Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why do you do live the way you do.?

59Lark

Practically Family
With all the different people that co exist in our world why does this diverse group live the way we do. The fedoras, why when the whole world wears baseball caps, or nothing do some of us insist on wearing a style of hat that has been out of style for thirty years. When society in general has become one of me first and greed and no care for its fella man and no accountability for ones actions. Do we insist on being different and standing for certain standards , are we nuts. I used to feel that i was left behind, like a servant in an ancient anstrastal home waiting for the return of his master. I remember the culture shock coming from the country, a family farm that we had for 182 years and that old house where so many of my family had been born and died and some were buried in the orchard. Going to modern world in a , thank god a small city was like amish going to big city for me. Colour tv, never had one, cable tv wow more than three channels, buses, drugs, punks and a lot of indifference. Its a wonder that I made it, so the old music, the old cars, and the attitude helped me survive. There is a religious phrase live in this world but dont become part of it. I think most of us here, have built there own worlds, with their circle of friends and clothing, music, etc to hold together their sanity. I was in my haberdashery yesterday and he said too me , these young people think that is a swear word, only 3 customers call me that (haberdashery) you are the only one under 80. The general message of his conversion and mine, people today as a average dont have much class and dont care how they come across. The world changed and the future aint bright, now i dont want to appear doom and gloom for I have two girls and i and my wife have homeschool them and they hold doors for old ladies and they dont say the f.......... word. The eldest can sew and bake and is responsible and too smart actually. The youngest is full of pontential , but my wife and I are dinosaurs, one income, family store in business for 26 years and we just dont want the modern, two jobs, big house, divorce in five years and all the crap that goes with it, but its hard been a square nut in round peg world. This digest has helped me, I AINT ALONE. hee gauds. :eek:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I think it really boils down to being true to yourself. For me, wearing a hat and listening to the music I listen to is just being myself. I feel very out of touch with society. In this modern world that doesn't seem to care about manners, appropriate behavior, personal responsibility, and whatever else, I'm very much separated. Still, I am who I am, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rikrdo said:
not that theres anything wrong with that :D

oohh so THAT'S who Sam's new crush is .. ahhh I see.. ;)

I live the way I do, because thats who I am! Even though some of 'me' is based on my upbringing, I have always been very different compared to my family when it comes to manners and have always been called 'sensitive' by them. All I can say is that I try to shine through each day and hope to go to bed with a smile on my face, then I think I have done good. Hopefully it rubs off on other people..

zaika

One Too Many
aside from being friggen awesome lol , i live the way i do because that's just who i am, naturally. i let my interests lead me to learn about all sorts of stuff in various times and places, but i always come back to this golden era. i like the nostalgia, the sense of community, and i like being a little different.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Basically, I live the way I was raised -- I was raised by Depression-generation people who lived a certain way and saw no reason to change, and a lot of that whole worldview has rubbed off on me. I'm a nose-to-the-grindstone, tightfisted, stubborn, stuck-in-the-forties sort because that's what I saw growing up, and I never saw any good reason to change.

But another part of that worldview was "live and let live." Maine people of that generation believed more than anything else in minding their own business, and that's what I do. You live your way and I'll live mine, and we'll get along just fine. Just keep your dog off my lawn.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Basically, I live the way I was raised -- I was raised by Depression-generation people who lived a certain way and saw no reason to change, and a lot of that whole worldview has rubbed off on me. I'm a nose-to-the-grindstone, tightfisted, stubborn, stuck-in-the-forties sort because that's what I saw growing up, and I never saw any good reason to change.

But another part of that worldview was "live and let live." Maine people of that generation believed more than anything else in minding their own business, and that's what I do. You live your way and I'll live mine, and we'll get along just fine. Just keep your dog off my lawn.

Precisely. Only I wasn't raised by Depression generation parents, but my parents and all my other relatives lived under Communist regime in Russia, where you had to be a certain way or you were persecuted. Now, I live the way I do because I have the CHOICE to, and such is my decision.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I never thought about it until now.
I guesse I just live the way I do, because it's the only way I know.

Having said that, I do not think that anybody I my familily or friends and collegues think I am so very much different to them - given the few odd ends such as reading about Battle of Britain, aeroplanes and the men who flew them. Going to airshows etc. But thats just a hobby - right?
I do not wear a fedora, I do not dress vintage - besides a few cravats.
(Does that mean I am excluded from the Lounge now?:D )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails