Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dickies

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
On another thread this word came up. I hadn't thought of dickies in years. I vaguely recall having a couple as a child. What in the world was the point of them? Talk about silly!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I've never heard of dickies for men, but for women it is so that you don't have a complete blouse. It makes it cooler, and less bulky.

shamus

Suspended
I can only think of Randy Quaid in Christmas Vacation wearing his black dickie and a white sweater...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few years ago my store sold them in the mens accessories department, along with the scarves. I still get requests for them too!
flat-top

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
"Dickies" The Brand or the Collar?

Dating myself we use to wear these in hiigh school circa 1966 under oxford button down shirts during the Beatles/British Invasion period they were also called mock turtle necks! Peter :beer:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mycroft said:
What are dickies, are they glove holders?

A dickie is a fake turtle neck sweater. You have the collar and a bit of fabric front and back and that's about it. Like some have already said, all you can picture is Cousin Eddie Johnson from Christmas Vacation in a black dickie under a white shirt. And it's hard to hide the fact that you're wearing one.

Cheers!

Dan

Mycroft

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
A dickie is a fake turtle neck sweater. You have the collar and a bit of fabric front and back and that's about it. Like some have already said, all you can picture is Cousin Eddie Johnson from Christmas Vacation in a black dickie under a white shirt. And it's hard to hide the fact that you're wearing one.

Cheers!

Dan

Ok, I think I get it. Thanks.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Basically it looks like this.
tturtle.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This is my Dickie!

This is what I have always known a dickie to be- a false shirt front- like for a Tux. A false front for a formal shirt and collar-

"A dickie (sometimes known as a tuxedo front or tux front) is a type of false shirt-front designed to be worn with a tuxedo, usually attached to the collar and then tucked into the cummerbund. The rigid plastic dickie came into fashion in the latter years of the 19th century, and was one of the first successful commercial applications of celluloid.

Dickies were popular for their waterproof and stain-resistant properties. Unlike traditional cloth shirt-fronts, they remained sleek, bright white, and did not wilt or wrinkle. For this reason, they were popular with entertainers, musicians, and other performers. Nevertheless, they were frequently maligned and spoofed for their stiffness, unmanageability, and tendency to pop out of place. In one notable Merrie Melodies segment, Elmer Fudd attempts to conduct an orchestra while his shirt-front keeps popping out of his cummerbund. "The flapping dickie", a famous Vaudeville cliche, involves a dickie which has been intentionally rigged to flap in a comical fashion.

Hard plastic dickies have long since gone out of fashion, but similar cloth shirt-fronts are still sometimes seen."

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Had a dozen

A friend's Mamma in North Carolina used to make the turtle neck dickies (all of them white) to sell at church functions. She gave me a dozen (what the HECK are you supposed to do with a dozen dickies???), and I felt obliged to wear one every time I visited. So when I spoke to this friend...
"Hey! How's yer mom & nem? She still make those dickies?"
"Oh yeah! She wants to know if you're still wearnum!"
"You teller yes ma'am."
Otherwise I feared she'd stop making ham & biscuits, with pinto beans.
There's nothing sillier to wear - unless you're eating spaghetti with watery sauce, or cracking lobsters, in which case they make perfect pullover bibs.
Ditto for infants.

Mycroft

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
This is what I have always known a dickie to be- a false shirt front- like for a Tux. A false front for a formal shirt and collar-

"A dickie (sometimes known as a tuxedo front or tux front) is a type of false shirt-front designed to be worn with a tuxedo, usually attached to the collar and then tucked into the cummerbund. The rigid plastic dickie came into fashion in the latter years of the 19th century, and was one of the first successful commercial applications of celluloid.

Dickies were popular for their waterproof and stain-resistant properties. Unlike traditional cloth shirt-fronts, they remained sleek, bright white, and did not wilt or wrinkle. For this reason, they were popular with entertainers, musicians, and other performers. Nevertheless, they were frequently maligned and spoofed for their stiffness, unmanageability, and tendency to pop out of place. In one notable Merrie Melodies segment, Elmer Fudd attempts to conduct an orchestra while his shirt-front keeps popping out of his cummerbund. "The flapping dickie", a famous Vaudeville cliche, involves a dickie which has been intentionally rigged to flap in a comical fashion.

Hard plastic dickies have long since gone out of fashion, but similar cloth shirt-fronts are still sometimes seen."

B
T

Oh so that's what they are called in that cartoon, I have wondering that since I was really little. Thanks BT.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
You know, it takes a brave man...

to admit to having a dozen dickies!:)

scotrace said:
A friend's Mamma in North Carolina used to make the turtle neck dickies (all of them white) to sell at church functions. She gave me a dozen (what the HECK are you supposed to do with a dozen dickies???), and I felt obliged to wear one every time I visited. So when I spoke to this friend...
"Hey! How's yer mom & nem? She still make those dickies?"
"Oh yeah! She wants to know if you're still wearnum!"
"You teller yes ma'am."
Otherwise I feared she'd stop making ham & biscuits, with pinto beans.
There's nothing sillier to wear - unless you're eating spaghetti with watery sauce, or cracking lobsters, in which case they make perfect pullover bibs.
Ditto for infants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner