Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby Deconstruction

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This post was borrowed from my blog, but I know folks here might be interested in it, too.

Derbies.jpg

This thread hopes to take some of the mystery out the crafting of Derbies, as some of the construction methods are rather unique to these stiff hats. Some of the methods, such as the brim curling and binding methods, apply to other older styles of hats, such as Top Hats and Homburgs, but are different from soft felt hats.

Felt bodies for Derbies are crafted as with any other hat, but one important distinction is that they are impregnated with shellac after the felting process was complete, but before they are dyed. The shellac is what gives the Derby its stiffness. All hats, even soft felt ones, have a certain amount of shellac in them, but Derbies have more than any other.

Blocking the Hat
Originally, Derbies felt bodies, as with all hats, were stretched over wooden blocks that gave the crown the desired shape. Because of the copious amounts of shellac in the felt, the bodies were heated and then muscled down onto the block. Once done, the next step was to iron the crown to set the shape, and to pounce (or sand smooth) the surface to the required finish.

Derbies require a different block shape than a soft felt hat. For one thing, the crowns are not creased in any way, and so they don’t need to be taller to accommodate the crease. The height of the block is the height of the finished hat’s crown. For a soft felt hat, the block is taller than the finished crown height, to give enough felt for, say, a deep center crease, as was popular in the 1920s and 1930s.

Additionally, the profiles of the crowns will be different. There are different styles of crowns for Derbies, just as there are different styles of crowns for soft felt hats, and each one gives different results. In general, though, Derby blocks are easily distinguished from their shellac-deficient brethren.

Here are a couple of photos of hat blocks to give you some idea of the different profiles. They are different hat sizes, but just look at the height and profiles. The block on the left is a Derby block. It’s only five-inches tall, and has more rounded shoulders than the six-inch soft felt hat block on the right.

Side View
BlocksSide.jpg

Front View
BlocksFront.jpg

Most manufacturers eventually switched to hydraulic presses to block their stiff hats. Crofut & Knapp, who once boasted about their hand-blocked Derbies and chided their competitors for using hydraulic presses, eventually switched to the presses as well. The bodies were heated in a gas or electric oven, and then placed upside down inside an iron mold in the shape of the crown. A rubber bladder was placed inside the crown and filled with cold water, which forced the sides of the crown up against the iron mold and gave the Derby its final crown shape.

C&K Postcard showing the Hydraulic Press
DerbyPress.jpg

Rounding the Brim
Whereas most hat brims have a fixed brim width all the way around, Derbies require a wider brim on the sides than on the front. This allows the brim curler to give the brim a very short, perpendicular curl on the front, and a wider, taller, and more pronounced curl on the sides. To achieve this extra width on the sides, known as a dimensional brim, a rounding jack with special adjustments for Derbies is used. The knobs adjust the contact points so that the jack rides farther out on the sides from the crown than on the front. Derbies generally are 1/8" to 1/4" wider on the sides than the front.

The Business End of a Rounding Jack
RJ2.jpg

Ironing the Brim
Once the brim is cut to the correct size, the brim break, the angle where the brim meets the crown, is set by ironing the brim on a set board. It’s a concave board that adds the proper curl to the flat portion of the brim. I don’t have a set board, but here is a drawing from Henry L. Ermatinger’s 1919 Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating.
SetBoard.jpg

Making the Front and Rear Curls
The secret to a stylish Derby is in the brim curl, which, is properly done by hand by a master curler, an artiste extraordinaire.

The side curl is called a D’Orsay curl. It can be open, as seen here in this Dobbs Derby, or ironed much flatter, more like an overwelt that isn’t sewn down.
Curl.jpg

Derby curling was originally done by hand with specialized tools, but by the time of the 1958-59 Derby revival, this had changed. Between not having any expert curlers in the factories due to sparse sales, and also for the sake of the profit margin, the style of curl was changed to a very simple upright curl, the same as contemporary Homburgs. This could be done with a flange and greatly sped up the manufacturing process by not requiring the hand labor, but the classic sense of elegance was lost.

Cavanagh Derby from the 1958-59 Derby Revival
1959Cavanagh.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Derby Deconstruction, Part Two

Another feature of the classic Derby that is missing from modern ones is the increasing curl from front to back. The curl in the front and back is about as minimal as it can get, perhaps 1/8" or 3/16", and is essentially perpendicular to the brim. As the curl progresses to the sides it increases in width and height, presenting an extremely streamlined looked long before Art Deco was born.

DerbyCurl.jpg

A Front-Rear Tolliker is used to create the narrow curl on, obviously, the front and rear of the brim. It's built very much like a tolliker that is used to set the brim break, but instead of being completely flat on the foot, it has a narrow V-groove cut into it, starting from the flat plane and deepening into the foot. This allows the curler to set the tight, narrow curl with ease.

Front-RearTolliker.jpg

FrontCurl.jpg

The Finished Front Curl
FrontCurlFinished.jpg

D’Orsay Curl
The curler uses a shackle to make the D'Orsay Curl on the sides. Different shackles can make different curls, which is why a combination curl is a handy tool to have.

Shackle.jpg

ShackleDrawing.jpg

The Finished D'Orsay Curl
DOrsay.jpg

Sewing on the Binding
After the brim was curled, it went to the Trimming Room, where the ladies would sew on the sweatband, hatband, and bind the edge. Since the sweatband and hatband procedures are not dissimilar from soft felt hats, I won't go into them here. However, the binding is a bit different.

First, the edge binding is sewn into a loop of the proper circumference, as is true for any bound-edge hat. However, the first stitching is done with the ribbon inside out. In this photo, you can see the inside of the rear seam of binding. The ribbon is laying outside down against the brim, and it is stitched to the brim using a lock stitch, as with a stitch awl or sewing machine, sewing the bottom edge of the binding along the outer circumference of the brim. This way, the inner part of the binding is given a very strong stitch, and when the ribbon is folded back over the outside of the brim, the stitching is hidden from view.

Binding.jpg

FrontStitch.jpg

CurlStitch.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Derby Deconstruction, Part Three

Installing the Wire Loop
Many early Derbies utilized a loop of wire along the inside of the curl to provide extra support for the brim. At this point, after the inside of the binding is stitched down, the wire loop is tucked into place, and the binding is ready to be wrapped around the outside of the brim.

Wire.jpg

Finishing the Binding
The outside of the binding is sewn using tiny hidden stitches spaced about an inch apart along the edge. These tiny stitches provide surprising strength while giving a very clean look to the binding. Again, this is something missing in today's machine-stitched brims.

Underbrim.jpg

And that, in a nutshell the size of a boxcar, is how you make a Derby.

Crofut & Knapp Derby (1906-1909)
CKDerby1.jpg

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Wow! Great investigation in a lost art and delightful documentation.

Thank you!

Distiction mark!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice work, Brad.
Looking forward to seeing the derbies everyone must be working on now.

I imagine some of those brim and binding techniques apply to homburgs, too?

bloc

One of the Regulars
Very detailed thread. Just got hold of a rather battered old bowler needing a little tlc, it's dirty, misshapen, sweatband off, no lining and the brim binding is going. The information here will be invaluable in it's restoration. Thank you.

Thank you, Prof. Bowers. Great presentation. You've given me food for thought, as I know of a stash of derbies in need of restoration.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Wow, this post is really cool. I didn't know that brim ribbons were seen together before they were put on--and the rest of the information was quite revealing, too. Thank you for sharing your research and knowledge with us.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran