Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dirty Montecristi

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
It's been a LONG while since I've posted here, but I have a big problem with my Montecristi that I hope someone can help me with. One side of the brim is really stained (both on the top and bottom). I am not sure how the stain got there since I haven't worn it in about two years, and it wasn't dirty when I stored it in it's box. Is there any way I can clean this myself or am I going to have to send it to someone? Hopefully, it is not gone for good. I've included pictures for you to see (click pictures to make them larger).

Overhead view (stain on left side of pic)

Front-ish view (can see the contrast between crown and stained brim)

Close-up of stained portion and non-stained portion

Close-up of stain on the under side of brim

Brim on the other side of the hat (not stained)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Those are pretty good photos but still it's difficult (for an amateur like me) to tell for sure what's going on there. Could be something called "foxing" where the straw turns brown in some places. Weird that it's all on the one side.

I'd contact Graham at Optimo hats in Chicago http://www.optimohats.com/
and see if you can email the photos to him for an opinion on whether he can clean it. A refurb at Optimo is not the cheapest thing but for a Montecristi that's the only recommendation I feel comfortable making.

G'luck!

RHY

One of the Regulars
Alcohol?

I don't know if it would damage the fibers, but a damp tissue with some plain rubbing alcohol may do the trick. However, I would not soak the fibers and would try it on a small area first to see if it has any effect.

I had a stain on a hat that did not rub out, but I used a tissue with alcohol to just get the surface stain right out. No damage to the fibers, but use care and your best judgment on the stain.

RHY

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth: I have read on other hat sites that hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean straw safely. But I've never tried it myself. Nor do I have any particular reason to believe that it would work in this case. Mold can be a very difficult thing to remove from most any porous surface. And obviously straw is quite delicate, and subtle in its coloration. I say, consult a professional before doing anything.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Mold?

Looking at your photos, it doesn't appear to me that it would be a mold staining your hat. It looks like it fell in a mud puddle and someone tried to wash it off the best they could.

Without being able to see the fibers directly, I would suggest you send it to Graham at Optimo Hats for his opinion. I found him to be very honest in his assessment of the condition of a hat and whether is is worth it to clean or not. If this is a really expensive Montecristi, he would be able to tell you and if it was salvageable or not.

I have a $40 one that is really nice, but not worth spending more than $20 to clean versus getting another one.

RHY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails