Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you collect military medals?

Rob

Familiar Face
One of my favourite hobbies (whenever I'm feeling cashed-up, that is), is collecting military medals.

I typically stick to British/Australian/Canadian/South African groups as these are generally named and I enjoy doing research on the people behind them. A fascinating thing, although I always get a bit sad to think that people have either had no heirs to leave them to, or their heirs have gone and sold them.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone collects medals and, if so, whether you'd like to see some of my groups of medals, and their accompanying stories, from my personal collection? I can just stick to the WWII stuff and the vibe of the Lounge, if people prefer, or can bring in WWI, Boer War and earlier stuff, too?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Rob said:
One of my favourite hobbies (whenever I'm feeling cashed-up, that is), is collecting military medals.

I typically stick to British/Australian/Canadian/South African groups as these are generally named and I enjoy doing research on the people behind them. A fascinating thing, although I always get a bit sad to think that people have either had no heirs to leave them to, or their heirs have gone and sold them.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone collects medals and, if so, whether you'd like to see some of my groups of medals, and their accompanying stories, from my personal collection? I can just stick to the WWII stuff and the vibe of the Lounge, if people prefer, or can bring in WWI, Boer War and earlier stuff, too?
The only medals I have are the very few that are my own. I would like to see some of the british ghurkas. I am thinking of ordering 1 of those knives from khukuri house and have always been fascinated by them.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've only collected one....

The famed 'Faciat Georgius', the 'George Medal' of Guadalcanal. The besieged Marines on the 'canal dreamed this one up when the felt like the Navy was letting them down and stranding them on shore. It has quite a history.

My uncle, Col. Edmund J. Buckley, USMC was designated the Grand Master of the Order and it was he who ceremoniously pinned this monstrosity on qualified Leathernecks - done with a big laundry pin!

af3b0b27.jpg

Martin Clemens devoted a portion of a chapter in his great tome, "Alone On Guadalcanal: A Coastwatchers Story" on the 'George' and describes it's design evolution and casting in Australia. Only a few of these gems are still around as so many of the Marines that received them have passed on. Those that do have them and still can, wear them with pride at reunions and funerals these days.

I'll find and post some pictures of the Marine's Guadalcanal 'George' Medal.

4efab1ef.jpg

-dixon cannon

Rob

Familiar Face
That is a really interesting tale. There are actually a number of 'unofficial' medals that have been struck over the years. I'm thinking of a WWII group I have that has a "Tobruk Medal" at the very end of the row of medals -- an unofficial medal made, I believe, by a Tobruk association, many years after the war had ended, for veterans to show they were there in light of there being no official Tobruk Medal. I might start showing my collection with that group, actually.

mikepara

Practically Family
Earned a few, aquired a few more. It would be a lie to say I collected them though. More of a reader!

I do however collect Medal News magazine and am a member of both the Life Saving Awards Research Society and the Medal Society of Ireland.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I love military medals, I will have to say though the styling of German Nazi medals win me over everytime when I am looking in a shop window. I have a few German ones and then all the medals that my family members have recieved in the service along with a ton of military buttons from mainly jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24