Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Gene

Practically Family
RIP Doc.

tumblr_m4t7gqdqRS1qzuh4qo1_500.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Veteran radio actor Dick Beals has died at the age of 85. He was a product of the WXYZ, Detroit programming department, where he was a regular supporting player with "The Lone Ranger," "The Green Hornet," and "Challenge of the Yukon," but with a difference -- due to a glandular disorder, he never experienced puberty, so his voice, for his entire life, remained that of a young boy. He capitalized on this, playing hundreds of kid roles on radio, in movie cartoons (he was the Calvin-like "Ralph Phillips" in a short-lived but memorable series for Chuck Jones at Warners in the 1950s), and most memorably in commercials -- where he was forever the voice of Speedy Alka-Seltzer. Baby boomers, meanwhile, will always know him as the voice of Gumby -- and also as Davey, of Davey and Goliath.

He was only 4 foot 7, but to anyone who ever met him, he was definitely larger than life.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Thanks, HoosierDaddy, for posting the link to Pretty Saro by Doc Watson. He evokes such emotion in it that I can almost feel how scared the men and women must have felt coming to this
great big country, not knowing what to expect. He will be missed greatly.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Richard Dawson, best known for hosting the gameshow, Family Feud, and for playing Newkirk on Hogan's Heroes. Passed away at the age of 79.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Who didn't love Dickie Dawson? I guess some people, but they're WRONG.
I saw a very interesting interview with him many years ago. He said his career was going nowhere in Britain, and he came to the US with basically no prospects. He somehow landed himself in just the right spot, and became a legend in his own time, in his own small way. He was a classic, classic example of the fact that the way to make it in TV is to be good at just being yourself.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
When I told my 12-year-old daughter the news, she was upset - Newkirk is her favorite character on Hogan's Heroes. But we figured we'd watch a few episodes to remember him by today.

Trol o l Guy died :(

[video=youtube_share;1orMXD_Ijbs]http://youtu.be/1orMXD_Ijbs[/video]

That's sad. On one of his videos on YouTube somebody had commented that he had suffered a stroke last month. Here he is early this year:

[video=youtube;PL8CD8PjVmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL8CD8PjVmA[/video]

Most people know Eduard Khil for his Trolo-lo Song. Here's an example showcasing his wonderful voice.

Ya Shagayu Po Moskve
(I'm Striding About Moscow)

[video=youtube;pF3QXnKw4vA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3QXnKw4vA[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot