Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences in 30's German overcoats.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I have an overcoat from the 1930's, or perhaps even late 20's, that I bought from Germany. What evidence could an overcoat have in order for it to be German? It has NO tags at all.

All you'll be able to tell is if the features are correct for it to possibly be German. But most central European gear will look German, so it'll be difficult to tell.

Notable features:

Yokes, back and/or front

Shoulder padding bulky and squared off

Interior pockets - fabric extends from front facings into the liner area. Pocket is cut into this fabric extension, rather than into the liner as a British overcoat would. And pockets are set high up towards the armhole.

Not quite so distinctive but check the style of stitching in the back of the collar. Zig-zag up and down, or side to side?

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
All you'll be able to tell is if the features are correct for it to possibly be German. But most central European gear will look German, so it'll be difficult to tell.

Notable features:

Yokes, back and/or front

Shoulder padding bulky and squared off

Interior pockets - fabric extends from front facings into the liner area. Pocket is cut into this fabric extension, rather than into the liner as a British overcoat would. And pockets are set high up towards the armhole.

Not quite so distinctive but check the style of stitching in the back of the collar. Zig-zag up and down, or side to side?

Just as I thought. About the pockets. Also it has a chain in the neck for hanging. It just looks like german pre-war to me, I just needed further confirmation. Here are the pictures of the overcoat taken by yestertex, before it was retailored for me here in Sweden. The coat condition was mint, I swear.

About stitching under the collar.... I can't really see any, but the part that attaches the neck to the back seems to be going up and down.

5MJjYQk.jpg

7kN3ooM.jpg

Fake buttonholes :(
eNKm3Bz.jpg

HfRSX45.jpg

beautiful buttons.
WDfGgY7.jpg

KuAzSgT.jpg

single vent
X4TEx2T.jpg

SHOULDERS
xIIA8N7.jpg

pocket and lining
GiNdI0u.jpg

the chain

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The pockets are exactly as would be expected. Also a vast majority of the clothing sold by Yestertext appears to be German. Before I saw that you had bought the coat from them, I was actually going to recommend looking at their website to compare the coat!

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
It is a very impressive coat. Gave my tailor body aches. Great roll to the lapels too. I am considering leaving the top button open, since it feels more natural for the lapels.
MgIAldz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24