Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

YETI

A-List Customer
^^Indeed he was. And I remember the fire that nearly took his life.

He was a character and always the life of the party at the Vintage Fashion Expos during the 90s heyday when "hipsters" were into rockabilly and swing. The wealth of knowledge I gained collecting vintage clothing is mostly credited to Jon. I sure do miss that smoke filled haberdashery and him even more. Why do I even stay faithful to vintage when it's not the same as it was.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An unsung hero of the civil rights movement died on August 27th at the age of 95. His name was Stetson Kennedy, and he was an author/journalist/folklorist who, after traveling the South as a WPA researcher alongside Zora Neale Hurston in the late 1930s, decided that he needed to get involved in the fight against racism. He did this in one of the boldest ways imaginable -- he infiltrated the Ku Klux Klan in Georgia. And then he did something even more audacious -- he convinced the producers of the "Adventures of Superman" radio program to do a storyline pitting the Man of Steel against the Klan, a storyline which made headlines in the spring of 1947 by presenting a detailed portrayal of an actual "secret Klan ritual" in one of its episodes.

Kennedy later ran for Governor of Florida, and the Klan struck back at him by firebombing his house. He returned the compliment by writing a fiery expose of Klan operations and methods that stands as one of the definitive studies of how hate-groups work, and which is merciless in its ridicule of the false folklore which stands at the root of the Klan's mythos.

His last book, in 1995, focused on the aftermath of the Civil War, and argued that the collapse of Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow were the result of deliberate political manipulation during the 1876 election which, he contended, "undid the unconditional surrender at Appomatox" and allowed Southern ogilarchs to subvert the 14th and 15th Amendments at will. He may have been overlooked by modern historians, but Kennedy never lost his fire, nor his New Deal social conscience.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"On a beautiful sunny Sydney morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield, star of Spartacus, lost his 18 month battle with lymphoma cancer"

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/09/11/spartacus-star-whitfield-dies-at-3/?test=latestnews

RIP
andyspartacus.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This has been posted elsewhere, but I thought it needed to go here, as well. As some of you may know, Diane Naegl, AKA Club Wits End, passed away this morning after a brave battle with cancer. She was only 31. She was a dear, lovely delightful girl, and there are many broken hearts right now in New York.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
This has been posted elsewhere, but I thought it needed to go here, as well. As some of you may know, Diane Naegl, AKA Club Wits End, passed away this morning after a brave battle with cancer. She was only 31. She was a dear, lovely delightful girl, and there are many broken hearts right now in New York.

I'm awfully sorry to hear that :( I enjoyed her banter in the Powder Room threads. Thank-you for letting us know.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I read of her passing on a friend's FB status. I came here to pay my respects. She's left a lovely legacy, some great memories for a lot of people. Rest in peace, Diane.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Indeed, i was very sad and shocked to hear of her passing. She was always so sweet and witty when she posted in the Powder Room. My thoughts go out to all her family and good friends at his very unhappy time.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diane was a wonderful, honest, fun, intelligent, caring girl and I'm so glad to have been her friend, even if just for a few years. Last time I saw her we went bowling with Mr. Deckard. She wore a fab '30s floral frock and we had the best time. I regret that I assumed she would always be there in NYC when I went to visit and did not speak with her often since I moved to LA. RIP Diane. <3

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm so sorry & shocked to hear of Diane's passing. I'll be honest, I have been away from the Lounge for a while until very recently, and had no idea she was ill. I well remember her from threads in the Powder room, and I always thought she was striking and seemed very sweet. My thoughts are with her friends & family.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've posted my sympathies and sorrow about Diane's passing elsewhere in the Lounge, but I wanted to share this announcement that was posted by Don Spiro, her fiance, on Facebook:

"A memorial for Diane will be held this Wednesday, September 28 from 6pm until 9pm at the Thomas M Quinn & Sons Funeral Home at 35-20 Broadway in Astoria (between 35th an 36th Streets). Vintage attire is not required but is encouraged. Please pass this along to all her friends, as all are welcome... To all those who knew and loved her, she would want you to be strong, enjoy every bit of life, and be happy celebrating her memory."

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
New Funeral info

Please come to honor Diane's memory.

Diane's funeral will be Wed@3pm
Trinity Lutheran Church
31-18 37th St
Astoria 11103
M or R train: Steinway
Family asks in lieu of flowers please donate to Diane's charities.

--
==================================================================
This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner