Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Heads...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ok, first let me say that I really don't need to get interested in anything else at this time. Especially vintage or repro denim. After visiting some websites and ebay I have found out that stuff is expensive. Right now I'm not really interested in the nuances of vintage denim and the differences in vintage, repro and modern. All I want is a good pair of jeans that maybe approximate the vintage 'look'. I really don't want to spend a fortune on britches.

Does anybody know of a source of blue jeans that approximate the vintage look for $20 or so? I'm not a Levi's fan because of their politics, and 501s are being made in Mexico. I can't see spending 30 to 50 bucks on a pair of those jeans either.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, just fer britches

Since Sears seems to be slimming down the floor space they allow Land's End products to one rack, I picked up two pair of LE jeans for $15 each last weekend. They're not fancy, or split-backed, or any of that, but they sit at the waist and I can roll the cuffs up about 3". For kicking around (and training the new pups, as you'll appreciate) they're FINE.
Some of those vintage blue jean styles (wouldn't they be dungarees?) are really neat, and I'd get a pair, but $100+ for jeans? I'd rather have another pair of Bill's, or save it to see what Shanghai Jack comes up with. Not hard to think of better uses for a hundred clams than jeans.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've been wearing the new Wrangler carpenter jeans- not vintage, but full cut and dark and, at the local KMart- about $12.95. Cut off the useless paintbrush loop, pair' em with a plain white shirt and you can almost pass for Bogey in To Have and Have Not.
Just my .02 cents worth!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I have been wearing Wrangler Rugged Wear or Wrangler 5 Stars from Wally World for several years now. The relaxed fit is roomier than the reg straight leg. 12 to 15 bucks a pop, so not real pricey to say the least.

I was at a dept store the other day and inspected the Levi's 501, once my favorite jean, and discovered they were hencho en Mexico, for $50. The Wranglers that I have been wearing are hencho en Mexico too, and like i said about $15.

shamus

Suspended
You know for about 10 buck top you can get a nice pair of Levis 501's made in the USA from most thrift stores.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Working Cowboys- in the Good Ole U.S. of A.- wear Wranglers- usually the 20X Model- full cut jeans because the rise is higher and the cut more comfortable than the 501's.
I never have any luck finding vintage jeans at the thrift stores.
Have scored excellent vintage dress trousers, but never any decent jeans.
I love the Navy-issue dungarees from WPG and some of the other re-enactor supply houses, but they're pretty pricey to work in. More for casual wear.

Bebop

Practically Family
I must have a strange body. I can only wear Wrangler 931 slim fit when it comes to jeans. Levi's put my wallet right where I sit and it makes it very uncomfortable. Wranglers are high rise and keep my wallet up above my sitting area. That is especially nice when horseback riding. No other jeans fit well on me. Comfort is the most important thing when it comes to jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass