Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Pamela Rooke, better known by her nom de guerre Jordan, died recently aged just 66. You may never have known her name, but if punk rock and the London punk rock revolution of 1976/77 in particular ever meant anything to you, you will know her face. Hugely important figure in the look of punk rock as a fashion (anti-fashion) movement. She was utterly fearless, and dressed as she did for real, day to day - no hobbyist or scenester she. In recent decades, she became a vetinary nurse with a particular penchant for rescue cats. One of those genuine souls who never sold out, never became everything against which she had once railed, and never - unlike so many - dissolved into bitterness over conflicting, ego-driven memories. She was punk rock long before anyone had ever heard of it, and she will remain so long after every last scene Ozymandius has been reduced to a shattered visage in the desert.

View attachment 418106

Requiescat in pace

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ke-punk-rock-fashion-icon-jordan-dies-aged-66

My goodness this is sad. I've known about her for decades, since about 1981, when I started to get into punk and new wave as a teen.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Pamela Rooke, better known by her ... One of those genuine souls who never sold out, never became everything against which she had once railed, and never - unlike so many - dissolved into bitterness over conflicting, ego-driven memories. She was punk rock long before anyone had ever heard of it, and she will remain so long after every last scene Ozymandius has been reduced to a shattered visage in the desert.

View attachment 418106

Requiescat in pace

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ke-punk-rock-fashion-icon-jordan-dies-aged-66
" The hand that mocked, and the Heart that fed..." RIP

I was not familiar with the the name of the musician, and the song title was only vaguely familiar.

Then I played the song.

Ah, yes, that guy!

Canadian musician and songwriter Jerry Doucette has died, aged only 70:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rocker-jerry-doucette-dead-at-70-1.6157174

A great song with great legs.....it still gets regular play on the station I listen to each morning on the clock radio. Doucette was a working musician here in Vancouver for a very long time.....50 years or so. Played in many of the seminal bands here. "Mama, Let Him Play"....always.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian hockey legand Guy Lafleur has died, aged only 70.

No cause of death was given, but he had suffered from heart ailments and cancer in the recent past. He was notorious for his smoking (What Quebecker was not???). He essentially quit hockey at age 33 as the Canadiens wanted him to radically change his playing style. Apparently four Stanley Cups, six consecutive 50 plus goals and 100 plus points seasons were not good enough.

He came out of "retirement" later, and I had the chance to watch him play one game - in Quebec City for the now Colorado Avalanche then Quebec Nordiques against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs won.

His first name is of course pronounced "Gee", so the crown chanted "GEEEEEEEEEEEEE..." each time he touched the puck.

That was 1990.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian singer and songwriter Susan Jacks, founding member of the Poppy Family group, has died, aged 73, after waiting for but failing to get a second kidney transplant.

The groups best known songs included Which Way You Goin, Billy? and other folk-inspired songs.

[/URL]

let-s-go-production-still.jpg

poppy-family.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner