Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't pretend to know, but a number of sources suggest that the destructive behavior of Brown and Houston was mutually impactful. Houston herself made a point of saying that she was never the princess in sparkly dresses depicted in the carefully crafted image presented to the public.

In other words, while it's comforting, in a way, to imagine her as having been dragged down into the mire by an evil husband, that's not necessarily what actually happened. It's entirely possible Brown and Houston greased each other's skids.

scooter

Practically Family
I'm sorry for any ambiguity in my comment. For the sake of clarification, let me say this. Ms. Houston was an astonishing talent and a great beauty. One of the greatest voices the world has ever known, and but for the unfortunate influence of Bobby Brown, she might well have shared her gift with millions for decades to come.

I was deeply saddened by the news of her passing, and it infuriates me that Brown goes on relatively unscathed. I place the responsibility for her ruin directly at his feet.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In other words, while it's comforting, in a way, to imagine her as having been dragged down into the mire by an evil husband, that's not necessarily what actually happened. It's entirely possible Brown and Houston greased each other's skids.

Well, even if she was coked up everyday all the time, it doesn't excuse physical abuse. I'm all for taking responsibility for a your actions, understanding how your addictions endanger your well being, and how addiction can cloud your judgement and put you at risk. But responsibility cuts both ways: if you raise a hand to someone because you're an abusive twit, you got to take responsibility for being an abusive twit, and not blame it on your victim's own shortfalls.

You can hold her accountable for everything she did, but she never "made" her husband abuse her and absolutely none of her behavior excuses his violence towards her.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Well, even if she was coked up everyday all the time, it doesn't excuse physical abuse.

I couldn't agree more and I don't think I said anything that could fairly be taken to be excusing physical abuse. My sister was a victim (is a survivor, is perhaps a better way to put it) of domestic abuse, and you may rest assured I take it very seriously indeed.

But as I said, it's been reported that she had a darker side and many deep dysfunctional issues of her own, that her untimely death and the myriad troubles that preceded it cannot simply be laid at her ex-husband's feet, as tempting and comforting an explanation as that might be.

Does that take him off the hook for his behavior? Hardly. But "the princess who married a bad man" may not tell the whole story, either.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I couldn't agree more and I don't think I said anything that could fairly be taken to be excusing physical abuse. My sister was a victim (is a survivor, is perhaps a better way to put it) of domestic abuse, and you may rest assured I take it very seriously indeed.

But as I said, it's been reported that she had a darker side and many deep dysfunctional issues of her own, that her untimely death and the myriad troubles that preceded it cannot simply be laid at her ex-husband's feet, as tempting and comforting an explanation as that might be.

I didn't mean to suggest that you specifically were. I just don't like society's focus on victim blaming. I just see their drug abuse and violence as two separate (but) related pieces.

If anything, I think her case (sadly like many others we hear about) should highlight how dangerous drug abuse is, and how no matter how rich or famous you are, it can and will destroy your life and those around you. Granted, we don't know how she died (yet) but I imagine her years of drug abuse contributed in some way, if it led to an OD, a health condition, or a suicide. And it's really sad when someone who is so much in the public eye and has so much money can't be saved from their addictions, it doesn't bode well for the rest of us who have neither fame nor fortune.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Houston's death is bringing out some genuinely nasty sides in people.

Did you seriously just thank someone for ending someone's life early? This is a thread for last respects, not last disrespects. Yes, you have the right to say what you want and have your opinion, but wow... thanking someone for making someone die early. That's messed up, period.

This reply has finally convinced me that we will need some sort of [sarcastic][/sarcastic] tag added to the message editor...

I can really only add to what scotrace said: scooter's reply was clearly and unmistakeably directed at Bobby Brown for the part he played in Whitney Houston's downfall and premature death. I can't really understand how one can fail to see the sarcasm in scooter's words.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
This reply has finally convinced me that we will need some sort of [sarcastic][/sarcastic] tag added to the message editor...

I can really only add to what scotrace said: scooters reply was clearly and unmistakeably directed at Bobby Brown for the part he played in Whitney Houston's downfall and premature death. I can't really understand how one can fail to see the sarcasm in scooter's words.

Agree about the tags. Also, no idea how that could have been read as anything BUT sarcasm. No need to apologize, scooter. You said nothing wrong.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I didn't mean to suggest that you specifically were. I just don't like society's focus on victim blaming. I just see their drug abuse and violence as two separate (but) related pieces.

If anything, I think her case (sadly like many others we hear about) should highlight how dangerous drug abuse is, and how no matter how rich or famous you are, it can and will destroy your life and those around you.

We're in agreement on all of that, but in Ms. Houston's case, I think we're just as likely to see her cast as a purely a victim (of her ex-husband, obviously). And while she was a victim, in that she suffered physical abuse from him, that appears to be only one aspect of the complicated tale of her downfall and untimely death.

In short, blaming him for her death appears to be the quick and easy explanation. It's likely much more complicated, though no less tragic, than that.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
In short, blaming him for her death appears to be the quick and easy explanation. It's likely much more complicated, though no less tragic, than that.

I agree, even though it can't be denied that Bobby Brown did play a very crucial role in this tragic story. But of course we can only see the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
What it's beginning to look like -- though we won't know until after the autopsy -- Ms. Houston had slipped and/or passed out in the bathtub and drowned. When her body was found her head was submerged in the tub.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Was it not Jim Morrison...another great charismatic talent that also died in the bath after taking drugs?

Whitney came from a family that was all class and she was brought up properly. Her prodigious talent was honed in the Church and later liberated to a wider audience. Trouble was she fell in love with a guy who was trash and together they both descended to the same common denominator. The daughter apparently has had a nervous breakdown. I am not surprised after a lifetime of suffering and wondering whether her mother would kill herself from drugs.

Whitney reckoned her struggle was with the Devil inside her. It is hard to imagine this being true when you look at the angelic smile on that beautiful face. Hopefully the dear Lord will consider that she has suffered enough on Earth.

Lux perpetua luce Deus.

It is too easy to blame someone else for the woes of another. Ultimately, Whitney was a broken person like so many. Why are some able to survive while others crumble? A little more empathy is needed in this world.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If anything, I think her case (sadly like many others we hear about) should highlight how dangerous drug abuse is, and how no matter how rich or famous you are, it can and will destroy your life and those around you. Granted, we don't know how she died (yet) but I imagine her years of drug abuse contributed in some way, if it led to an OD, a health condition, or a suicide. And it's really sad when someone who is so much in the public eye and has so much money can't be saved from their addictions, it doesn't bode well for the rest of us who have neither fame nor fortune.

This is so true, sheeplady.

It is too easy/commonplace to look upon others with disdain or ridicule the less fortunate. Instead we should realize how fortunate we are to not be in such a state, whether it be homeless, addicted to substances, or mentally ill.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Whitney. What a waste of talent. Is there something in the talented performer personality that points them toward substance abuse or do we just hear about it because they are popular?

Kabel

Familiar Face
Whitney. What a waste of talent. Is there something in the talented performer personality that points them toward substance abuse or do we just hear about it because they are popular?

The hearing of their abuse is of course due popularity logical, but a ""creative"" mind is usually an unstable/easily addicted mind. Also the people who the stars tend to hang out with are usually the kind of crowd who snort a lot of the so called 'blow' and such.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't think creative people are more or less unstable than anyone else. I think that's just a myth. There is just as much drug and alcohol abuse among the upper, middle and lower classes. Access may be greater to the wealthy, but only slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ