Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
One thing I just found out looking through some stuff online for Jimmy Ray Dean. I never knew that Rowlf the Dog predated the Muppet Show. It's interesting what little nuggets you unearth when you take the time to look.

300px-Jimmydean.JPG

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jimmy_Dean_Show

The man will be missed but his legacy will be with us for a long time to come.

Cheers!

Dan

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I've mentioned this in a different thread. Mr. Dean being in the first wave of national shows with a southern bent once said in one of his folksy monologues "Just because we talk slow doesn't mean we think slow". A frontal assault on national prejudice said with his usual kind and gentle demeanor. A real gentleman.
Tom D.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:
One thing I just found out looking through some stuff online for Jimmy Ray Dean. I never knew that Rowlf the Dog predated the Muppet Show. It's interesting what little nuggets you unearth when you take the time to look.

300px-Jimmydean.JPG

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jimmy_Dean_Show

The man will be missed but his legacy will be with us for a long time to come.

Cheers!

Dan

Well will you look at that!

Hondo

One Too Many
Jimmy Dean will be sorely missed, I like the southern accent, or just folksy, Mr Dean was good on Danial Boone TV show, that southern drawl much like the late Arthur Hunnicutt (or is it Kentucky accent?) another actor I admire. The song Big Bad John and a few others will remain with us, RIP Jimmy Dean.

St.Ignatz said:
I've mentioned this in a different thread. Mr. Dean being in the first wave of national shows with a southern bent once said in one of his folksy monologues "Just because we talk slow doesn't mean we think slow". A frontal assault on national prejudice said with his usual kind and gentle demeanor. A real gentleman.
Tom D.

Undertow

Director Ronald Neame dies aged 99

Poseidon Adventure director Ronald "Ronnie" Neame has died in hospital in Los Angeles at the age of 99. The British film-maker, who died on Wednesday, never recovered after suffering from a fall, said family friend and BBC correspondent Peter Bowes.

WH1

Practically Family
Manute Bol (1962-2010) NBA basketball player and humanitarian activist.
While never a great basketball player he was good enough to play 10 years in the NBA. 7 foot 7 inches tall what an amazing wingspread. He was always very gracious and polite when speaking a true gentle giant.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
So sorry to hear of the passing of Mr. Bol. No diamond studs for the gentle man just a true devotion to his countrymen. A gentleman of rare personal responsibility to share the rewards of his success with those in need. "Ask not for whom..."
Tom D.

Undertow

WH1 said:
Manute Bol (1962-2010) NBA basketball player and humanitarian activist.
While never a great basketball player he was good enough to play 10 years in the NBA. 7 foot 7 inches tall what an amazing wingspread. He was always very gracious and polite when speaking a true gentle giant.

Yes, quite a loss. A rare gem.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Wolf Guts, 86, the last surviving Oglala Lakota code talker, died Wednesday afternoon at the South Dakota State Veterans Home in Hot Springs.

A Native American code talker from World War II, Wolf Guts helped defeat Axis forces by transmitting strategic military messages in his native language, which the Japanese and Germans couldn't translate.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_9668c6fe-7a8a-11df-ab6b-001cc4c002e0.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tuli

There were a couple of notable passings today, the one I'll mention is Tuli Kupferburg. Among many other things, Tuli was a founding member of the Fugs. Who/what are/were the Fugs yoiu may ask? Well you might. They were a totally gonzo folk/rock/acid stoner "band" that flourished for a short time in Greenwich Village at the height of the 60's. "Kiil For Peace", "Group Grope" and "Boobs a Lot", were among their biggest (?) hits. Saw them in the Village in 1966. Yes, I'm an unreconstructed hippy at heart. Lettin' my freak flag fly for a day at least.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/tuli-kupferberg-poet-and-singer-dies-at-86/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy