Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you attend a college or university?

Did you attend a college or university?

• Yes

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I must add, I have a friend who is likely a certifiable genius, has never attended a single class of college, dropped out of high school and gained his GED.

This guy started and runs two seperate, profitable businesses (one in screen printing/air brushing, one in apparel design/sales) and he has designs for a third, much larger international business project that pretty much blows the doors off anything which I've ever heard.

I asked him about college about a year ago - "Why would I pay someone for a piece of paper that tells me what I already knew? It's a stroke to my ego I can't afford. Maybe when I'm a millionaire and retired in the next decade, I'll get one for fun."

And I certainly don't doubt his aspiration. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
eightbore said:
Do the other editors/staff-writers [at the Wall Street Journal] have degrees? What percentage?

I don't know.

eightbore said:
Can your children look forward to being denied higher ed in the hope that they become WSJ opinion page editors?
:D :D :D

I keep reading this and still don't get it. But then, I only have a bachelor of science degree.

Phil

A-List Customer
Oh we will fight, fight, fight

for Iowa State.

I'm currently attending Iowa State if that counts. I love it here. Even though I have to deal with the maze of Friley.

So, any ISU alums and current students. Where's your fancy place?

kerouacgrl

New in Town
Samsa said:
Started at Michigan State University, transferred to Madonna University for my B.A. in Sacred (read: Catholic) Theology.

Spent a year at Wayne State University Law School, then dropped out.

Am currently at Wayne State University Graduate School working towards a degree in Library and Information Science.

Samsa....a friend of mine received his Library and Information Science degree from Wayne State and is currently a librarian at Michigan State University. He quite enjoys his job and keeps suggesting I look into a Library Science degree.

I went to the University of Illinois. I have a BA in English and I work in publishing.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I attended College of the Canyons in Valencia, California majoring in general education. I was going to be an elementary school teacher. I earned my AA degree, but then thought that I wanted to pursue a different path. I spent 2 years trying to find my nitch in life. I love children, but I am now going to school to be a cosmetologist. This seems better for my sanity and for when I have a family of my own. I taught an afterschool program for kindergarden for a year that made me realize I probably will only have energy for my children. I couldn't stand the parents either. :) I'll be finished with Beauty school in a year.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Received my B.S. in Geology from Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. Worked for a few years in the field then went back to school and got my M.S. in Geology from the Colorado School of Mines.

Oddly enough I am a CIO now and in the IT field - it was pure chance and opportunity that landed me in this field.

I keep entertaining the thought of getting my Ph.D. - but I keep talking myself out of it!

ContinentalOp

New in Town
Interesting Combo

How's this for an odd mix...my undergrad degree is in music, but my grad degree is in security.

I love education, despite my ever-growing student loan debt load. I recently added up the college credits I've taken...nearly 300!!! :fing28:

Undertow

Phil said:
for Iowa State.

I'm currently attending Iowa State if that counts. I love it here. Even though I have to deal with the maze of Friley.

So, any ISU alums and current students. Where's your fancy place?

Alum of sorts here. I lived in Helser (across from Friley) before they tore half of it down. Or have they finally tore it all down? Either way is a shame, Helser was a nice place, I thought.

Starius

Practically Family
Undertow said:
Alum of sorts here. I lived in Helser (across from Friley) before they tore half of it down. Or have they finally tore it all down? Either way is a shame, Helser was a nice place, I thought.

I think half of Helser is still standing, last I heard.

I also lived in Helser for the first couple years. (Elwood house)
Then I moved to Hawthorne Court, which was later renamed to Frederiksen Court. Not too far from where Jeffery Dahmer lived as a child while his father was a graduate student there. (TRIVIA!)

Another piece of trivia... Friley is (or was when I was there at least) the largest campus dormitory in the US. It was featured in National Geographic. Friley has it's own zipcode.

$ally

One Too Many
Phil said:
I'm currently attending Iowa State if that counts. I love it here. Even though I have to deal with the maze of Friley. So, any ISU alums and current students. Where's your fancy place?
Ah, Friley Hall...
Now I'm homesick again; the Varsity theater (refurbished and wrecked), Ruttle's Diner and the bowling alley (gone), the drive-in (gone), BeeVee's (gone), Maid Rite, Pizza House, Campus Plaza, Maintenance Shop, the arboretum ...and the downtown historic district.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I did my first degree, a BSc in Astrophysics, at Leeds, 1996-1999. My BA in Photomedia & Design Communications was at Plymouth College of Art & Design, 2001-2004. Of the last twelve years, I have spent half of them in full time education. lol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Baylor University-BS in Education...taught for 9 years and am now working for an educational company that sells state standards based online test prep material and loving it!

Undertow

Starius said:
I think half of Helser is still standing, last I heard.

I also lived in Helser for the first couple years. (Elwood house)
Then I moved to Hawthorne Court, which was later renamed to Frederiksen Court. Not too far from where Jeffery Dahmer lived as a child while his father was a graduate student there. (TRIVIA!)

Another piece of trivia... Friley is (or was when I was there at least) the largest campus dormitory in the US. It was featured in National Geographic. Friley has it's own zipcode.

I think I vaguely remember National Geographic being there. Did they ever publish any of the pictures they took? Know where I can find them?

Starius

Practically Family
Undertow said:
I think I vaguely remember National Geographic being there. Did they ever publish any of the pictures they took? Know where I can find them?

I used to have the issue it was featured in, it wasn't a big article or anything but was featured in the last few pages of the magazine. I'll try to see if I can find out what issue it was.

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Here here!

LizzieMaine said:
College was out of the question for me for financial reasons -- I had to go straight to work after high school, and I've never had the chance to go back and see what I missed. It frustrates me terribly that a degree is necessary these days to make any kind of a decent living, given the things I've managed to accomplish without one.

Here here Sister!

Starius

Practically Family
Undertow said:

Okay, found the info.

Back in 2002, National Geographic had a ongoing feature called ZipUSA.
National Geographic’s June issue focused on the residents of Friley, Helser, and Westgate halls, an area big enough to have its own zip code.
(I had forgotten that Helser and Westgate were included in that.)

External Links:
Part of the article featured on National Geographic's website.
Iowa State Daily article on National Geographic's article.

Undertow

Starius said:
Okay, found the info.

Back in 2002, National Geographic had a ongoing feature called ZipUSA.
National Geographic’s June issue focused on the residents of Friley, Helser, and Westgate halls, an area big enough to have its own zip code.
(I had forgotten that Helser and Westgate were included in that.)

External Links:
Part of the article featured on National Geographic's website.
Iowa State Daily article on National Geographic's article.

Awesome, thanks! I'd never seen that. I do remember them being here...and I recognize some of the faces in those pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points