Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you love linens?

leaette

A-List Customer
I do. And what's funny, I never use them. I have a small collection of 40's tablecloths. But I love to look at them. Here is a great website to windowshop: http://www.retro-redheads.com/

I also have a collection of UGLY 70s potholders and cloth napkins. I do use those. The uglier, the better. Oranges, greens, yellows. It goes with my ugly 70s party serving ware collection I have too. That pottery looking type stuff with the "melted" looking paint on it. Know what I'm talking about? Again, the uglier, the better.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love vintage linens. Once again, my good taste puts most of what I like out of my price range. Antique lace makes my heart beat faster--I've seen some amazing tablecloth sets.

I have a couple of dishcloths embroidered with chickens in my kitchen--I like the homey quality they have. I'll try to grab some pictures next time the camera is out.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Well, I was inspired by the "What have you got on your dresser?" thread to break out my linens earlier, so my downstairs is currently looking like granny's crochet lounge.....

One Irish linen drawn-work traycloth on the chest behind me.
One Irish linen bobbin-lace runner on the windowsill.
One embroidered fine linen traycloth on the "occasional" table (does anyone know what they are the rest of the time?)
One Maltese lace tablecloth on the dining table.

And another chest full in the bathroom, ready for when OH spills his dinner on the tablecloth.... :eusa_doh:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
One of my chicken/rooster dishcloths

dishcloth.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Linen in my family gets handed down from generation to generation with the creases intact! The tatting is made with "spit and thread." I also like the 70s stuff! I love using it, it's so colorful and I like color. The new stuff I use goes with my Princess House collection when I want things to match. Nothing is ever thrown away: a 50s gingham tablecloth that has a few holes is covering the side door window now as prying eyes annoy me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My late wife must have thought we were going to live in Buckingham Palace some day, the way she accumulated household items, (ALL of them nice). When I moved last year I counted 44 table cloths. That's 4 - 4. And napkins beyond number. I'm down to 36 table cloths at the moment. They were inherited from various friends and family members, are are too nice to just take to the thrift store. Maybe I'll post a few images. I've been disposing of them one by one. And of course using paper napkins that I bring home from the deli each day.

leaette

A-List Customer
if you want to part with some of them, maybe put them up in the classifieds section. i'm sure that some people here will give them a nice vintage home.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had 2 40's print ones, with laundry marks from my family from about 60 to 70 years ago, and was about to give one away, when my brother said he wanted one, and my girlfriend said "Oh, I like that one!" about the other. But I'll try to dig a few of them out.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh goodness. You have just opened the Pandora's Box here :D ...I deal on eBay, and I specialize in textiles. Also, about 6 years ago I was a founding member of the Vintage Tablecloth Lover's Club:

www.vintagetableclothsclub.com

We are all linen freaks, and can count a number of authors about linens among our ranks! I have learned so much about fabric and such from being a member!

I own 400-500 tablecloths alone, plus countless napkins, kitchen towels, runners, etc. All 30-50s era. We are moving this weekend, but I will try to get a shot or two of them before I pack them up. And before you say anthing about what I have, I know 3 ladies personally who have over 1000 tablecloths and counting. We are freaks, seriously. But they are just so pretty.... :eek:

If anyone EVER has any questions about vintage linens, I could probably help you. Or lead you in the right direction. And I love the RetroRedheads site; they are very nice ladies and find great stuff!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
My late wife must have thought we were going to live in Buckingham Palace some day, the way she accumulated household items, (ALL of them nice). When I moved last year I counted 44 table cloths. That's 4 - 4. And napkins beyond number. I'm down to 36 table cloths at the moment. They were inherited from various friends and family members, are are too nice to just take to the thrift store. Maybe I'll post a few images. I've been disposing of them one by one. And of course using paper napkins that I bring home from the deli each day.

dhermann-if you could post some pictures, I could tell you want you have. Value and rarity, if you are interested. I just love looking at pictures of linens!!!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I have two hat boxes full of linens that were from my Grandma, my Grannie, and my Mom. I have matching tablecloth and napkin sets, placemat and napkin sets, a "pouch" to hold pajamas in (that is embroidered with "God Natt" in Norwegian - Good Night in English), doilies, table runners, coasters, and a set of pillow cases that my mom embroidered with roses, and then crocheted lace on the edge, and much, much more. (The Mister doesn't understand why I hang onto all of it when I don't use all of it. It's a link to my past.)

The one teacloth that I really, really, really want is a mauve color that my grandmother and great grandmother embroidered with pink and gray roses. It's in amazing condition considering it is nearly 100 years old! Mom still has it, and I think it is to go to one of my sisters. (DRAT!)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Except for a few precious things, I use all my stuff. I love vintage cotton pillowcases with embroidery, and have done some myself. I only use old pillowcases, though, because new ones just don't feel the same. We use lovely vintage double damask Irish Linen napkins with dinner alot of the time because I can find them so cheap out here and I have a ton of them. Guess nobody wants to iron them anymore!!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I love linens as well. Printed cotton tablecloths are a huge weakness of mine. I probably have close to 20, and only a few of them are large enough to cover my table. :eek: I have quite a few linen tablecloth & napkin sets as well, but they don't get used very often when you are regularly dining with a 2 1/2 year-old!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
1000 tablecloths???

And I thought I liked tablecloths!

My mother is obsessed with collecting embroidered things. We inherited lots of lovely ones from my Nana who got them from her Aunts, Grandmother, Mother etc. One of my favourites is one I bought my Mum as a present last time I was home. It is embroidered with all different chinese lanterns and is amazing. It was expensive but I just had to get it for her as I knew she would love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn