Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a man room/study

Lilibet

New in Town
We have a 14' x 11'-6" room that is going to be my husband's den. We already have a TV room; he doesn't need an office per se, as he has both an office and a cubicle at work; and he has a workshop in the garden; so it is more just a place for him to do "whatever." I want to surprise him by finishing it out for him, so I have a question -- after painting and recarpeting it, what would you all put in a "gentleman's room" that was just your room to do "whatever"?

MAN CAVE?

Lilibet said:
It is more just a place for him to do "whatever." I want to surprise him by finishing it out for him, so I have a question -- after painting and recarpeting it, what would you all put in a "gentleman's room" that was just your room to do "whatever"?

A man's room or "Man Cave" can be defined several ways:

First it is for some a place to pursue his passions such as hobbies

Second it may be an escape room for decompression allowing time and activies that are relaxing.

Some look for a quiet place for music and reading, a place to reasearch and plan outings. A library or music room.

Others may seek to entertain friends in such a room.

Your best answer can be found in your husband's pursuit of these things.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
MDphoto said:
Allowed? When did us men have to be "allowed" to have an area of the house to put our things?
Do you your wives or girlfriends also dress you? If so, maybe we should start a club!! :D
There is one already!

heman.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
The wife let me have the garage. I installed an insulated overhead door, when I had to replace heat pump, went to a larger more efficent unit, and added a 12 " heating air conditioning duct, ceiling fan. She still has an upright freezer there, but I have a large gun safe, reloading bench, general use workbench, cabinetmakers woorkbench , drill press, small vintage wood lathe, 13" planer, 24" band saw, 8" jointer, 20" Delta unisaw, router table, jig saw, grinder cabinet( 3 different type grinders/polishing head mounted), and 3hp dust collector. All of the large"stationary tools are mounted on mobile stands so I can move them about as needed. It's junky and cluttered but I can clear an area for whatever project I have in mine, plus it's all mine and I enjoy it very much.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Until recently I lived mostly alone, so I guess my entire house is my "Man Cave". But there is one special room where I have my favorite chair and much of my fishing gear. I made almost all of the furniture in this room. The desk, the rod racks, the chair---all Atticus made. I even carved the big fish on the wall from a large plank of wood that washed up on my shoreline after hurricane somebody.

carolinagame089.jpg

AF

chaplin10

New in Town
Will Have One In About A Week...

Moving in to my new apartment in about a week and I'm making the second bedroom my "Den/Media/Collectible Room!" Can't wait to set it up. I'll post some pics when it's complete... First post ever here and I can't believe there is actually a forum for all the things that are discussed and presented here! Awesome! And I found this site by simply picking up Classic Style for the first time last week. Can't believe I have been missing this place for so long. Better late...

Obrigado!

C10

mrshanno

New in Town
I really like your setup...the radar screensaver is a nice touch!

kowalskt63 said:
OK, so perhaps not as classy and or mature as some of the others in this thread, but alas, my wifey has granted me my very own "man room". Its a converted garage. With lots of wood and rock already in place, it just felt right from day one. So, I just started putting little onesie twosie items in there, and IMO it is starting to look good. Here's some snaps of the room and the little tidbits in there. They kids call it "Dads museum. Somehow the old look feel and smell keeps them the heck out of it, Amen...
Tell me what you think:
imgp2016.jpg

imgp2017.jpg

imgp2019.jpg

imgp2021.jpg

imgp2022.jpg

imgp2023.jpg

imgp2024.jpg

imgp2025.jpg

imgp2027.jpg

Sorry about all the pics, just kinda jazzed up about it! Tell me what you think.

gepreston

New in Town
Although my current home doesn’t allow for a true “man cave” I do have an office that I share with my wife. When deciding on what went in the cave, my wife gave me a little more freedom to add things that I wasn’t allowed to have elsewhere in our home. This is where the dear mounts are, the small safe, a few “in poor taste” prints that I’ve collected, and my shot glass collection went. I’d say a desk and a comfortable chair are a must for any “man cave”.

sfend002

Familiar Face
Yes, I do. I call it a study these days. No TV, no radio, just a desk, safe, couch, and a laptop. And of course books, many books. I could use a good hat rack.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
You guys have been an inspiration. Tomorrow I am going to start framing in my man room in the garage. A hangout for me and my boy:eusa_clap

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Great spaces!
Here's my "man room".
It was the original owner's studio, he was a travel film producer in the 1930-50s.
Now it's the "Waikiki Womb".
The photo flash makes it look too bright.
In real life I've got it lit indirectly sorta like you're at Trader Vic's or Don the Beachcombers.
Some Martin Denny and a Mai Tai and I'm years and miles away from any problems.
TikiRoom3.jpg

TikiRoom1.jpg

TikiRoom2.jpg

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Murph351 said:
Great spaces!
Here's my "man room".
It was the original owner's studio, he was a travel film producer in the 1930-50s.
Now it's the "Waikiki Womb".

Great room, Murf...but where, oh where, are the ukuleles?

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Good eye! :D
It's a work in progress.
Really just got it up and running this summer.
Ukes are on the Ebay list along with the bongos.

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Newest tweaks to the Kowalski Man Room

rack2.jpg

rack1.jpg

My goal is to someday have every inch of wall covered by a hat! I'm sure the wife feels differently...

byronic

One of the Regulars
....this is like being initiated into a secret society.... ok, promise not to tell? well, i have a garden shed (hut? den?), 7'x7', lined with movie posters from the '40's, it contains my Vaughan Williams, Anne Shelton and Al Bowlly c.d's, and also my Flying Scotsman train set and collection of model cars (not toys, you understand, they are 'die-cast models for the adult collector'- it says so on the boxes...)- promise not to tell, or youre not in my gang anymore!!!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brilliant rooms, gents. Kowalski, yours is my favorite.

I don't have a separate room, but rather one of our two living rooms is where all my books are and my desk is. I'll try to photograph it at some point.

I like how film-quality many of these spaces are. There is also a Home Office thread with similar stuff.

My goal has always been to have a house that looks as cool as a film set. And yes, retro-future is more of what I do than strict retro -- I have no way around that.

Nice stuff, gents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot