Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I attended a tribute to Lumet in 2008 at NYC's Film Forum, and I've posted an account of that evening at Cladrite Radio, for those who might be interested. Lots of interesting quotes from the man himself.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Trevor Bannister (Mr Lucas) from Are You Being Served pasted away on 14th April he was 76

Veteran British actor Trevor Bannister has died, aged 76.
The comedy star, best known for his role in hit 1970s sitcom Are You Being Served?, suffered a heart attack on Thursday (14Apr11).
Bannister studied at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, before appearing in a number of U.K. TV shows, including The Dustbinmen, The Avengers and Last of the Summer Wine.
He was also a regular in the theatre, performing in Shakespeare plays and traditional pantomime shows.
But Bannister's most notable role was playing ladies' man Mr. Lucas from 1972 to 1979 in Are You Being Served?, a sitcom set in a fictional London department store.
Are You Being Served? actor Frank Thornton( Captain peacock who is now aged 90!!!!) has paid tribute to his co-star, insisting he will treasure "many, many happy memories" of Bannister.
Thornton says, "He was a very good friend over a long time. We often met with him and his wife - he was recently at my 90th birthday celebrations in January and that was the last time we saw him. We shall miss him sorely."
Bannister is survived by his second wife, Pamela, and brother, John.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Bannister

[video=youtube;jgKWqIBIHv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgKWqIBIHv8[/video]

[video=youtube;sjZw6AOGkhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZw6AOGkhk&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;qByIGERfxGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qByIGERfxGs&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
An Australian World War II pilot whose Spitfire was discovered more than six decades after he was forced to ditch into a French river will at last be buried with full military honours.

Flight Lieutenant Henry "Lacy" Smith, 27, from Sydney, was hit by enemy fire and crash-landed his plane in the River Orne on June 11, 1944, just five days after the D-Day landings.

The aircraft and Flt Lt Smith's remains were recovered in November last year by the operator of a French war museum.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/wwii-pilot-to-be-buried-in-normandy-20110418-1dl5q.html

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Damn, I'm stunned into sadness. I just saw that Elisabeth Sladen died. Man, did I have a crush on her when I was a kid. She was always my favorite out of all the Doctor's companions. At least we got to see Sarah Jane Smith again the last few years.

Brad

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I just heard this too, Brad. Heartbreaking. My first real childhood crush. Hell, even on her spin-off in the last couple of years, she was still a beautiful and lively woman. So sad to hear the news.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A moment of silence for the passing of an era -- the last significant bandleader of the prewar era has died at the age of 100. Orrin Tucker led a dance band, not a swing band, so he hasn't gotten a lot of attention from latter-day fans, but his records with vocalist Wee Bonnie Baker for Columbia were among the most popular on the market at the turn of the forties. He continued to lead a band well into the 1990s, retiring only when forced to do so by declining health.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
A moment of silence for the passing of an era -- the last significant bandleader of the prewar era has died at the age of 100. Orrin Tucker led a dance band, not a swing band, so he hasn't gotten a lot of attention from latter-day fans, but his records with vocalist Wee Bonnie Baker for Columbia were among the most popular on the market at the turn of the forties. He continued to lead a band well into the 1990s, retiring only when forced to do so by declining health.

My heart just sank with sadness! It's time to put Orrin in my iPod, as I tend to prefer dance bands over swing bands. No idea why he isn't in it already and a shame it took his death to remind me. :(

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

Hmm, No doubt there will be a THIRD very soon?
And as for Sol Saks, we might hilight:
Mr. Saks’s other credits include the screenplay for the film comedy “Walk, Don’t Run” (1966), adapted from a story by Robert Russell and Frank Ross. The movie was Cary Grant’s last picture: in it, he plays matchmaker to a young couple (Samantha Eggar and Jim Hutton) amid the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21