - talk about a musical family!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/arts/music/18jones.html

Feraud

Bartender
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127046029&sc=17&f=1001
Player Portrayed In 'A League of Their Own' Dies
by The Associated Press
Dorothy Kamenshek, a former star of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League who helped inspire the lead character in the movie A League of their Own, has died. She was 84.

Kamenshek died of natural causes Monday at her home in Palm Desert, Calif., according to the Riverside County coroner's office. She had been having lung problems, said Jeneane Lesko, vice president of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League Players Association.

Kamenshek, who also went by Dottie and Kammie, played for the Rockford Peaches in Illinois from 1943 to 1953. The left-handed infielder was a seven-time All-Star and named in the top 100 female athletes of the century by Sports Illustrated.

"She was the greatest first baseman in the league," said Lesko, who also played for the Grand Rapids Chicks of Michigan. "She's been an inspiration to all the members in the association."

Kamenshek, and other league players, were the basis for Dottie Hinson, Geena Davis' character in the 1992 movie about women's professional baseball in the 1940s and 1950s.

Many players were consulted before the movie was made and several others made cameos, including Sarah "Salty" Ferguson, who played for the Rockford Peaches in 1953 and 1954.

Ferguson, 74, said she remembers Kamenshek as a laid-back person who was a great hitter and "slick first-baseman."

"She knew the game," said Ferguson, of Orangeville, Penn. "She was very, very good."

Private funeral services were planned Tuesday in Cathedral City, Calif.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
22kamenshekimg-articleInline.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/sports/baseball/22kamenshek.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Art Linkletter

Art Linkletter has died at the age of 97. Those of us of a certain age will remember his daily TV show "House Party", back in the 50's. He also had a weekly evening show called "People Are Funny"
One of the features of his show was the daily interview he did with 4 small school children. This was the source of the TV show "Kids Say the Darnedest Things". He was one of those people you thought would live forever. Aloha, Art.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127140387

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
"Kids Say the Darnedest Things"
I will often respond to bizarre statements made by those younger than me (20-30 somethings) with, "I'm having an Art Linkletter moment here." :p

Hondo

One Too Many
I remember Art Linkletter from the early 1960s, some funny stuff with House Party, and Kids say the Darndess Things, that was with black & white little TV era, No Ipods, No Videos, No Color TV or cell phones, his career had been longer than I can recall, from radio to TV, its a tribute to his longevity, one of the sadness parts of his life was his losing a daughter to LSD suicide, and a son from an accident, Amazing man at 97 years old, I only wish we all could live dignified, Younger people should take notice, if they have elderly or parents who reach or live so long, take care of them, give proper respect, and above all "Forgive" any errors, we are all responsible for our actions, RIP, Death be Not proud.

LizzieMaine said:
Art Linkletter, a towering figure of early daytime television, has died at the age of 97. One of the few show biz figures of his generation to enjoy a long and dignified retirement.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
I was shocked to hear about this.

Indeed. Not so long ago I watched an interview from maybe four years back and kept thinking to me 'what a nice, funny, kind hearted little guy' (boy, was he tiny!). Someone I'd have loved to have a drink with.

He seemed to have a little issue going with Gene Simmons, who obviously tried to register a patent for virtually everything in this wold. During the interview, at one point Ronny suddenly snapped at the interviewer 'oh, watch what you're doing there, dude - Gene Simmons invented breathing and he'll sure claim his royalties!". :D

So sad to see him gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21