Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you believe in little green men?

Do you believe in aliens? (Or whatever you might call them.)

• Yes. Definitely something out there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Complete Hogwash!

• Undecided. The jury is still out.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Little green men

Why do you think there is/was S.E.T.I. if E.T. are here among us- :eusa_doh:
Why did NASA spent billions on that project and computer resources shared still - if we just need to check a field in the Corn Belt at a summer night?
Why do people believe that if E.T. are out there they will be friendly?
Common sense: being intelligent is not equal with friendliness.
Consult the history of Tasmanians, plus a few hundred exterminated native tribes. Their exterminators were intelligent, had culture and were too similar - they simply took it all.

If a flesh and blood humanoid species is escaping from outer space, making its utmost effort to find a new habitat- and finds it comfortable on Earth it would wipe out any concurrence. We, humans would quickly realize that and get the fate of Extinct animals. Homo sapiens and the Neanderthal folks or Dingo and Thylacine did not walk hand in hand either. - one had to perish cause they were too similar they live from the same resources!!!!
That struggle would NOT go un-noticed, but IMO look like the movie Independence day without happy end: -unlike the scriptwriter of the movie I am not sure whether UFO death stars -if they are there - operate with Microsoft compatible OS - English version - which can be disrupted by any virus - like it happened on that movie.

I believe flesh and blood life exists outside the earth: God is Almighty he just did not talk about the other worlds to man.
His creature has difficulties to keep his simplest deeds the 10 commandments--why should he reveal it all to us? To a creature that has messed up the planet to an extent -that escape is seriously considered: star-trek?
I also believe that God has revealed himself through enough prophets and Jesus the Christ and the last Prophet- IMO that is all from 'official and authorized' visitations for Homo sapiens and this cycle of this World.

Green (grey?) men and appearances: not sure whether they are flesh and blood. There are hierarchies of non flesh-and-blood beings or intelligences described in lots of Holy scripts being themselves just NOTED down by humans: from devi, messengers (angeloi), watchers (egregori), guardians (cherubim) archangels, seraphim, Trons, there is a lot of descriptions about their transport tools -Chariots of Fire or Merkabah (I know just these two expressions from the Bible, practitioners of other religions can use their equivalents here). And there are accounts about the 'fallen' counterparts, with same hierarchies etc. Sometimes those beings come around to teach humans authorized or non-authorized stuff (Prometheus, Quetzalcoatl, Book of Enoch, etc.etc.) or the teachers even bastardize with the most beautiful pupils (resulting in Nephilim) like it happened before the flood and the whole story ended messily-like it happens with human teachers having sex with their pupils!!!!
It is up to anyone to believe in Holy Scripts - they were precious enough for entire people to die for and for their priests to guard them for milleniums may it cost whatever it cost.

I don't know where and how these beings appear, just read Bulgakov...A lot of worshipping of such intelligences is LOADED WITH BLOOD and anyway if there are cattle mutilations their intents are not pointing in the friendly directions. Therapy of people after being abducted and ‘examined’ like rats, their organs taken (mutilated) etc. are also tell-tale.
Other thing: we are also too stupid to think that we are able to command&control all beings we meet, seek or evoke. God has forbidden that thing not because that doesn't exist but because we can't command&control...sometimes even our own hardware we create...not to mention ourselveslol

P.S.:Yes I read some editions of UFO magazine and my grandmother told me that his brother saw UFO flying on the skies when he was young (1940's).

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for indulging me with my fun, Nick. :)

But seriously. My vote was for Undecided. Much like ghosts, demons, faeries, ESP, viable electric cars and, yes, leprechauns, I'm witholding judgement until I see something solid, one way or the other. But until then, I'll continue writing my fun little stories about Zeke and Fred.

I sometimes think about what could be learned from them. Or what we may teach them - humans aren't all-bad, as some seem to imply. Science, technology, philosophy, arts and entertainment, lifestyles, etc. To me, it'd be like an intergalactic foreign exchange student program, language barriers included. I'd volunteer.

If aliens truly are out there, or here, I'd love to meet them. Provided, of course, that they aren't slimy, growling, overgrown cockroaches with teeth at the end of their tongues. Those ones can stay home, thank you.

Lee

But imagine the jet lag!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
They're hungry. Saw the "where's the beef" commercial one to many times, and trying to figure out where the cooked hamburger is.:p

If any really do have the ability to travel far off distances I don't see why they'd want to come here abduct farm animals and probe hicks in the tush. [huh]

I think it would be more like a "Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Star Ship Enterprise. Her 5 year mission: To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldy go where no man has gone before."

Observe, not to interfere. aka "The Prime Directive".

(yes, I am a Trekkie)

HungaryTom said:
...Anyway if there are cattle mutilations their intents are not pointing in the friendly directions [huh]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Think nuthin' of it old chap, it's fun to speculate on this subject. :)
There is so much we don't know or understand in this here big ol' universe of ours.
The Truth is out there.

Obviously, you're not talking about photosynthesis. I've heard that's pretty easy. :D

Skeptic or no, I love speculating and reading about aliens and such, and I like to have fun while doing so. It's also fun to write fiction about it, because your characters can say and do pretty much anything. Especially if you're writing humor.

I hope this conversation contiunes. I'm having a lot of fun with it. ;)

Lee

Martian (through translator device): "All green of skin... 800 centuries ago, their bodily fluids include the birth of half-breeds. For the fundamental truth self-determination of the cosmos, for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest."
General Decker: "What the hell does that mean?"
- Mars Attacks

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Discussion

Dear Lee,

You got the keywords:speculating and humour.
Since the 'serious' projects have not shown any progress since Foo Fighters in WW2 or Roswell, UFO are a terrain for literary ambitions.
Any topic can be used as a source of inspiration - just the result should be a work of art. :)

Pretty faythe,

As an area 51 resident you discarded my fears about the existence of those hungry beefeaters straying around stock-yards after drawing their dinner recipes in the cornfields;)

RIOT

Practically Family
Ok, now that I am a bit more stable from last night.. let me indulge my theory..

I believe that these sightings are nothing more than a "class fieldtrip" if you may call it that. Us, humans, from the future, coming back to study and observe. We as humans are evolving every single day, learning something new, a process that can only go up on the chain of knowledge from this point on. So who is to say that the invention of time travel is not a possibility in our future. Ask this same question to the folks back in the middle ages as well as trying to explain what a television or a radio or automobiles are and they would most likely burn you at the stake. So, what is the possibility that UFO are us from the future visiting, observing, watching, learning from the past, from mistakes? I say it is not at all impossible and theoretically more so than some distant earth like planet light years away.

There.. put me back on a straight jacket!

RIOT

Practically Family
Oh and about those little green men... If I were travelling at the speed of light and beyond I would more likely turn green as well :D

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I think it's unfortunate that these kinds of discussions inevitably devolve into, at best, poking fun at those who think such is possible and at worst, name calling and ridicule. Being that the folks on this site are better mannered that their counterparts elsewhere on the net, this has stayed on the "at best" end of the spectrum. That said, yep, I believe. Back in the mid 1960s when I was growing up in rural South Carolina I was standing in the front yard one evening just after dusk. A watched as two "objects" which at the time I would have described as "hula hoops with multi-colored Christmas lights strung around them" traveled across the sky from north to south. The appeared to be spinning slowly as they flew-or at least the lights were changing position. I watched as they travled basically from horizon to horizon in a straight line. They made no sound. Although I was only 8 or 9 at the time, I was already a seasoned aviation buff, so I knew that these were not conventional aircraft.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
RIOT said:
Ok, now that I am a bit more stable from last night.. let me indulge my theory..

I believe that these sightings are nothing more than a "class fieldtrip" if you may call it that. Us, humans, from the future, coming back to study and observe. We as humans are evolving every single day, learning something new, a process that can only go up on the chain of knowledge from this point on. So who is to say that the invention of time travel is not a possibility in our future. Ask this same question to the folks back in the middle ages as well as trying to explain what a television or a radio or automobiles are and they would most likely burn you at the stake. So, what is the possibility that UFO are us from the future visiting, observing, watching, learning from the past, from mistakes? I say it is not at all impossible and theoretically more so than some distant earth like planet light years away.

There.. put me back on a straight jacket!
Einstein put it nicely when he said,
"The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
ETs, whatever or whoever they might be, seem to have mastered the physics of practical travel in the universe.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
staggerwing said:
I think it's unfortunate that these kinds of discussions inevitably devolve into, at best, poking fun at those who think such is possible and at worst, name calling and ridicule. Being that the folks on this site are better mannered that their counterparts elsewhere on the net, this has stayed on the "at best" end of the spectrum. That said, yep, I believe.
Let the ridiculers, ridicule then. :p I don't care what the uninformed or the unimaginative may think, there is too much compelling evidence of these phenomena to discount it all as some kind of mass hysteria.
We live in an infinite universe, with infinite possibilities.
They laughed at Christopher Columbus too. lol

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of us humans seem to nervously get the vapors when this subject is broached and as a defense poke fun at the whole scene perhaps in a effort to hide their deepest fears. I believe in some there is a profound fear that the most radical probability is possible. And with that they fear a loss of their ability to control things.

I don't know or care if alien lifeforms have visited Earth. The statistical probability that other sentient forms of life exist is extremely high given that the total number of stars in the known universe is estimated at 70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000...70 sextillion.

There are several hundered billion stars with planets in our Galaxy the Milky Way with about 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe, suggesting that there are at least 10 trillion planetary systems in the Universe.

Calculations that perhaps in all that there are about 1 million technological civilizations leaves quite a possibility.

For the entirety of my life I have heard the same weary reply to scientific theory bordering on the fantastic. "With what we know today this is impossible."

Of course this included space travel by incoming means simply because we haven't yet figured out how to go faster that 18,000 MPH to get away yet. If we haven't that doesn't mean someone else has not found a way. All the speed of light mumbo jumbo does not perclude other ways and means of traveling great distances either by worm holes or interdimensional means that we simply have no clue about. It doesn't mean their ways are invalid simply because we don't have the intellect to understand them.

The other silly comment that comes up repeatedly is "if there are aliens out there what would they bother to come here for?" Why would we spend multi-billions of dollars to send a rather crude robot to Mars to search for microbial life? Why do we plan to search places we know does not have sentient life and probably microscopic only? We do it as any beings with a thirst for knowledge do it. We hold our minds open in order to learn more.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If one believes in an infinite universe but does not believe in the possibility of life apart from Earth, well, one is rather pessimistic. Or is it optimistic? ;)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The Granddaddy of all "Little Green Men" circa early 1950s:

LindbergFlyingSaucerBoxArtClassic.jpg

lind517.jpg

You can see him in the corner of the box. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80