Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dedicated leather jacket styles for car guys like me...

Navin323i

Practically Family
Greetings Gents,

I've been meaning to ask this question for sometime now but kept putting it off. I've always wondered... motorcycle guys get all the cool leather jacket gear with jackets dedicated to bike riding (primary reason being protection for the rider of course), but historically have there ever been leather jackets dedicated to those of us like myself who prefer 4 wheels to 2 wheels?

I've heard of "car coats" and have seen these in leather but I find them annoying in the sense that the length goes well below the waist so the jacket wearer would wind up sitting on the jacket area below the waist. I hate sitting on the lower part of my jackets. I wonder why car coats are so long... you would think they should be waist length so you don't sit on the jacket.

I was looking at Aero's jackets and saw a few like the Veste de Rallye that are car themed in a historical sense. Maybe the Aero NYPD jacket could be considered "car themed" too since police officers drive police cars in addition to motorcycles.

Cheers,
Navin

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of long half belt jackets that are perfect car coats one is 29 inches and the one 30 inches, as you sit down they just ride up enough for me not to sit on them and the expansion pleats are great for reaching forward to the wheel.

I have a nubuck sports jacket (orvis bandera) which is a very comfotable jacket for everything except driving for one reason, the nubuck doesnt "rub along" very well on leather seats, it just refuses to slide against it atall. I dont know if it is a general thing or just this particular leather/nubuck combination but just something to bear in mind.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Modern cars (with their effective heating) and coats don't go together well. Car coats belong to the era of open cars and inadequate heating. I prefer to wear a short leather jacket in the car during winter.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yep.............open the car and throw the jacket in the back. Fire it up, put the heated seats on "HIGH" to start. Plod on down the road and watch the water temp gauge. When ready, throw on some heat and crack the sliding sun roof for fresh air.
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Jackets? We don't need no stinkin' jackets!

Edward

Bartender
I've heard of "car coats" and have seen these in leather but I find them annoying in the sense that the length goes well below the waist so the jacket wearer would wind up sitting on the jacket area below the waist. I hate sitting on the lower part of my jackets. I wonder why car coats are so long... you would think they should be waist length so you don't sit on the jacket.

My understanding of a car coat is that it is cut for driving in that, being that much shorter than a regular overcoat, there is no danger of it getting caught up among the pedals or in the way of your feet. It's also less prone to being badly wrinkled when wearing it sitting. Probably the reason you see so few jackets designed for drivers these days boils down to, as others have said, modern heated cars and suchlike. If you want a great leather for Winter driving, I'd suggest looking into jackets that were designed as flying jackets - an Irvin, say, or maybe a B3 or - if you want horsehide specifically rather than sheepskin, maybe a B2. There's not an enormous difference, in practical terms, between the sitting position of a car driver nowadays and a pilot back then, so a flying jacket would work well IMO.

Dav

One Too Many
I get what you mean about sitting on the jacket, the Cheyenne in my avatar is 32", I'm 6', if it was any longer I would be sitting on it and it would be uncomfortable to drive in, as it is though it's perfect. If you were going to order one I'd suggest sitting on a stool in say your NYPD and getting someone to measure from the collar to see what length you could get away with.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Modern cars (with their effective heating) and coats don't go together well. Car coats belong to the era of open cars and inadequate heating. I prefer to wear a short leather jacket in the car during winter.

Hey Seb! With my BMW I tend to drive with the windows down (prefer hearing the sound of my twin screw supercharged 6 cylinder engine instead of the radio, lol) so I find wearing my Aero NYPD jacket whenever I drive to be a good thing. :D
Car coats need to be shorter in length so you don't sit on them (unless they ride up enough like Tony's jacket).

Navin323i

Practically Family
Yep.............open the car and throw the jacket in the back. Fire it up, put the heated seats on "HIGH" to start. Plod on down the road and watch the water temp gauge. When ready, throw on some heat and crack the sliding sun roof for fresh air.
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Jackets? We don't need no stinkin' jackets!

Haha!! Well put, my friend. Jackets weren't made to throw in the back though... call me stubborn but I wear my Aero NYPD jacket anytime I'm driving in the cooler months of course. :D

I get what you mean about sitting on the jacket, the Cheyenne in my avatar is 32", I'm 6', if it was any longer I would be sitting on it and it would be uncomfortable to drive in, as it is though it's perfect. If you were going to order one I'd suggest sitting on a stool in say your NYPD and getting someone to measure from the collar to see what length you could get away with.

That's a GREAT idea, Nick! Thank you so much!! I actually have another Aero jacket on order so this will be my other leather jacket I'll enjoy wearing while driving. Should see it hopefully in 3 months. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
My understanding of a car coat is that it is cut for driving in that, being that much shorter than a regular overcoat, there is no danger of it getting caught up among the pedals or in the way of your feet. It's also less prone to being badly wrinkled when wearing it sitting. Probably the reason you see so few jackets designed for drivers these days boils down to, as others have said, modern heated cars and suchlike. If you want a great leather for Winter driving, I'd suggest looking into jackets that were designed as flying jackets - an Irvin, say, or maybe a B3 or - if you want horsehide specifically rather than sheepskin, maybe a B2. There's not an enormous difference, in practical terms, between the sitting position of a car driver nowadays and a pilot back then, so a flying jacket would work well IMO.

Thanks for the info, Edward! Great idea about the B2. I've never actually heard of the B2... I'm still new to military style jackets and I'm mostly familiar with A2, G1, and the D3. Found a nice Schott A2 from the Vietnam era that I'm considering picking up. :)

Hi Navin,

If you are consiering a coat rather than a short jacket you might want to look at Eastman's Brooklands Motoring Coat. Its based on their Luftwaffe 3/4 length flying coat. The style is very vintage but does not come in horsehide from what I understand. You may also want to consider the Pegasus Jackets Safari coat which fits like a sports jacket and is available in Horse.

Hope this helps your decision.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hi Navin,

If you are consiering a coat rather than a short jacket you might want to look at Eastman's Brooklands Motoring Coat. Its based on their Luftwaffe 3/4 length flying coat. The style is very vintage but does not come in horsehide from what I understand. You may also want to consider the Pegasus Jackets Safari coat which fits like a sports jacket and is available in Horse.

Hope this helps your decision.

Thanks for your message! I'll definitely check out your Pegasus coat and I have heard of the Eastman Brooklands Motoring coat but was concerned since it was a 3/4 length coat that there would be a risk of me sitting on the jacket when sitting down in my car seat.

You're welcome Nevin! Let me know what you think of the Safari. I'm always looking for feedback. The Safari is not quite a 3/4 coat but more like a suit jacket length. It is double vented in the back so it should work great in a car.

Windward

Practically Family
WSUCJ = Windward Sport Utility Car Jacket

Hey Navin - I also love driving while wearing my leather jackets - Ok Ok ... not all at once :)

My jackets for driving are calling WSUCJ = Windward Sport Utility Car Jacket.

Because its a short jacket just below the belt so I don't sit on it while driving - it was annoying for me to sit on a long and heavy leather jacket or a coat. The broad leather waist band, with ELASTICATED sides seems to be more practically for me than side buckles.
And the TWO breast pockets are perfect while driving to stow my sunglasses (left) and cell phone (right) and sometimes things on short call - if not stowed in one of the inside pockets.

Good luck with your new jacket !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24