Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

So happy to have found on eBay this deadstock Made in Japan Levi’s 506xx (type 1) early model (no flap on the chest pocket, donuts button etc). According to the label it was made in 1997. Here a few pics of the jacket:

c21381f87b6fa58a212123436efb0920.jpg

75e7b0803d03232871e68602f250afbc.jpg

16b0c5696d7f2d1505e11a59d97a578f.jpg

2aacd3a3350f6538ff54abd2c30727b8.jpg

Now it goes in the washing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is nice!!!

Where were they selling these special edition jackets? Could you buy them at any Levi store?

Mich486

One Too Many
I believe these have been sold out in a while. I’m not a LVC expert but I don’t think these were ever sold outside Japan. In fact, this jacket I found was shipped from there. There are several on eBay but not many in NOS condition, hence my excitement. This apparently has been stored for 20+ years.

In the Levi’s stores that also keep LVC you should be able to find the later version of the Type I, the one that they also sell on the Levi’s website (also Aero stock them, bought Type II from them a few months ago). ;)

I believe these have been sold out in a while. I’m not a LVC expert but I don’t think these were ever sold outside Japan. In fact, this jacket I found was shipped from there. There are several on eBay but not many in NOS condition, hence my excitement. This apparently has been stored for 20+ years.

In the Levi’s stores that also keep LVC you should be able to find the later version of the Type I, the one that they also sell on the Levi’s website (also Aero stock them, bought Type II from them a few months ago). ;)

So it's Japan again, huh..?

I just noticed they have a "heritage" line on their website and there's a 557XX but it costs nearly $400. As much as an IH but then again, an original is still an original, after all...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is nice!!!

Where were they selling these special edition jackets? Could you buy them at any Levi store?
These were made in the 90s for Japanese market by the Japanese. You will notice the factory code are J02, J21, J22....
To my knowledge, Levi's Japan started making repros even before Levi's started making the LVC line official. Back then the Japanese were not allowed to use the 501 number on their repro of early 1900s 501s. They were marked as 701xx.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d293755821
The Japanese production run stopped when LVC came on the market.
These deadstock Japanese made type 1 and 2 are getting rarer and more pricey.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x542249628
Around 3-4 years ago, before the denim jackets made the comeback, there were a lot of these 90s deadstocks on Yahoo Auction JP and at quite reasonable price (a bargain compared to a USA made LVC).
Curiously, all Japanese made Type 1 back then are without pocket flap i.e. the so called WW2 model.

Blackadder

So it's Japan again, huh..?

I just noticed they have a "heritage" line on their website and there's a 557XX but it costs nearly $400. As much as an IH but then again, an original is still an original, after all...
You mean the "Authorized Vintage" items?

Mich486

One Too Many
These were made in the 90s for Japanese market by the Japanese. You will notice the factory code are J02, J21, J22....
To my knowledge, Levi's Japan started making repros even before Levi's started making the LVC line official. Back then the Japanese were not allowed to use the 501 number on their repro of early 1900s 501s. They were marked as 701xx.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d293755821
The Japanese production run stopped when LVC came on the market.
These deadstock Japanese made type 1 and 2 are getting rarer and more pricey.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x542249628
Around 3-4 years ago, before the denim jackets made the comeback, there were a lot of these 90s deadstocks on Yahoo Auction JP and at quite reasonable price (a bargain compared to a USA made LVC).
Curiously, all Japanese made Type 1 back then are without pocket flap i.e. the so called WW2 model.

Very interesting piece of info. Thanks for sharing!

I paid for it $225 and I’m not sure if that’s necessarily a good deal for this specific model but much less than a new LVC type 1 and the denim quality seems at least on par with the LVC made in US type II I have.

Blackadder

Very interesting piece of info. Thanks for sharing!

I paid for it $225 and I’m not sure if that’s necessarily a good deal for this specific model but much less than a new LVC type 1 and the denim quality seems at least on par with the LVC made in US type II I have.

It is a good deal today because the deadstock are getting rarer and rarer. Even the Japanese are raising their prices on Yahoo Auction JP. Plenty of used though because the Japanese production lasted a few years.
I also bought one of the Japanese deadstock repros a few years ago but it is a 557xx.

Last edited:
It is a good deal today because the deadstock are getting rarer and rarer. Even the Japanese are raising their prices on Yahoo Auction JP. Plenty of used though because the Japanese production lasted a few years.
I also bought one of the Japanese deadstock repros a few years ago but it is a 557xx.

Could you share some photos of it?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
New Lee Rider (European Collection) XL. 1/4 the price of IH. Fairly long cut, pretty decent denim.
Lee Rider Fit Pic.JPG

:)

The iconic Lee® 101 Rider Jacket in a slim fit with twin chest pockets, authentic zig zag stitched placket, pale brass Lee® 101 buttons, faded tobacco stitching, and cats eye adjustors.

Cut from Lee® Left Hand denim – a high grade selvage fabric from Japan's legendary Kurashiki Mill developed exclusively for Lee® with a naturally superior softness and an upbeat blue tone via 16 dip natural indigo process.

Woven on vintage 1920's looms from the finest cotton this 12 1/2 oz. denim has a pale grey selvage line. Made with more than 125 years of denim expertise.

New Lee Rider (European Collection) XL. 1/4 the price of IH. Fairly long cut, pretty decent denim.
View attachment 127483
:)

The iconic Lee® 101 Rider Jacket in a slim fit with twin chest pockets, authentic zig zag stitched placket, pale brass Lee® 101 buttons, faded tobacco stitching, and cats eye adjustors.

Cut from Lee® Left Hand denim – a high grade selvage fabric from Japan's legendary Kurashiki Mill developed exclusively for Lee® with a naturally superior softness and an upbeat blue tone via 16 dip natural indigo process.

Woven on vintage 1920's looms from the finest cotton this 12 1/2 oz. denim has a pale grey selvage line. Made with more than 125 years of denim expertise.

Beautiful jacket. Extremely perfect collar! As for the price, lol, everything is 1/4 of IH!

Man, website says these are "extinct". Damn.

Yep. They've had only one run of these back in 2013 or so. All sold out and no plans for a revival, sadly, but from what I hear, there may be another version of a Type-3 with fleece lining.

There's been some fuss about the sizing on these as they were apparently grossly undersized but I don't think it was that bad. My jacket is an L and it fits me just right.

You know, even now after my hype for these wore out, I still think these are absolutely amazing and among the best jackets I've ever had (and that includes leather). The 21oz denim is shockingly beautiful. Damn thing's gotten me more compliments than all of my other jackets combined. So if anyone's thinking of getting one, all I can say is go for it.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Yep. They've had only one run of these back in 2013 or so. All sold out and no plans for a revival, sadly, but from what I hear, there may be another version of a Type-3 with fleece lining.

There's been some fuss about the sizing on these as they were apparently grossly undersized but I don't think it was that bad. My jacket is an L and it fits me just right.

You know, even now after my hype for these wore out, I still think these are absolutely amazing and among the best jackets I've ever had (and that includes leather). The 21oz denim is shockingly beautiful. Damn thing's gotten me more compliments than all of my other jackets combined. So if anyone's thinking of getting one, all I can say is go for it.
If I could find one in size M, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Grail jacket in my books.

If I could find one in size M, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Grail jacket in my books.

Grail jacket indeed. Mine wasn't cheap but it was brand new and it was literally the only time I haven't had any buyers remorse after buying a jacket. Only remorse I have is that I wore it three times since I got it, which was in late spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran