Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diversity

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In years past, this forum focused largely on A-2 jackets (or going back even further, Indy jackets), along with other military outerwear. Half-belts and other traditional civilian jackets were also discussed and purchased. With very few exceptions, all leather jackets patronized by forum members were brown or black, with little or no adornments. References to colored leather jackets were generally viewed as a new age departure from traditional outerwear (even though there were colored leather jackets back in the day, albeit to a lesser degree than today).

Recently, the breadth of jackets discussed – and more notably acquired – by forum members has expanded considerably. Today, we have far greater diversity in terms of styles, colors and adornments. Blue and red leather jackets are becoming more common. Less traditional cuts are increasing in popularity. Adorned jackets are popping up with greater frequency. Most importantly, these deviations from more traditional jackets have been embraced and celebrated by the greater TFL community.

I admire and applaud the increased diversity and expansive creativity. That said, I personally am not yet ready to take the plunge. Rather, I remain focused on simple, unadorned, brown and black leather jackets. I commend the more contemporary, avant garde styles, and respect those with the moxie to don them, but I do so strictly as a spectator. I will not be leading the charge to break down outerwear barriers. I just can’t see myself sporting a red leather cross-zip replete with extensive metal studs. Kudos to those who can pull it off, but I ain’t going there anytime soon.

Have you already transcended the brown/black color barrier? Do you plan to take the plunge and don a red or green leather jacket? Is a heavily studded jacket in your future? Or, are you set in your ways and firmly committed to unadorned brown and black leather? Do colored jackets deviate too far from your individual concept of leather jackets? Is this a new age corruption of the Golden Era, or a natural and appropriate evolution of outerwear?

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Nice topic! I know I'm probably going to hit Carrie up for a Navy blue Vicenza board racer next year after buying a sweet A2 from her already in May.

Not sure if she has kids but if she did I am probably funding them through college. :rolleyes:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have done both navy and olive. Neither were much of a plunge for me...I am by nature anxious, fidgety, and somewhat below the median on the self esteem scale, yet I totally wore them (the blue especially). Why? Because jackets aren’t alien territory to me. They just feel “right” even in those non-conventional colors. If I were to offer a reason to possibly not get a colored one, it’s because blacks and browns tend to better accentuate the visual characteristics of leather.

No bright colors in leather for me. No red, blue, green, purple, pink or yellow. No unfinished undyed leather either that always finally develops a dirty finish. I'll stay with browns, tans, or black. I think they age better with a much nicer patina. Also brown with a tan undercoat or black with brown that will show through with wear is my preference by far, thank you.
HD

Benny Holiday

Another very thoughtful post from you, Supe, and an interesting topic for discussion.

When a buddy first clued me in to this site nearly 14 years ago (!!!), it was much more Golden Era-oriented, especially in terms of the Suits and Outerwear sections. There were a lot of great knowledgeable guys who posted regularly here back then who were experts, and I mean real experts, on all sorts of vintage clothing and accoutrements, from the A-2 to watches, boots, art deco lamp stands, you name it! As more people came in and the topics discussed diversified over time, a lot of those people left, because it lost some of that focus.

It's a shame those people no longer post, but I guess the diversity here is part of what it means to grow as a forum. I personally gravitate most towards Aero because they feature the most 1930s and 40s-style jackets as well as being a known quality maker. Of course I also love the more vintage-styled offerings by Thedi and Norshor and so on because that's the asethetic I like. I enjoy sharing this space with so many of you all here whether you're totally into the vintage look or not. At this stage I haven't felt the need to look outside the brown/black/russet/tan/seal palette but I admire and enjoy the posts by those guys here who boldly go where others of us have not gone before. I am warmer towards the idea of a darker blue, olive or cordovan jacket because of the influence of many here. You guys are fun to hang out with and I enjoy seeing what you like and how you rock it, whether or not it's something I would naturally look for myself. 'Cause we're all different and it'd be boring if we all had exactly the same taste. And you never know, I might just learn something along the way!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
It is certainly interesting to see leather jackets in newer styles and colors. It can be a source of inspiration. However, I do feel that the outerwear section has kind of lost its focus. It used to be part of the wider Fedora Lounge, and concern itself with golden era jackets and repros.
However, in the last couple of years, as the 'hipster' thing went mainstream and leather jackets became a part of that, the outerwear section seems to have become a place for people who seem to have something to prove. There's a constant 'hipster' style one-up-manship kind of competition for the heaviest, most expensive, longest wait jacket possible (extra points if it's from Japan!).
If that's what readers/posters are into, that's fine. But I'm not, so I've got nothing to post.
I think in addition to that, since I restarted posting again after my illness a couple of years ago, I've noticed that not just the content, but also the tone of the discussion has changed here. On many occasions in the last couple of years I've seen racism, anti-intellectualism, misogyny and homo-phobia in the comments here. Each time I just rationalized it as 'boys will be boys' and 'locker room talk', but considered together, these comments are shameful to be associated with, and I want to avoid that.
Also, since a couple of years ago, I've noticed that some members are extremely thin-skinned, and can't handle questions, never mind debate. It's got to the point where threads are just kind of echo-chambers with a handful of posters because offering a differing opinion makes you a target of some kind of vendetta that follows you from thread to thread (all dressed up in victim-complex hysteria about oppression). When some posters ask for your opinion, what they seem to be asking for is affirmation, not critical feedback.
I've also noticed that whilst I thought VLJF was set up and run by manufacturers, it shares it's top moderator with TFL. This strikes me as an odd state of affairs when members are banned by the mods here for, say, racism, and then the same mods allow the same member to post on another forum.
As the saying goes, 'when something is free, you are the product'.

Maybe in future the pendulum will swing back and TFL's outerwear section will be full of interesting vintage information and discussion, and I will re-engage. Maybe not.

It doesn't really matter.

Dav

One Too Many
I recently bought a B-3 red skin does that count?
Okay, I know it's brown really.
The colours do look very nice, but red or green just isn't for me. I may be tempted by a navy blue type 3, but it's not very high on the list.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It is certainly interesting to see leather jackets in newer styles and colors. It can be a source of inspiration. However, I do feel that the outerwear section has kind of lost its focus. It used to be part of the wider Fedora Lounge, and concern itself with golden era jackets and repros.
However, in the last couple of years, as the 'hipster' thing went mainstream and leather jackets became a part of that, the outerwear section seems to have become a place for people who seem to have something to prove. There's a constant 'hipster' style one-up-manship kind of competition for the heaviest, most expensive, longest wait jacket possible (extra points if it's from Japan!).
If that's what readers/posters are into, that's fine. But I'm not, so I've got nothing to post.
I think in addition to that, since I restarted posting again after my illness a couple of years ago, I've noticed that not just the content, but also the tone of the discussion has changed here. On many occasions in the last couple of years I've seen racism, anti-intellectualism, misogyny and homo-phobia in the comments here. Each time I just rationalized it as 'boys will be boys' and 'locker room talk', but considered together, these comments are shameful to be associated with, and I want to avoid that.
Also, since a couple of years ago, I've noticed that some members are extremely thin-skinned, and can't handle questions, never mind debate. It's got to the point where threads are just kind of echo-chambers with a handful of posters because offering a differing opinion makes you a target of some kind of vendetta that follows you from thread to thread (all dressed up in victim-complex hysteria about oppression). When some posters ask for your opinion, what they seem to be asking for is affirmation, not critical feedback.
I've also noticed that whilst I thought VLJF was set up and run by manufacturers, it shares it's top moderator with TFL. This strikes me as an odd state of affairs when members are banned by the mods here for, say, racism, and then the same mods allow the same member to post on another forum.
As the saying goes, 'when something is free, you are the product'.

Maybe in future the pendulum will swing back and TFL's outerwear section will be full of interesting vintage information and discussion, and I will re-engage. Maybe not.

It doesn't really matter.
I disagree. I've had some very intense discussions with members such as @ton312 and @Monitor in the past and I only like them more for it at this point. If anything, I think this outerwear section has improved overall.

There is a much wider range of accepted jackets now than there used to be. Aero and Good Wear used to be the kings and now there are far more jacket brands being discussed with enthusiasm. This is great.

As for the different colored jackets: I am very happy to see them around here and I would be open to wearing a navy blue or an olive green jacket at some point, even red if it is the right shade. I think the critical thing with these jackets for me would be the correct shade and they would also be jackets that I would have to try on as well.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Have you already transcended the brown/black color barrier? Do you plan to take the plunge and don a red or green leather jacket? Is a heavily studded jacket in your future? Or, are you set in your ways and firmly committed to unadorned brown and black leather? Do colored jackets deviate too far from your individual concept of leather jackets? Is this a new age corruption of the Golden Era, or a natural and appropriate evolution of outerwear?

No Craig, dull as it may seem, just shades of brown for me; the simpler (unadorned) the better.

I've just conditioned my FW Brakeman with a coat of Pecard's and it's turning a really attractive shade of chestnut. Minimalist in terms of detailing (no pocket flaps, clean large panels), the throat latch almost becomes a feature, although it's perfectly functional.

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
All my leather jackets are brown or black, mostly half belts and half belt variations. I can picture myself with a russet A2 or a battered tan half belt but this is my limit regarding colour.

Mich486

One Too Many
While I gravitate towards black and brown as well I think other leather jacket colours are not necessarily too daring/extreme if well matched with the rest of what you are wearing. After all olive green, blue or red jackets in other fabrics are all but uncommon.

If you dress like Steve Jobs though with a bright green cross zip you will almost certainly look a bit out of place in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red devil

Very nice topic to discuss indeed :)
This forum is probably going through different phases as it evolves. When I joined, it felt as if the focus was more about the quality of the leather and the construction than accuracy of reproduction, and it seems to be going that way.
Speaking of colours, I wonder where this uniformity of brown and black comes from, maybe mainly due to the military type jackets?
If you look at the biker jackets, they were already using more colours such as white and grey, and they were always widely creative. We are still discovering really interesting patterns after all.
I personally joined here because I always loved leather jackets, especially cross-zips. I was always open to different colours, but not so much to studs... this changed. If anything, spending time here, I discovered so many new styles, makers, and this I believe is really positive.

red leather cross-zip replete with extensive metal studs

Are you speaking of something like this? :)

TPO6rKI.jpg

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
All of my current jackets as worn by me in 2018 are Black. Been looking out for a Cordovan or Brown in 44 of some type.

Mid 80's I wore red leather 2 piece racing outfit. Both for drag and 'Production" racing of motorcycles

I was 15Kg lighter then than now which may explain that to a certain extent !

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It is really interesting to see what jackets people like and wear and I probably get a bigger kick out of looking at other people's jackets than I do owning mine. In a good way. There are lots of jackets here I would not choose or wear but I very much like to see them. People's enthusiasm can be contagious.

But I kind of miss seeing $25 thrift shop vintage specials and wonderfully worn jackets handed down by brothers in the winter of '96. The lucky finds and gifts have a magic for me that often exceeds the fastidiously spec'd custom jackets.

I'd like to see more non-leather jackets - work coats of the 1960's, whipcord utility jackets, gasoline jackets, waxed cotton wind breakers, corduroy baker's jacket, etc.

Colours? I've worn purple, blue, olive leather jackets before - I don't really care. Currently all I have is black and brown.

Dav

One Too Many
Gotta admit when they're old and beaten up the colours do look great, the one above for instance, i think if it wasn't for the studs I could wear that. It's just the 10 years of newness and feeling self conscious I'd have to go through to get it there.
Having said that, I don't feel the same way about wearing a B-3 or Irvin and they ain't exactly normal jackets.

I love non traditional colors like blue, green and red. I would avoid anything that's too bright. A white leather jacket is something I'd never consider. I think the golden age jackets and stuff from the later 50's and 60's start to bleed together, specifically the m/c stuff. An Aero CR is essentially a repro of a Bates design that is outside the date range typically associated with Aero. Bates was famous for their use of colored Leathers, as was Brimaco and others. So while those makers were not golden age producers it's not a huge leap to link them back to early M/C designs.
I personally love stuff from the 70's as well. The east west jackets, Ibex and others did make quality stuff but they are largely ignored as is the entire decade. I get it, some if not most of the jackets don't fit the aesthetic around here and certainly aren't golden age but they are vintage and as time marches on younger items earn the vintage badge.
I personally hope we continue to see the outerwear forum evolve to include more styles and makers. It keeps the threads interesting and keeps the discussion going.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think that as time goes i have been getting jacket designs that are more "out there", like the Chevalier, the LaBrea, even the Vanson Chopper. All three are designs i would have never seen myself wearing when i bought my first leather jacket back in 2012. Back then i wanted the least "showy" jackets i could find, no fancy pockets, no studs, just simple design, black and nickel. To me the brown and gold chevalier was a big step forward. Before i finally wore it i was pretty nervous about it, not sure i could pull it off.
I don't think i am ready yet for coloured leather, can't really see myself in one, but hey, i would have never seen myself in a Chevalier either and i love it! Never say never.

Like you i am glad that this forum has evolved further than the A2 fanclub it used to be a few years ago, it is a lot more fun.

Jejupe

Practically Family
I just orderer my first navy blue jacket inspired by "show your blue leather" thread. I've also been thinking about getting a British racing green / evergreen colored jacket at some point, but so far I've only found those dark green colors from Vanson and Lewis leathers.

I first came to TFL when I was looking information for B-3 and ANJ-4 repro makers. I was thinking that I will get me a nice shearling repro and be done with TFL and leather jackets. Well, that plan went out of the window rather quickly. Personally I am very happy of the diversity of outerwear discussed here as nostalgic styles and repros are only a part of my interest.

Also, I must say that I have seen very little racism etc. in here during last year. In my opinion this Forum is the most civilized and diplomatic forum I've ever read. Of course, one might argue that this fact tells more about me and my forum preferences than about TFL.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are, without doubt, one of the most colourful characters on this forum. Nobody can accuse you of not speaking your mind. There are those, however, who don't have the assertion that you are most certainly blessed with. I am refering to a post by Meacham Lake.
I know that discussion of faux leather jackets is blasphemy around here, but I thought it was interesting that Zara has produced what looks to be a very close copy of the B6 in their latest collection. I know it's not 100% accurate, but I've never seen a high street company produce a jacket that is so obviously based on the B6.
It comes in a seal brown or a lighter "redskin' esque colour. £89.99.
Most responders didn't comment on the fact a plastic jacket was being espoused in a forum that venerated the leather jacket. But you did, what you said was this:
I can't believe you people are bringing this discussion here. Edward ought to know better, and Meacham Lake could conceivably be from Zara's marketing department.
It's a PLASTIC JACKET!
No one started threads dedicated to the MA-1 'clone' knock-offs that have been big for the last couple of years, so please, let's not dignify this awful chain store lowest common denominator trash.
There must be specialty forums for mall fashion.
Is that debate? Is Meacham Lake really thinned skinned? I know this, Meacham Lake hasn't posted since. Perhaps he's suffering from victim complex hysteria. Most of your posts are not only thought provoking they are informative and you're not without humour, but come on Big J, did you really have to give the newbie both barrels, then describe it as debate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner