Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately seeking cuffs

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have some new (to me) vintage trousers I'm really pleased with, except they don't have cuffs.

And worse, there is only about 2.75 inches of extra fabric to work with -- maybe a smidge less.

Is there any hope of faking some cuffs with that amount of extra, or should I resign myself to own a pair of cuff-less pants?

Here's how I picture possibly doing it, but mind you, I am no tailor. I can't even sew on a button.

But let's say my inseam for cuffed trousers is 30 inches (which it is) -- could one follow the fabric down to, say, 29 inches, fold it up for a half-inch, then down for the visible 1.75 inch part of the cuff and then curl it under to finish it with a quarter-inch to spare?

I've included a terribly inept rendering of what I'm imagining on the left below, with an equally inept rendering of the way traditional cuffs are constructed on the right.

cuffdiagram.jpg

Am I kidding myself?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Perfectly doable as per your illustration. Tailors call it a Faux or French cuff.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Good to know, thanks.

Now I just have to find a real tailor (as opposed to the dry-cleaner tailors I use most often -- I don't think I'd trust them with this job).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy