Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deja Vu & Recurring Dreams!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
:eek:

I am interested to know what you all thought about deja vu and recurring dreams, and your own experiences. I seem to experience deja vu on a fairly regular basis and it's very quick. A lot of people I talk to about it say it's a good thing as that means you are doing what you are supposed to be doing- meaning the path you are taking now is what you are to take to lead you to where you are meant to be.

As far as recurring dreams, I have many and they come in spurts as in I will have them for a few months then none for a long time and so on. They also rotate depending on what is going on in my life. Without being too personal- but I was hoping that someone who is savvy in this area might recognize that they all mean I am going to win the lottery or capture the heart of a charming man. :D

Multiple tornados- usually 4 or more. I am far enough away from them to be in real danger, but close enough to be in awe

Airplanes/air travel- never scary but almost always peculiar

Modeling- I am always peering out of my own eyes while on the runway

Strange, short haircuts- I am getting my hair chopped off, but it's never about the haircut itself, but the process of getting it cut

The usual teeth falling out- always the back ones

I know I have a few more but I cannot remember now.[huh] ...and you?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I very rarely have deja vu (I hope that's not a bad sign!), but recurring dreams are not uncommon for me.

The 2 themes that show up the most in my dreams are usually scary stormy oceans (I'm usually on land, but on a bridge or on a beach with no easy way out) or someone is attacking me or my family.

Those dreams totally scare me, but are fascinating at the same time. Then again, I'm one of those people that becomes obsessed with the things that scare them (like giant squid!), so they are kind of fun for me in a way.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
katiemakeup said:
The usual teeth falling out

Wait, the "usual teeth falling out?" I just had this dream a week or so ago for the first time and it scared the heck out of me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive dreamed I was going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. But the water was nothing but pennies...strange.

Oddly most of my dreams have credits at the end. No kidding. Full color, and with credits lol

I get the Vu all the time. Had it today, and even picked up on some of that the person was saying. Creeeeeeeepy.

LD

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I experience deja vu all the time--a lot lately in fact. I agree that it means you are on the right path :)

As for dreams, I often dream that I am running, or going somewhere, but can't quite wake up. I hate that!

I also often have premonitory dreams that always come true, either almost immediately or later on. Those have become more frequent in the last few years, and are becoming more and more clear (originally, I dreamed in imagery, but now I often hear someone telling me plain as day about something that is going to happen.)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Reboot

I had an instance of deja vu just the pther day while driving my 9 year old daughter to school. We talked about what that means.

Remember The Matrix? A deja vu experience means that something in the Matrix has just been changed...

I have rarely had recurring dreams but there is one that comes at times of stress: I am being chased by a Deinonychus and cannot get away! Not just any old carnivorous dinosaur. Weird but I somehow know which species it is. Maybe therapy is in order?

040531.rugops_01-sm.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Oddly most of my dreams have credits at the end. No kidding. Full color, and with credits lol

LD

:eek: :eek: :eek: I do that too! My dreams sometimes play like movies or a television show, also full color. My cousin said I was crazy. :(

I sometimes dream something and then it happens months, sometimes months later.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Multiple Tornadoes.

Wow! I had one like that some time ago. I was walking along the oh so familiar shore of lake Erie right near where I live. It was a dark and stormy day. :)) )
I was just casually strolling along amongst a myriad of tornadoes of all sizes. Gigantic funnel clouds of epic proportions were everywhere, as well as little dust devil sized twisters. One of which scurried by me merely a few feet away.
Ordinarily, cataclysmic weather such as this would freak me out, as it would anyone else I'm sure. But I just strolled along the beach as if I were taking a normal leisurely walk.
I think a lot of dreams are messages from another dimension in space/time. Simply put, they are spiritual in nature and convey an important message.
I think the message of my particular dream was that I was to have faith and to persevere in the face of adversity. That no "obstacle" was insurmountable, and that what appears to be fraught with danger is really harmless.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I read once that some scientists believe that deja vu is the result of a lapse between the perception in one eye to the other, such that the right eye sees something and transmits it to the brain, then the left eye does the same thing a fraction of a second later, fooling the mind into a sense that it had happened before.

"Back off, Man, I'm a scientist." ;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I also often have premonitory dreams that always come true, either almost immediately or later on. Those have become more frequent in the last few years, and are becoming more and more clear (originally, I dreamed in imagery, but now I often hear someone telling me plain as day about something that is going to happen.)

Yeah? They tell you something and it actually happens??? That's cool. Got a good example that you would share?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, my most recent one hasn't come to pass yet :)

The first one I recall occurred when I was about 17. It was very bizarre and involved my friends two horses, who told their owner "Mom, we're hungry!", and so she gave them some hay. Two days later we found out that the owners of the place we boarded our horses at weren't feeding them every day because they were losing money--basically, they would feed every other horse each day, letting the other ones frantically watch while the lucky ones ate their meals. The horse who said she was hungry was the one who had gotten skipped that day. So, not exactly profound but the first dream I had that ended up coming true :)

I also have had several dreams where an old starlet or WWII vet has come to me to tell me they have died. I dreamed that Robert Morgan died the night before he did, and another person, whom I did not recognize, came to me personally to tell me that he had passed on. I woke up from that dream so terribly sad :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been out of radio for ten years now, but I'm still haunted by dreams that I'm about to go on the air with a newscast and someone's interfering with me -- messing up my copy, making noise in the studio, unplugging cables, or otherwise harassing me while I'm trying to do my job. They're very vivid dreams, even down to the dust/mildew/stale coffee smell in the studio.

I don't have deja vu much anymore -- lately I'm *forgetting* things I've just done, rather than remembering things I haven't done yet...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I often have dreams that are later Deja Vu. Never anything exciting - just mainly when I'm with someone. Small glimpses.
I have told people about these dreams and later they come to pass.
I also have recurring dreams but I forget them really quickly. It is only when I have it again I think 'Oh yeah, had this one before'. I have quite alot of dreams about falling. I always land and think in the dream, now I am going to die, and as I fade away, I wake up. I don't find them scary but sometimes I feel a bit of the old adreneline when I wake up. I think it might be a message to not be scared of death but then I'm not anyway!
In life, I am actually quite scared not of heights themselves but of falling from a great height. This started after I fell down some stairs about ten years ago.
Generally, I have very strange dreams and in the dream, I'm thinking 'This is weird and couldn't happen in real life!' so I know I am dreaming. They rarely feel 'real' to me.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I read once that some scientists believe that deja vu is the result of a lapse between the perception in one eye to the other, such that the right eye sees something and transmits it to the brain, then the left eye does the same thing a fraction of a second later, fooling the mind into a sense that it had happened before.

trouble is, blind people can experience deja vu too, albeit in a purely auditory way.

i believe it is simply a neurological re-route, where a present time event is accidentally experienced via the memory channel and is coloured with the familiar sensation of 'memory'. the sensation of familiarity is so real that we can't believe it hasn't happened before.

............................................................................................

most dreams can be categorized as either anxiety motifs caused by fears of loss of control (teeth falling out, disasters etc.) or wish fullfilment (meeting famous people, erotic situautions with someone you have a crush on etc.)
the rest tend to be a mish mash of all the trivia going on in your life and aren't specifically coloured with emotion (going shopping, going to work etc.)
i don't believe in premonition since the future doesn't exist. but i see no reason why you can't PREDICT what might happen in the future with a fair degree of accuracy.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think everyone experience deja vu to some extent. Once we are adults we have a mental library of stored memories, ideas and images so it's logical that some will trigger when a similar event or visit to a place occurs. Long forgotten stuff that is still in the mind gets a tickle when we look at something we think we've never seen though we may have decades earlier and it seems familiar.

As for recurring dreams I have had only one throughout my life. It is more of a theme than a dupplicate played over and over. I envision a plane crash as an observer on the ground.[huh]

Kim_B

Practically Family
When I was a little girl and I'd stay at my Grandparent's house (my mom would take me there in the mornings before she'd leave for work as we lived next door) I always had dreams of being chased by a train with a mean face. I'd run as fast as I could, but never got anywhere...the train never hit me either.

I'd also have dreams (still when I was little) of driving in a car on a winding road in the mountains and I couldn't steer or get it to stop in time. I'd always wake up before going over the edge.

Now days I seem to have very vivid dreams...often my teeth will fall out or become very loose (especially if I fall asleep without brushing my teeth or feel I haven't brushed them well enough) and these always cause me great dismay. I'll be paranoid all day following those dreams that my teeth really are loose and going to fall out. I've been yelled at by my dentist for brushing too aggressively, causing my gums to recede!

There are a couple others, but they are a little scary and very personal...and those cause me the most unsettled feelings after I have them.

I hate it when you have dreams and they seem so real that it's hard to distinguish between the dream and reality and stay with you all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore