Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It's no shock that a lot of artists have a history of substance abuse. Maybe it's to deal with the pressures on them from the public, record labels, etc. Instead of getting help for fear of being ridiculed by their fans, they use drugs and especially alcohol to self medicate. So sad...I think of Steve Clark from Def Leppard, he got to the point where his body couldn't do without the one thing that was killing him and he just drank himself to death. I often wonder if fate hadn't intervened, would some of these people have been better artists later in life? Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Of course they'd be really old now. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Amy joins the 27 Club which includes musical greats such as Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Kurt Cobain...............

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I know this shouldn't be surprising considering the road she was on but I'm totally devastated by this news. I was always rooting for her....

I wanted to think she'd clean herself up, too. While it's tragic to hear such a young life has ended, it seems everyone could see this coming for her.

So sad.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadians in Ontario and Americans in western New York will remember Elwy Yost, film buff and presenter, and a TRUE gentleman. He introduced classic films from the 30s onwards to audiences well before the advent of what was known as "pay tv" or the video cassette. Saturday Night at the Movies, Magic Shadows and other shows on TV Ontario (public television), showed films uncut, along with interviews he conducted with the directors, actors and others involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/07/22/obit-elwy-yost.html

DNO

One Too Many
Elwy Yost's saturday movies became a staple in my house. He probably did more for film appreciation than anyone else...at least in this neck of the woods. His enthusiasm was infectious.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Elwy Yost's saturday movies became a staple in my house. He probably did more for film appreciation than anyone else...at least in this neck of the woods. His enthusiasm was infectious.

That is sad. I don't know him, but he sounds a lot like Australia's own Bill Collins, a man with an absolute passion about film

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Australia lost one of it's living treasures. Margaret Olley died in Sydney today, she was 87. She was a woman whose vision was one of a kind. What a loss and what a legacy. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/artist-margaret-olley-dead-20110726-1hxxr.html
images

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I read that Amy Winehouse passed away yesterday. Not to sound callous or hard hearted, (it is a sad thing indeed when someone young dies), but it didn't surprise me. Knowing her history I'm guessing drug use, but that is just guessing. Shame though, she did have a good singing voice for the style of music she sang.

Cheers.

Dan

Puzzicato

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112