Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between RM Williams and Frye boots?

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I'm looking at investing in a new Chelsea boot soon, and have heard that RM Williams and Frye boots are among the highest quality.

I've seen people say that they are also very different boots without saying how. Would someone be able to clarify what the differences are?

My goals are versatility (being able to wear with a suit or jeans) and durability (able to be roughed up a bit by an unexpected trek).

I'm not sure which manufacturer would be more suitable. Appreciate any input, thank you.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not own either but from what I've ready RM Williams is a much better boot than Frye. RM Williams is known for their chelsea boots where Frye just makes them along with many other styles. With the strong US dollar and weak Australian dollar I'd go with RM Williams over Frye.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I do not own either but from what I've ready RM Williams is a much better boot than Frye. RM Williams is known for their chelsea boots where Frye just makes them along with many other styles. With the strong US dollar and weak Australian dollar I'd go with RM Williams over Frye.

Thanks, I was leaning towards RM Williams because I found more people speaking favorably of them.

I have a follow up question, which I don't want to make a follow up posts for, but would you have any idea about which style is the most versatile for flowing between casual and formal? They have square toe, rounded toes, pointed toes etc,,,quite a lot of styles to choose from, and I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Since I will be wearing these shoes most of the time though, I don't want to misstep and get something that looks stupid with jeans or with a suit.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends who you talk to. Fryes were very popular in the late '60's and the 70's, but I never cared for the square toe, which is what most people wore. Then about 20 years ago my wife got a pair of lace-ups that she loved, and I noted how sturdily made they were. I now have about seven pairs, including the Chelseas (round toe), and I swear by them. Great boots.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
It depends who you talk to. Fryes were very popular in the late '60's and the 70's, but I never cared for the square toe, which is what most people wore. Then about 20 years ago my wife got a pair of lace-ups that she loved, and I noted how sturdily made they were. I now have about seven pairs, including the Chelseas (round toe), and I swear by them. Great boots.

Thanks tropicalbob. The only Frye's boot I like is the James Chelsea and I think I like the chisel styles from RM Williams better. I think I'm going to go with the Kangaroo comfort craftsman, as it seems durable and light.

Now I just have to see how kangaroo leather fares in summer.

Last edited:

MikeKardec

One Too Many
In general RM Williams boots are great. I have 4 pairs of their elastic side made to orders. I got them in Oz 15 years ago when they cost me about $150 US and have worn them a great deal over the years. The workmanship is excellent, elegant, easily cared for and resoled.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I prefer RM Williams in that style. I have 4 pairs, gave 2 pairs to my son. The dressier ones I have are the Stockman Buckles and the Craftsman Kangaroos. The other two pairs are rounder toes, I wear them working in the garden or going to the stables (shovel horse dung kind of stuff...).

You can read a lot about the RM Williamses on the net. I guess the main difference to may others is the construction, there's only one seam in the back of the boot. My son wears his almost exclusively over the winter and when traveling. They seem to last pretty well, though some of the Aussies here may have other opinions.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
RM Williams by a country mile. Very high quality, will literally last for years and years. They are fairly elegant, classical, and tough to boot. The comfort craftsmen are a great all rounder. They look great with jeans, chinos and you can also wear them with a suit.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a pair of RM Williams Craftsman. They are quite nice. If I were to buy again, I would buy the Comfort Craftsman (as they are more cushioned), but the pair I have are pretty comfortable as well. The only issue I had with the RM Williams was that I found the heel to be a bit high. Most Chelsea boots have fairly low heels, but the RMW's have a higher heel; more like a work boot. I actually had my cobbler lower my heel a tad, but I haven't really heard of anyone else having that issue, so I'm probably just weird in that way. They are unique in that they look great with jeans and they look pretty good with a sportcoat/suit too. With the Aussie dollar down like it is, I've been giving thought to picking up a pair of the Comfort Craftsman in brown suede.

I picked up a pair of made in America Frye Engineer boots about a year ago. They are very well made - the leather is Horween. Not sure about their Chelsea boots, but it does appear the MIA boots are pretty nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24