Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Few know that Phyllis Diller was on a Playboy Magazine centerfold. It is true - May, 1971. She actually showed her backside on Johnny Carson one night when the magazine came out. There she was, just as she cackled, on the backside of the Playboy centerfold!

PhyllisDiller.jpg

R.I.P. Phyllis Diller

-dixon cannon

You know, you don't think of the impact these people have on your life until they pass sometimes. The Count was frequently quoted by my friends and I. We have to take inventory of our cheese at work and we will count them and go "Six, Six blocks! Ah, ah, ah!"

My family always says my one Uncle laughs like him, too.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, Tom. I loved the Count. He was one of my favorites on Sesame Street. There is a skit where he's in his castle counting and singing a song that I still love to this day.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
First man on the moon, Neil Armstrong has died. If you remember that night in 1969, then you're an official Baby Boomer. I just suddenly got a whole lot older. God speed, Neil Armstrong.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee. Of all the heroic figures of the second half of the century, I think I respected him the most -- because he refused to merchandise and market his image for the sake of a buck. Some accomplishments are too significant to be prostituted in the halls of commerce, and he lived his post-moon life with quiet dignity.

(And yes, I do remember that night.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A message from the Armstrong family:
"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

neilarmstrong.jpg
moon_lrg.jpg

Aboard the LEM just after the walk. Photo: Buzz Aldrin.

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
Neil had his first airplane ride right here in my home town. The Moon missions inspired me to draw big rockets on my bedroom wall with red and blue crayons and Mom let me. He was (and still is) a hero of mine. RIP.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just a comment. Neil died "as a result of complications following heart surgery". Not the first time I've read those words. Just a suggestion to my friends, if you're thinking of having heart surgey (or any surgery) after the age of 80, get SEVERAL opinions.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
A message from the Armstrong family:
"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

neilarmstrong.jpg
moon_lrg.jpg

Aboard the LEM just after the walk. Photo: Buzz Aldrin.

I love this. I will think of him the next time I see the moon give me a wink. :) I wish I got the opportunity to meet him up close. I did see him at an event several years ago in Hollywood. Just to think we were in the same room together was amazing. In fact, sometimes it's hard for me to believe that actually happened.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Steve Franken, who played Chatsworth Osbourne Jr on Dobie Gillis. If you're not of a certain very specific age range, you may not remember Dobie Gillis. But he was the personification of adolescent angst in the last couple of years before the great Hippy Revolution. Bob Denver's greatest role was on this show (the beatnik Maynard G Krebs), and of course who could forget the luscious Tuesday Weld as Thalia Menninger?
Chatsworth Osbourne Jr was the rich kid who was so spoiled even his mother used to say, "Nasty boy. Nasty" of him.
Anyhow Steve Franken's portrayal of him was hilarious and brilliant, like just about everything else about that show.
I am officially just a little bit older today.
http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/...ranken-dies/JsJ5cEJWVqnP2ju001YOKO/story.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails