Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a sewing circle or craft group?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Just wondering if any of you ladies belong to a group that regularly gets together to work on projects while socializing together?

I have had some on and off groups overtime. Right now I get together with some family from my husbands side (they are a much friendlier bunch than my own family) and we get together about every two weeks although we had been on a hiatus for the last year. I am glad we started up again as I have little free time for my projects. It gets me out of the house without children and gets me going on my long list of projects I want to get to.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I know of a quilting group but I'm the only person in this town who makes stuff from vintage or retro patterns I swear. I've offered to help teach some of the swing dancers to sew but no one has taken me up on the offer yet. my dear friend Kim and I keep talking about getting together to work on sewing projects but it hasn't happened yet. she does more medieval/renaissance stuff but we can at least help each other with fitting

miss_elise

Practically Family
my friends and I have a sewing circle - we usually meet up once a month at one of our houses andsew whatever we feel like it - mostly clothes, but I'm the only vintage girl, so i just make my own things and we all help each other

annet

One of the Regulars
two friends who want to start sewing and me are starting one, our first fabric shopping trip is in two weeks!

i call myself something between an beginner and an intermediate seamstress, and they are total beginners... so i'll be doing projects and learning from them, while guiding them through theirs! it's going to be fun on long dark winter nights :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm an irregular attendant at a knitting group that meets 2x month at a local coffee shop. We met up through Ravelry.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
annet said:
two friends who want to start sewing and me are starting one, our first fabric shopping trip is in two weeks!

i call myself something between an beginner and an intermediate seamstress, and they are total beginners... so i'll be doing projects and learning from them, while guiding them through theirs! it's going to be fun on long dark winter nights :)
That sounds like lots of fun. I started my first sewing class with a girl friend. I think she got more into knitting though.
Although the group I meet with is a mixed bag some knit or crochet I have also crochet but I like the sewing more. We also have a quilter in the group too.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We used to have weekly sewing circle at Theresa LaQuey's, but she got married and has less free time. But I want to start it up again as it was so much fun. We would all bring stuff for a dinner salad, then had each other to talk to and to help fit things (plus we had TLQ's expert advice, cuttting tabel etc!).

We called it our Stich'n'Bitch. I miss it! It's hard to keep on a project when you are all alone.

Foofoogal

Banned
i belong to an organization that sews from time to time and does other things for children and the elderly.
One simple thing we make is a stuffed ball type of thing for nursing homes for elderly to squeeze to keep their hands moving or small lap robes.
Especially with season coming up we will be making items. I used to sew a lot but since this is simple I can do it. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
Well, my work environment is more or less a sewing circle. I make mascot costumes in a home workshop with the help of my Mom and my Daughter.
At times we have my grandaughter there as well, four generations. She is three and a half years old and can wield a needle and thread to string together scraps of fabric.
I think it would be fun to be in some sort of sewing club or group, my daughter organized a class for awhile and she enjoyed doing that, a number of her friends would get together, and she asked for a small
optional donation, then found that the club members who most needed her constant attention and help with their projects were the ones who never left a dime.
She "helped" one of these ladies make a set of kitchen curtains, helped her, plan, layout, pin, stitch, press, and hang them. She felt like she'd done the whole job herself, for free. Of course they came out great!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I used to have girlfriends I'd get together with and sew, but most have moved away.
I'm with Lady Day- this is kind of my sewing circle now :D This and seeing what gals make on blogs. It's really inspiring.

maristella

New in Town
It's not sewing, but I sometimes go to a knitting group that's pretty massive here in London. Stitch London is on in a different location every week. I've been looking for a sewing one but haven't had any luck so far and none of my friends knit or sew [huh]

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I meet up with a group of ladies for knitting twice a month. Some of them sew too. We meet in a coffee/sandwich shop. I was very timid about going at first. (not very social sometimes) I'm glad I did, I look forward to going every other week, we have gone on field trips to local yarn shows too. We also meet on Raverly, too.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
61women.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner