Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Yes, it did help the careers of many a Canadian performers.....some not so worthy of the airplay. I think Lightfoot was one not needing that. Him and Ian Tyson are about as iconic as you can get in a Canadian singer. Well you have to add in Stompin' Tom Connors for the trifecta. You havn't lived til ya heard "Sudbury Saturday Night"

Now you have me thinking (always a hazardous undertaking) since he gave up his citizenship. Do his prepatriation songs get a higher score than those he wrote/recorded when he was Canadian? Do you get 25% credit for CSN&Y songs? Same with Crazy Horse? What's the formula for a song he wrote and recorded as a Canadian but now performs as a US citizen?

In my younger days, I was able to tackle n-dimensional equations, but this is giving me a headache!

My Scooter

One of the Regulars
All this back and fourth is all opinion. Some people hate blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa some love him. Some people love RUSH, some do not! Like many things in life It's all a matter of personal opinion. Who cares where a person is from. All the artists mentioned above have given something back to society.

So let's enjoy and celebrate Mr. Lightfoot's life and what he has given to the world.

Menachim Pressler, famed classical pianist passes away at 99.

Back in 2010 when I was President of the Board at my church I started a rental initiative to make use of our wonderful building (and boost our falling revenue).

Great acoustics, comfortable theatre seating (not pews) made for a great performance venue. With all the civic performance venues booked due to the Winter Olympics the Recital Society booked the church for a concert by Mr Pressler.

In addition to being President & rental agent I was also the stage manager and roadie. We brought in a full sized Steinway grand piano to Mr Pressler's spec.

About an hour before performance I was setting up the stage lighting stands and in walked an elderly man, slight of stature, carrying a valise and wearing a black suit. I deduced he might be Mr Pressler himself. I greeted him from atop the step ladder as I adjusted the lights, he came on stage, sat at the piano, peered out into the room. Then he stood up, walked over to my ladder and said. "Excuse me sir, would it be too much bother for you to help move my piano?". I immediately climbed down and with me on one end and the 86 year old Pressler on the other we very carefully moved the Steinway about a foot. He shook my hand and thanked me for the assistance and then he sat down at the piano to warm up his hands

I thought that when I grow up I want to display that high level of grace and humility.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Menachim Pressler, famed classical pianist passes away at 99.

Back in 2010 when I was President of the Board at my church I started a rental initiative to make use of our wonderful building (and boost our falling revenue).

Great acoustics, comfortable theatre seating (not pews) made for a great performance venue. With all the civic performance venues booked due to the Winter Olympics the Recital Society booked the church for a concert by Mr Pressler.

In addition to being President & rental agent I was also the stage manager and roadie. We brought in a full sized Steinway grand piano to Mr Pressler's spec.

About an hour before performance I was setting up the stage lighting stands and in walked an elderly man, slight of stature, carrying a valise and wearing a black suit. I deduced he might be Mr Pressler himself. I greeted him from atop the step ladder as I adjusted the lights, he came on stage, sat at the piano, peered out into the room. Then he stood up, walked over to my ladder and said. "Excuse me sir, would it be too much bother for you to help move my piano?". I immediately climbed down and with me on one end and the 86 year old Pressler on the other we very carefully moved the Steinway about a foot. He shook my hand and thanked me for the assistance and then he sat down at the piano to warm up his hands

I thought that when I grow up I want to display that high level of grace and humility.
That's the kind of story I like to hear about a "professional musician". We've many venues here in the Capital District of New York. As a musician you hear a lot of apocryphal stories of famous folks acting like asshats on and off the stage. One of the stories that rankled me most was when Jimmy Page of Led Zep was in town doing a gig with his then current band. At one point he called for another guitar and his guitar tech was a little late in getting it out to him. He proceeded to cuss at the kid then kick him squarely in the ass before he could scurry off stage. All of this took place on stage, in full view of the audience... Unacceptable in my opinion. But I'm not a guitar god so... who cares? Well I do!

Worf

That's the kind of story I like to hear about a "professional musician". We've many venues here in the Capital District of New York. As a musician you hear a lot of apocryphal stories of famous folks acting like asshats on and off the stage. One of the stories that rankled me most was when Jimmy Page of Led Zep was in town doing a gig with his then current band. At one point he called for another guitar and his guitar tech was a little late in getting it out to him. He proceeded to cuss at the kid then kick him squarely in the ass before he could scurry off stage. All of this took place on stage, in full view of the audience... Unacceptable in my opinion. But I'm not a guitar god so... who cares? Well I do!

Worf
I am a working class kid so classical music & the arts in general were not part of my upbringing.....truly foreign territory.

I had this image in my head of haughty (hoity toity) folks looking down on the plebes like me. I can say after the years of working with them at the church my view was completely wrong headed. I can't recall an incident of encountering a demanding star. I would be there as stage manager/janitor for the rehearsals. I would make them tea in the green room, seek safety pins to repair a garment hem and they (as a group) were always humble and most appreciative. Totally blew up my image of the purported "rich and privileged". And Mr Pressler was at the top of list of the gracious.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Jim Brown, the greatest running back to ever play American Football, dead at 87. Other have more yards, but no one did it in as short amount of time as Brown. Should've won the Heisman as well but the 60's were the 60's. Decent actor who starred in some good films. Not a saint by any stretch but he was involved in the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's when to do so could cost you your career AT Best and your life at worst.

Worf

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The 'Queen of 'Rock 'n' Roll', Tina Turner has died following a long illness, aged 83.

1684957080197.png

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Saw her live at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) in Saratoga many years ago. She was at the height of her "comeback". I remember watching in awe as she soared through "Simply The Best". 2 hours plus of nothing but singing and dancing, we were in the palm of her hand! She was a "force of nature". Uncontrollable, unstoppable and totally in control of the stage and her band. If I could choose a boss battle of the ages... a "prime" James Brown vs. Tina Turner.... My god what a fight! Glad I got to experience her live and in living color.

Worf

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

I love the song and the true story behind the song. However, I was intrigued by how the writer saw this beauty because the actual bar is not very close to the Malecon. Nevertheless, I was there having a drink with a friend who made it a point for us to visit that bar at the end of our evening. The bar is nothing special. but does go around a very nice corner. I assume that when it was built the were fewer buildings in front of it? The funny story is that later, my friend introduced me to her friend who was actually the best friend of the actual blue-eyed beauty who inspired the song. This was in the mid-'80s. To my surprise, the lady worked as a guide for tourists in both Ipanema and Copa Cabana. This visit was a special event for me because I stayed 3 weeks in Brazil and had the opportunity to spend New Year's in Rio. Brazilians truly know how to bring the New Year.

Astrud will never be forgotten.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
R.I.P., George Winston. Passed away at age 74 after a long battle with cancer.

I guess, at the time, he was classified as kinda New Age. I never thought that, however. He was probably one of the first artists to drag me away from rock’n’roll and nudge me toward what —for me— passed as classical. What can I say? I was young. Years later, I went through a real classical phase. I’m sure George Winston laid the groundwork for that. A talented pianist, no matter how you classify his music. Rest In Peace.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/07/1180774279/george-winston-new-age-pianist-obituary

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Olympian Tori Bowie die of complications of childbirth
complicationshttps://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-olympic-medalist-sprinter-tori-bowie-died-due-to-complications-of-childbirth-001430113.html

Tori was a great human being and champion. She will always be remember for her sweet and respectful personality.

download (4).jpeg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Essential Marvel Comics artist JOHN ROMITA.

While not quite a staggering creative genius at the level of Kirby, Ditko, Adams, Steranko, etc... he was an outstanding artist - especially good at character drama, not just action - and a vital part of the Marvel organization, acting as onsite art director for years. His Amazing Spider-Man run was/is mega-classic!

asm050.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto