Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing a Line of Menswear Patterns

Edward

Bartender
That tan one puts me in mind of a Luftwaffe pilot's jacket (though I know it isn't the same pattern as the cloth issue jacket in reality). Some really nice looking stuff cropping up here.... very tantalising....

cookie

I'll Lock Up

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Palm Beach Suit c 1920s?

And last but not least an early 1930s Ricky Jacket:
Mike K. said:
Honey Doll, here's another if you have it (or can find it). The lapels look much closer to the Howard Hughes jacket.
patternbutterick3084sm1.jpg

Marc's Ricky Jacket 1930s version

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I think having the patterns available is a great step in the right direction.

The Kirk Douglas jacket looks to have two button chest pockets. Initially I thought the cuffs and waistband were knit but look like leather in this picture.

500ACE1.jpg

I cannot find a better picture of the jacket but there are better images in the film. I believe the cuffs and waistband are knit and the fabric appears to be a herringbone tweed. Not sure why cuffs look like leather in that photo.
Definitely two button chest pockets which preclude A2 styling.
aceimageWEB-760424.jpg

I'd say it looks very similar in shape to the plaid jacket at the bottom of this illustration
casual30sjacket.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Apologies if this is a repeat request, I don't see it in the thread yet.... but what about some belt-back jacket patterns - single & db?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Belt back

Edward said:
Apologies if this is a repeat request, I don't see it in the thread yet.... but what about some belt-back jacket patterns - single & db?

Here are some pics from other threads of belt backs....

1930sDiagonalBeltedBackJacketBack1.jpg
[/IMG]
1930sDiagonalBeltedBackJacketBack3.jpg
[/IMG]
1930sDiagonalBeltedBackJacketFront.jpg
[/IMG]

PleatedBelted1.jpg
[/IMG]
PleatedBelted2.jpg
[/IMG]

I particularly admire this look. I am going to work one of these up for my hubby off of the early 50s SB pattern (similar to the one that EvaDress has on her site), modifying to create a pleated belt back. I'll post some pics as I get the project underway.

Honey Doll

Edward

Bartender
Is that second one Baron Kurtz's by any chance? Pete had a jacket remarkably similar to that on at dinner on Monday evening. I especially liked how the pleating in the pockets matched the pleating of the back, a really nice detail. I'd adore to have some jackets like that in my wardrobe, maybe with a peak lapel.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Edward said:
Is that second one Baron Kurtz's by any chance? Pete had a jacket remarkably similar to that on at dinner on Monday evening. I especially liked how the pleating in the pockets matched the pleating of the back, a really nice detail. I'd adore to have some jackets like that in my wardrobe, maybe with a peak lapel.

Yes, I believe it is...sorry for not giving proper credit! I lifted it off a link and put it in my some-day-to-be-made file without noting the source.

Honey Doll

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Edward said:
Any news on how this project is coming along?

:)

Yes!

Alexandra of EvaDress will be introducing patterns based upon recommendations from this Lounge thread.... the 30s pants should be available in multi-size in September with new patterns to follow bimonthly or perhaps monthly as time allows...here is a bit from her most recent email newsletter...

New line of patterns for men:

I am excited to announce that per demand, I am implementing a line of multi-size patterns for men. I will start with the 1930’s trousers (http://www.evadress.com/1141.html) and go into the 40’s from there. I will try to have a new men’s pattern ready at least every other month if not every month.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s input per my request last month for sewing tips, help, etc. As always, keep them coming as you think of them.

-Xandra at EvaDress

www.EvaDress.com

www.evadress.blogspot.com

There is originality left in this world.

I have been in ready communication with Alexandra about this venture and have offered up the patterns that I have posted here on this thread that are in my private collection.

As for the belt-back jacket that was discussed. I ordered fabric today to do a sample similar in style to Baron's that I posted of. As I pull it together, I'll post some pics. If the jacket comes together well...I will send the muslin off to EvaDress for her input and thoughts on offering it as a pattern.

I'll keep you all updated!

Honey Doll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy