Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing a Line of Menswear Patterns

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Suit Jackets

Thanks for the input so far fellas!

I am thinking that for suit options, the two pant styles may be paired with separate jacket patterns. Please keep your pics coming...fronts and backs if you have them!

Honey Doll

donCarlos

Practically Family
I love the 40´s pants (second picture from the original post). How difficult can it be to make me a pair of pants? :) That´s a challenge!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Honey Doll, here's another if you have it (or can find it). The lapels look much closer to the Howard Hughes jacket.
patternbutterick3084sm1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
I am surprised the collective We have not yet gotten together to have a run of vintage spec men's dress pants made.

Now there's a thought.... there's bound to be enough of us on here that would provide a ready market for a minimum order of 50 pairs or whatever.....

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Shanghai Jack was threatening to- seemed to be half way there.

But then, when I first joined, I was trying to make gab shirts- I'm still on the road to the Khaki venture. It all takes time when it's not yer thing- when you have a normal life, kids and when you're an individual, with not-so-any resources, not directly in the trade and not wanting to part with a lot of money.
...and a perfectionist, to boot.

I think a lot more will happen around here, with patterns being freely available and this network of interested people- makes it all a nit more realise-able.

Suit patterns from the '30s- jackets and pants- that would de-mystify things a lot but I'm not sure patterns for '30s suit jackets exist, outside of Tailors' rooms and commercial cutting rooms of long gone companies and department store-contracted manufacturers.

We'll see.

B
T

Feraud

Bartender
Good points BT.
With patterns available to members we can individually purchase the material and have single garments made.
This might prove easier than working through the logistics of a group project.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Clothing ventures past....

I have seen a few older threads with discussion of pulling together a reasonably priced, mass order of pants or such which ultimately goes nowhere.

My thought in getting a line of patterns together is that everyone would have access, at least, to a solid, reproduction of a period pattern which would enable them to take it upon themselves to sew, take to a seamstress, tailor on their own... and have the ability to get a reproduced piece.

Perhaps, someone will take this pattern venture further and ultimately use the patterns to develop a business, clothing line or custom service to the loungers...there are a lot of ladies in the powder room who sew. Running a wanted ad in the Lougne classifieds for a seamstress to put something together might be an option.

I'm hoping this brings the fellas is one step closer to getting quality reproduction pieces.

Honey Doll

Feraud

Bartender
I think having the patterns available is a great step in the right direction.

The Kirk Douglas jacket looks to have two button chest pockets. Initially I thought the cuffs and waistband were knit but look like leather in this picture.

500ACE1.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hmmm...

Feraud said:
I think having the patterns available is a great step in the right direction.

The Kirk Douglas jacket looks to have two button chest pockets. Initially I thought the cuffs and waistband were knit but look like leather in this picture.

500ACE1.jpg

It does appear to have leather cuffs and certainly 2 chest pockets. I think you could have it reproduced using the pattern I posted as a starting point tho...it has the right overall shape, a talented seamstress/tailor could adjust the side pockets (or make up without if desired) and draft up chest pockets.

The beauty of vintage patterns is that it gives you a baseline for correct form and feel. Modifications and customizing by someone with talent, armed with some good pics and the right fabric, can get you right were you want to be on a piece.

HD

Edward

Bartender
Honey Doll said:
I'm hoping this brings the fellas is one step closer to getting quality reproduction pieces.

Definitely will do! :) I'm watching this with a very keen interest..... as well as keeping my ear to the ground for a suitable seamstress or, eh, ....seamster(?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24