Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimensions of Bogart's Hat?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
There are various threads on the Lounge, discussing various Bogart hats but most interest seems focussed on the "Maltese Falcon" hat- MK made a "photo essay" of his search for a good copy, which ended in some measure of success.

If your computer has a large enough monitor, you could enlarge a still from the film to a realistic size and make some measurements- at least get some realistic proportion. Bogart's hat size is documented somewhere on the Lounge, someone will hopefully drop in and tell us. Remember, Bogart was not a large man, his hat size is relatively small and the hat brim is fairly small.

If you haven't already seen this web site(another of MK's)it will surely be of help in your project:

http://www.thegoldenera.net/hat_Bogart_Casablanca.html

Good luck.

B
T

Stoney

Practically Family
Another thing to consider is that Bogart's face, and head, are thinner and longer than the typical persons. This attribute is one that makes his such a memorable face. A hat built to his dimensions will not look quite the same on you unless you have the same head shape. Bear this in mind if you are considering a custom hat.

You would be better off to work with the hatter to get the look than quote dimensions to them.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Stoney said:
Another thing to consider is that Bogart's face, and head, are thinner and longer than the typical persons. This attribute is one that makes his such a memorable face. A hit built to his dimensions will not look quite the same on you unless you have the same head shape. Bear this in mind if you are considering a custom hat.

You would be better off to work with the hatter to get the look than quote dimensions to them.

How big was Bogie, Stoney?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
"Physically, I'm not tough. I may think tough. I would say I'm kinda tough and calloused inside. I could use a foot more in height and fifty more pounds and fifteen years off my age and then God help all you bastards."
- Humphrey Bogart

That's a keeper of a quote. :eusa_clap

Anyone know when/where Bogie said that?

YARVTON

New in Town
Bogart's Hat

Lee Keppler makes a "Bogie" copied from The Maltese Falcon. A search here will reveal feedback from experts as well as from at least one buyer.

He's going to make one for me quite soon.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's been generally accepted that the dimensions are 5 3/4 crown and 2 3/8 brim but that isn't written in stone.
Yarvton...at last I heard , Lee Keppler doesn't make hats. He gets them made from Beaver Brands and creases them, much like Camptown.

YARVTON

New in Town
Keppler's hats

Yes, Keppler orders hats from Beaver that aren't actually made of beaver, but all this -- and more -- would become clear should the Original Poster choose to do a search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot