Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do try this at home: leather jacket repair tips

Al 916

One Too Many
That's the exact jacket I've been watching for ages. I messaged the seller for measurements and it's too small for me, but while I was waiting for their reply I sent that photo to a local repairs/alterations place.

They quoted me £16 + post to repair the sleeve.

I've used them before to replace a zip on an old Hein Gericke and they do good work, so I'm inclined to accept that their price is representative.

(Also, watch out for sizing on this jacket. The seller said it's 51cm P2P)
Could you share/PM the Tailor details please Barnabus (UK I assume)?

barnabus

One Too Many
Could you share/PM the Tailor details please Barnabus (UK I assume)?

No probs. Yes, UK. It's Clothes Doctor.

newtojackets

Practically Family
It's sold. Did you get it?
Unfortunately thing I’m going to have to relist. The jacket is perfect and insane, except the waist is too wide for me. I thought this might be the case, but was hoping the rope at the back would taper it but unfortunately not. If you’re interested in giving it a shot lmk (imo this fits like a true to size 38). Would sell it for the same price I picked it up.

DA17185E-5A1C-4919-9A43-0BF4F0C43CED.jpeg D8FDC0EE-4AA5-419F-8FA7-55F5247CECE7.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
just picked up a vintage jacket. Although the colour is still very good on the whole, there are certain parts that look really dull, particularly in one of the forearms 05D4E555-8DDB-4C5F-BCAE-ECFB904CE27D.jpeg A0332905-DDFC-471A-975D-A8DD8AEF5278.jpeg

Would conditioner be enough or will I need some sort of dye? If it’s the latter is it worth trying or is it too risky?

hieu

A-List Customer
Could well be, anything I could do to restore it?
Check out Marc's post on this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...jacket-repair-tips.104840/page-6#post-2912103

I think if the top coat is missing which it kinda looks like it to me (don't take my word for it tho I'm a beginner), a popular choice is Urad.

In terms of the different Urad products I've heard that Urad clear is the most recommended. In your case I think there may be a red Urad if you wanna try restoring the color with that (I've heard the colored Urads tend to lose color after a while though, so maybe look into other dyeing options).

If it's also dry then definitely condition before using Urad because I think Urad isn't meant to condition (like previously mentioned more of a way to restore the top coat).

Anyways, best of luck! If you do end up dyeing your jacket I'd love to see some before and after pics :)

newtojackets

Practically Family
Check out Marc's post on this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...jacket-repair-tips.104840/page-6#post-2912103

I think if the top coat is missing which it kinda looks like it to me (don't take my word for it tho I'm a beginner), a popular choice is Urad.

In terms of the different Urad products I've heard that Urad clear is the most recommended. In your case I think there may be a red Urad if you wanna try restoring the color with that (I've heard the colored Urads tend to lose color after a while though, so maybe look into other dyeing options).

If it's also dry then definitely condition before using Urad because I think Urad isn't meant to condition (like previously mentioned more of a way to restore the top coat).

Anyways, best of luck! If you do end up dyeing your jacket I'd love to see some before and after pics :)
Really helpful, thank you. Will look into this and post an update!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
No problem, your post will fit right in there. I did a similar thing the other day, where there was a loss of a black topcoat, and the exposed leather was dark grey. I applied black Urad to the patch, which darkened considerably. Then I applied Fiebings Resolene acrylic topcoat. Can't tell without knowing.

Al 916

One Too Many
Brooks Gold (late 60s)

Arrived looking like it has spent the latter 25 years in a hot tool shed. Crumpled, dusty and very very dry.
Not sure if the hide is thick for one of these or if it's just the dryness. Zips are dry stuck however all stitching work looks sound.

20230421_132820.jpg

First a loosening bath

20230421_133642.jpg

Then the washing machine (Main zip still open) Gentle 30c wash with the first spin 400 to not put too much stress on seams, second spin at 600

20230421_134114.jpg

Then a nice breezy spring day flat dry

20230421_162719.jpg

When slightly damp an extra stage on this as it will be a tee shirt CR. A couple of hours of wear..

Lay flat until slightly 'biscuit' and then it's Pecards slaver time.

20230423_152918.jpg

72 hours of slurping then a wipe down (might condition later) and...

20230424_090258.jpg

The nicest and thickest hide Brooks Gold that I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Brooks Gold (late 60s)

Arrived looking like it has spent the latter 25 years in a hot tool shed. Crumpled, dusty and very very dry.
Not sure if the hide is thick for one of these or if it's just the dryness. Zips are dry stuck however all stitching work looks sound.

View attachment 510995

First a loosening bath

View attachment 510997

Then the washing machine (Main zip still open) Gentle 20c wash with the first spin 400 to not put too much stress on seams, second spin at 600

View attachment 510998

Then a dry breezy spring flat dry

View attachment 511000

When slightly damp and extra stage on this as it will be a tee shirt CR. A couple of hours of wear..

Lay flat until slightly 'biscuit' and then it's Pecards slaver time.

View attachment 511002

72 hours of slurping then a wipe down (might condition later) and...

View attachment 511003

The nicest and thickest hide Brooks Gold that I have had the pleasure of meeting.
Nice work! That's a stunner. Great fit too. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto