Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If a funeral can be described as fabulous, then this was a fabulous funeral. A really beautiful service at the church, with her pastor officiating. A get together at the Astor Room at Kaufman Studios in Astoria, and then a tribute service at the funeral home. There was wonderful music, dancing, and joy mixed with the tears. Just what Diane would have wanted.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pt109

Very sad news. They left out PT109, his most celebrated role. They also didn't mention he was a pilot, and owned a Spitfire. A man of many talents!

swinggal

One Too Many
If a funeral can be described as fabulous, then this was a fabulous funeral. A really beautiful service at the church, with her pastor officiating. A get together at the Astor Room at Kaufman Studios in Astoria, and then a tribute service at the funeral home. There was wonderful music, dancing, and joy mixed with the tears. Just what Diane would have wanted.

Very nice to hear that the Diane's life was celebrated in a way I'm sure she would have loved.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Patricia Breslin - PeytonPlace & TwilightZone

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/13/arts/television/patricia-breslin-actress-and-wife-of-art-modell-dies-at-80.html?ref=obituaries
snippets:
Patricia Breslin, an actress who appeared on many television shows, including a memorable episode of “The Twilight Zone,” and who was married to the former N.F.L. team owner Art Modell, died on Wednesday in Baltimore. She was 80.
In the “Nick of Time” episode of “The Twilight Zone” in 1960, Ms. Breslin played the newlywed wife of a man, played by William Shatner, who becomes obsessed with a fortunetelling machine in a small-town diner while waiting for their car to be repaired. In 1963 she appeared in the “No Time Like the Past” episode, in which a character played by Dana Andrews uses a time machine to try to change events in the past.
14breslin-popup.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the towering figures of radio has died at the age of 101. Norman Corwin, radio's Poet Laureate, was one of the masters of experimental drama from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, when he developed a unique Sandburgesque celebrate-the-common-people style in his scripts for The Columbia Workshop, Thirteen by Corwin, and Columbia Presents Corwin. His career hit a rough patch after the war, when CBS moved away from experimental drama and hit an even rougher patch in the early 1950s when he was one of the earliest victims of the blacklist. He dabbled in television and movies, but his heart remained in radio, and in the '90s he returned to the medium to produce an irregular series of projects for public radio in the spirit of his earlier works, the most recent heard in 2001.

Until very recently he was lecturing on radio drama at U. S. C, as the last surviving major dramatist of the Golden Era.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Betty Driver aged 91 passed away a few days ago. She was well known in the UK as Betty Williams or Betty Turpin, a role she played for 42 years in the Long Running ITV1 TV programme Coronation Street, but she was on the Stage & Silver Screen way before that. From the age of 12, she was a singer and did some films with George Formby, she was also a forces sweetheart in WWII. She was a lovely and very well loved lady. She was still acting in "The Street" until very recently. That generation was amazing, many went on until their high 80s or 90s, another well known actress also from the North of England that passed away in her 90s was the great Dame Thora Hird.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
One of the towering figures of radio has died at the age of 101. Norman Corwin, radio's Poet Laureate, was one of the masters of experimental drama from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, when he developed a unique Sandburgesque celebrate-the-common-people style in his scripts for The Columbia Workshop, Thirteen by Corwin, and Columbia Presents Corwin. His career hit a rough patch after the war, when CBS moved away from experimental drama and hit an even rougher patch in the early 1950s when he was one of the earliest victims of the blacklist. He dabbled in television and movies, but his heart remained in radio, and in the '90s he returned to the medium to produce an irregular series of projects for public radio in the spirit of his earlier works, the most recent heard in 2001.

Until very recently he was lecturing on radio drama at U. S. C, as the last surviving major dramatist of the Golden Era.

A legend virtually in a league by himself. I wish I had known that he had been at USC.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I wrote an appreciation of Barbara Kent over at cladriteradio.com, though I probably offer little that can't be found in the NY Times obit linked to above.

Ms. Kent starred in one of my favorite silents, LONESOME (it has three scenes with synchronized sound, actually, but they were added after the fact; it's mostly a silent picture). LONESOME was filmed in NYC -- mostly at Coney Island -- and it's a lovely piece of work.

May she rest in peace.

Mario

I'll Lock Up

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Somehow this doesn't really belong here but a friend of mine was found dead in the streets of Berlin near the Landwehr Canal just a few days ago. Seems he died of a cardiac arrest. He'll be sorely missed by many people. R.I.P. Andreas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav