Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if anyone cares, but I heard on the radio today that Amy's parents said she was trying to quit drinking cold turkey and that her body probably couldn't handle the withdrawl.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Only if they FEEL she is in danger.
If they think she can still produce money for them, then no.
She (and a lot of performers) was just a product IMHO.
CIP Elvis. He wasn't in any shape to tour, yet the Colonel decided he needed to. More time might have helped him get healthy, but we'll never know. At some point, the performer gets what they want (whether it's healthy or not) to keep the product going. Even if it kills them, and usually it does...

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I will say that in Amy's case, for once it looks like most of the people around her- family, studio executives, other musicians- did care about her. Can't cite the article, but it was essentially this: her studio kept trying to get her to go into rehab, other musicians were trying to talk sense into her, and her parents finally asked her where she wanted to be buried and what kind of service she wanted. She wouldn't listen, and always managed to find low-lifes to sell her drugs. I don't think anything short of locking her up with an armed guard outside the door could have helped her.

But getting a Grammy for a song about refusing going into rehab? That sure didn't help. :(

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The link says it all

War heroine Nancy Wake dies

Have a look at Wikipedia for a fuller story . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake

What an incredible woman. I am seriously inspired- I need to go out and find her autobiography and her biography.

I particularly like her explanation of her involvement in a 200k bike ride for the resistance: ""The blokes didn't think I'd ever get back. I only volunteered for it not because I'm brave but because I was the only one who could do it, being a woman." What complete and total modesty. (Her quotes in wikipedia suggest she was a strong and quick witted woman too- a couple of laughs there.)

Wow- that lady deserves a standing ovation. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Dr. Albert Brown, oldest survivor of Bataan Death March dies at 105

af46aea1-a879-4a0d-8dd6-8310e41c42ce.html

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_BATAAN_DEATH_MARCH_SURVIVOR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

It looks like he had a good life after the war. God knows he deserved it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday was the 34th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death. I wonder how many people made the pilgrimage to Graceland hoping that he is still alive? lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There are big events here twice a year, his birth and his death.
I don't think people from other countries realize what August is like in this town!
I enjoy going to a few contests, hearing the music on the radio, and remembering a great singer....vanilla ice. :D
Seriously, if you've never been to Graceland and you like Elvis, you must tour it at least once. As well as the museums housing his cars, awards, etc. I've been 3 times in the past 25yrs because they rotate his stuff, and I still enjoy it.

I've always wanted to visit Graceland. On an Elvis note, at least once a week, I get asked if I'm an impersonator. I got told I'd make it big in Tennessee over the weekend lol

There are big events here twice a year, his birth and his death.
I don't think people from other countries realize what August is like in this town!
I enjoy going to a few contests, hearing the music on the radio, and remembering a great singer....vanilla ice. :D
Seriously, if you've never been to Graceland and you like Elvis, you must tour it at least once. As well as the museums housing his cars, awards, etc. I've been 3 times in the past 25yrs because they rotate his stuff, and I still enjoy it.

scooter

Practically Family
I visited Graceland several years ago and it was well worth the time. Great story about Elvis (people don't realize what a genuinely nice guy he was), when his father remarried, the new wife had a little boy. Elvis wanted him to feel welcome, and the first night the boy was at Graceland, Elvis sent his men out with instructions to buy the boy one of EVERY toy in town so that he would be surprised when he awakened the next morning. I wasn't there, so I can't swear this is true, but I believe it to be so.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
Tom you're welcome down here anytime you want to visit.
Blue Suede Boots just doesn't have the same ring though. :D
A lot of people here have an Elvis connection, either something he did to affect them, or something they witnessed, etc.
When they first opened the home to visitors, his cars were still parked in the carport, as if he was out of town. I thought that was a nice touch. Then someone came up with the idea to put them in a museum and CHARGE to see them. When they were out you could actually look inside them close up. I remember walking over and touching the mink carpet in a Stutz Blackhawk(?) he had. Can't do that now...
Okay to keep this on topic...and I cringe to report this (Tom probably knows already).
The actor that played Vance on the Dukes of Hazzard...Christopher Mayer.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
RAUL RUIZ, the Chilean filmmaker who made more than 100 films in his international career and worked to put cinema on an artistic par with literature, died Friday at a Paris hospital.

Among the films Ruiz directed were "Klimt," a 2006 drama featuring John Malkovich as Austrian artist Gustav Klimt; "Time Regained," a Marcel Proust adaptation that starred Malkovich and Catherine Deneuve; "Genealogies of a Crime," a psychological mystery starring Deneuve; and "Three Lives and Only One Death," starring Marcello Mastroianni in one of his final roles before his death in 1996.

Ruiz fled South America and settled in Europe in 1973 after Chile’s military dictator, General Augusto Pinochet, seized power in a coup d’etat. Since the mid 1970s, Ruiz had lived in Paris with his wife, Valeria Sarmiento, a film editor with whom he often collaborated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ