Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby or Open Crown?

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I've seen a few auctions on Ebay listing items as a "Derby", like this one:

[Link removed: active auction links are not allowed. But here's a pic to facilitate discussion:

785c_12.JPG

--AlanC]

Is this really a Derby or is this an unbashed open crown? How do you tell the difference? The top of this hat is a little flat, like my Akubra Federation Deluxe when it arrived.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
ScottyBlues said:
Is this really a Derby or is this an unbashed open crown? How do you tell the difference? The top of this hat is a little flat, like my Akubra Federation Deluxe when it arrived.

It's an open-crowned fedora. The brim doesn't have a tight pencil curl to it. This helps give it away. Also, like you said, the top of the crown seems a bit flat as if partially dented.

duggap

Banned
I'm not the best to ask but from the pictures the hat looks like an open crown. I am judging that from looking at the brim. The pictures make it look like a regular fedora brim. Also, you don't see too many dirbys in that color.

FlapJack

New in Town
Yes, it's open crown.

As a side note, I just spent over 40 minutes looking through every page of hats on ebay. I found this one at the tail end of that and had decided to bid on it. That was before I saw it posted here, though. Don't think I'll be able to afford it now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou