Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

never heard of Michael Duncan ...but RIP

Michael Clark Duncan in The Green Mile

600full-the-green-mile-screenshot.jpg

thegreenmile1.jpg

Last edited:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
A message from the Armstrong family:
"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

neilarmstrong.jpg
moon_lrg.jpg

Aboard the LEM just after the walk. Photo: Buzz Aldrin.

I'm a bit late weighing in on this, but I just had to post my tribute to Neil Armstrong. I was ten years old when he stepped on the moon. I have never been able to find the words to express to those who were not yet born then just what it was like to be alive and to witness man's first steps on the moon. It was a time of great contrasts; the war in Vietnam was ripping the country apart. There were protests in the streets and at times it seemed, especially to a ten year old, that our Republic was not going to survive. But then there was the space program. Alan Sheppard, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong and all the other astronauts stood literally just (JUST) below God in my mind. They were the living embodiment of adventure. When Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon it brought not only the U.S. but the entire world together for a brief shining moment. We had actually put a man on the moon, and we had all seen it live in our living rooms. Our younger loungers may not fully appreciate how amazing just that aspect of the moon landing was in 1969. We really believed, down to the very core of our souls, that the universe was ours for the taking and there was absolutely nothing that we could not do. Through the years I've kept a little piece of that feeling locked inside, and I pull it out like a hidden treasure from time to time, to remind me that along with our capacity for evil the human race also has the capacity to do some truly amazing and wonderful things. Neil Armstrong is the face of that ability, for his skill as an aviator, as an astronaut, as a scientist, as an adventurer, but most of for his humanity. GOD SPEED NEIL ARMSTRONG!

Last edited:

Nikki

New in Town
The movie scene I will always remember is of Michael Clarke Duncan in Armageddon.

"I've been poked and prodded all day, now someone wants to ask me a lot of questions. Can't I just get a hug from one of you people?" and he's in tears when he asks this.

Rest in peace Michael Clarke Duncan. You will be missed.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The British entertainers Eric Sykes and Max Bygraves passed away recently too both I think aged 89. Eric Sykes was certainly working until very recently in spite of having very poor eyesight and hearing problems.

scooter

Practically Family
Old Rogue, I just want to tell you, what you had to say was moving and profound. We are about the same age, and both remember the astonishment, pride, and patriotism which filled the hearts of every American following Armstrong's accomplishment.

Andy Williams, whose corn-fed good looks, easygoing charm and smooth rendition of "Moon River" propelled him to the heights of music stardom in the early '60s, died Tuesday at his home in Branson, Mo., following a battle with bladder cancer, his family announced.

He was 84, and 2012 had marked his 75th year in showbiz.

Last edited:
Andy Williams, whose corn-fed good looks, easygoing charm and smooth rendition of "Moon River" propelled him to the heights of music stardom in the early '60s, died Tuesday at his home in Branson, Mo., following a battle with bladder cancer, his family announced. He was 84, and 2012 had marked his 75th year in showbiz.
Sad. What's more amazing is many kids today have no clue who these people were. I was talking with my son and his girlfriend over the weekend, and they're both very much musically literate, but this era has really, truly passed. We all grew up watching and hearing these good people on the TV and Radio. Holidays were made up of their voices and shows. Alas, nobody younger than 35 knows who they are. It's always been hard for me to absorb people being the "talk of the town" and known by almost everyone on the planet, to some person that died in an internet news story. Must be hard on those that lived it. RIP. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails