Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dirt Removal?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I'm currently a relatively small size (36S in modern measurements), so I tend to rejoice whenever I find a suit or a coat at the thrift store among the average 40-46 chest sizes. But when I usually find something that fits, it usually have some sort of blemish, ranging from holes and torn lining, the latter of which I buy as I can easily repair lining. Sometimes, however, I will find dirt or some other kind of dark substance on the front, back, or both sides of the coat.

Which poses my question; can the dry cleaners remove the dirt or dark substance from wool or linen coats, or should I continue to pass whenever I find such a stain?

-Quetzal

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Hard to tell without knowing what the ¨dark substance¨ is. Ink? Dirt? Coffee?
Gall soap and rubbing with a wet sponge can alleviate many stains before you have them dry cleaned.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Dry cleaners are usually reticent to do any heavy duty work on your clothes, because they know you might hold them responsible if they destroy the fabric in the process. Most hard core cleaning methods run a risk to fabrics, especially old ones. That said, if you are willing to take a little risk there are cleaners that can remove persistent, old stains. Wool safe bleaches like woolite for wool, and for cotton/linen, oxygen bleaches. I had good luck returning a seventy year old soiled white cotton suit to wearable status with oxygen bleach, though it destroyed the buttons and bleached out the label.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If it's cheap, it fits and you like it, buy and try cleaning it. If it doesn't work just put it down to experience. You might be missing out on some great clothes that can be easily cleaned.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'm with TT. You could still use a couple of very cheap jackets or suits that don't come out clean for other purposes than wearing it in town. I wish had an opportunity to get cheap jackets to experiment with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy