Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you buy organic?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The lazy thread got me thinkin. This HUGE organic, Ill call it trend, that is sweeping the industralized world right now looks to be here to stay.

Now, Im one for if it aint there to begin with, dont add it. And I do buy organic when it suits me, but Im curious as to the rest of ya'll.

Are you aware of the differences and the new criteria for organic products that has recently passed (dont get me started on the dumbing down of that rigid outline)? GMO (ginetically modified organisms) where do you stand?

Any special dieters her: Vegan, Vegitarian, free range meat eaters?

Thoughts?

LD

Haversack

One Too Many
My wife and I are dedicated omnivores, (pro-foie gras), who try to practice eating locally not for any political or health reasons but because it tastes better. We subscribe to a CSA, (Community Supported Agriculture), and on occassion, have gotten to know our meat before it became so. We also both cook.

Haversack.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's. I won't pay the extra for organic, but when I remember I do shop at the farmer's market held on the weekend nearby. Those vegetables and fruits are so much better than the stuff they sell at the store.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The organic thing got going in the 60s with the hippy movement. "Far out man!" lol We may get some organic stuff but not much. My wife has little time to seek it out in assorted stores. She can make one trip a week and that is to a major name chain market.

We don't eat much red meat at all and buy something outside of the home only once a week. No junk food tacos, fries etc. My favorites are brocolli and califlower. I can't stomach the tart sweetness of fruit any more but my wife eats tons of it.

Naama

Practically Family
I wish I could only be buying organic food, but it's often very expensive, especially fruits, the same for fare trade stuff. If I had the money, I would. I'm a vegeterian, but I don't see a connection between that and eating organic.... But I try to avoid genetically modified stuff as long as it's possible! Because that really creeps me out!

Naama

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Caledonia said:
Buy organic as much as I can get, as well as Free Trade. Grow organic all the time. Vegetarian.

Me too, cept' for the garden part. WISH I could get a garden stared, but I dont life close to any community garden plots, and I have no space in my apt :eek:

LD

Terry Lennox

Suspended
DancingSweetie said:
I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's. I won't pay the extra for organic, but when I remember I do shop at the farmer's market held on the weekend nearby. Those vegetables and fruits are so much better than the stuff they sell at the store.

keep in mind that what you're buying at the farmers market may not be organic and might just be full of all those chemicals you get at the store....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can't afford organic products in the store, but I grow as much as I can with my limited space.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I get an organic box of mixed fruit and veg delivered every week. It's £10 a week between me and the boy, and it keeps us going all week. It's great because every week is different - it's what's in season at the moment and from the UK or very close (to save on polluting travel from overseas). And you can pick your likes and dislikes on the site so you don't end up with too much of the same thing or gross stuff like brussels sprouts. I buy organic milk too because the idea of drinking normal is disgusting, especially with the growth hormone / antibiotic horror stories. Ditto eggs. I'm a vegetarian too, because...ditto meat. I'd be a vegan, but soya interferes with me and makes me feel perpetually exhausted. And I like cheese and baking! :eek:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I buy organic, when I actually go to the grocer. If I can I buy local grown. We have a terrific market not too far from us that uses all local growers and local meats too. They even make their pasta and sauces from scratch, it's the fresh kind of pasta not the dried kind. The ravioli's are amazing. We cook a lot more in the winter. Luckily we have a Whole Foods around the corner, which I think is way over priced, but has good ready made meals. I do love to cook, and I keep saying that I'm gonna do it more, someday.
As for some of the new criteria, I don't know much. I do know that my sister feeds my nephew only organic everything. I'm not sure if this is correct but some animals are given anti-biotics. If fed to a growing child, who's cells divide much quicker than a grown person, that child has a higher risk of developing a resistance to said medication. I would think that anyone could develop this resistance, it's just even higher for little wee ones. I just think it's great that she's feeding him such healthy foods, and he's still very, very pudgy! He loves swordfish and he's not even 2 (the kind that guarantees low level mercury, of course).
Well, I think organic can be over priced, but I can really taste the difference. I wish I new more about these new regulations.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Don't buy organic, no special diet, like my steaks, ice cream and beer....

SGB

Rosie

One Too Many
I buy organic most of the time. If I'm running to the local grocery store and I need something, I'll buy it even if it isn't organic. There is a great farmers market near me on Thursdays and I like to go there, get fruit and veggies. The little plot that I grow on is organic.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
"You are what you eat."

This is so true and has always made perfect sense to me, so I try to get organic produce when the selection and the price is right. I generally stick to the outer perimeter of the grocery stores where all the fresh stuff is. I avoid the middle aisles of processed, instant, boxed stuff with all those additives. Maybe I end up spending a bit more money and preparation time on food, but I feel my health is worth it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I try to buy free range meat, poultry and fish whenever possible. Whole grain bread, rice and pasta as well. I'm not quite the stickler for produce as I often buy frozen vegetables. I'm mad about artisanal breads, cheeses and beers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, not regularly -- I do live just up the block from the local co-op, and sometimes I'll pick up some stuff from there, but for everyday use it's just too expensive.

What I really do try to do is support the local farmers'-markets and roadside stands. There's a place up the road a bit which has the best sweet corn in the state, and when it's in season I always try to treat myself to some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925