Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear curlers in front of your Significant Other?

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
He'll just have to face the fact that for you to look your glamourous self during the day, you have to set your hair at night. As StaceFace said, the end result justifies the means. You two have been together long enough that I think it's not a big deal. A cute scarf might help too.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
I always wear a scarf over my curlers or pin curls, to help keep the heat in. And yes, I do wear them in front of the Mr. I don't have the luxury of free alone time to do it otherwise with two small children around. He thinks me Nana style is amusing and just adds it to the list of other Nana things I do like bed jackets and lap rugs. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
I very rarely wear curlers when he can see them, but if he does, he doesn't think its attractive. I had sponge rollers in one night (couldn't stand sleeping in them any way, so I had to get up in the night and take them out) When he saw me, he told me (not in these words) that it was "mood altering".
Before my hairdresser retired, he would occasionally have a haircut appointment at the same time as my monthly dye job, so we would joke about that when it happened.
Overall, I think he would prefer to see me looking good, and not have to think about, or witness, the process it takes to get there.
A friend of mine was telling how her Mom, back in the day, would wet set her hair as soon as her Dad stepped out the door in the morning, go about her business all day, shopping, housework, etc., then pull out the rollers and style her hair just before he was due to arrive home. He never saw her in rollers, but I guess most of the rest of the town did.
My grandmother's second husband loved to set her hair in pin curls for her. He would help her with it in the evenings, while they sipped tea and talked.
So there are some guys who like that kind of thing, and some who don't.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I use hot curlers, but my ex didn't mind one bit. I feel more embarrassed wearing them around my roommates than I do my ex, just because I know my roommates don't get it! My ex cares just about as much about his hair as mine, and he makes the goofiest pinched face when he combs his pomp, but I think it's endearing. If a guy thought my curlers were unattractive that would be ridiculous. I'm not going to be changing my routine, and frankly, I wouldn't want his opinion on the matter.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I am sorry ladies, but it seems rather unreasonable of some fellows to be so very unwilling to accept that there are processes required to look the way we do. It seems like they have rather unrealistic expectations.

TheRedHead

New in Town
yes...and no!

I hate to be caught 'not ready' by anyone, any hour! So much so that though I should currently be on bed rest as I am pregnant and hurt my back the other day, I still had to get up put on a black dress and tights and do my hair, I couldn't stomach the thought of even the post person seeing my fancy pj's! However, hubby has had to become a bit of an exception, I love to be done up for him and he appreciates it, but he does see the curlers, but not the face mask etc!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Whoever I'm with needs to learn to appreciate the fact that it takes time for me to look nice for him, especially if we're going out and he's going to be seen with me on his arm. He can just learn to deal. If he can see me first thing in the morning without makeup on, there's no reason why I should be embarrassed to have him see me in rollers.

I also have no problems going out and running errands with rollers in. The best is going vintage or antique shopping with rollers in your hair and a scarf tied around. They love it :)

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
my mum said if they werent walking around everywhere on a saturday in curlers and scarf when she was a teenager (early 60s) you got talked about... it meant you hadnt got a date for saturday night!!:eusa_doh: :D

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I was thinking about this thread, and I remembered in one of my college courses reading Ovid's "The Art of Love" (written before the birth of Christ) which was basically a manual written for ladies (he also wrote one for men) on how to catch and keep a man. What I found funny was that there was a section on basic grooming and Ovid advises women "to do what you have to do, just don't let men see you do it"! (paraphrased)

LOL I guess even all those centuries ago there were opinions about whether or not you should let your S.O. see you in various states of primping ;)

Rachael

A-List Customer
yes, and he encourages it! He says it's romantic to see how much work I put into looking good for him. I don't have the heart to tell him that it's not just for him; I've been setting my hair for longer than he's been around. One case where a lie of omission is allowed, I suppose.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
crwritt said:
Overall, I think he would prefer to see me looking good, and not have to think about, or witness, the process it takes to get there.

Yeah, well, wouldn't they all? :rolleyes: Reality check, guys.

If we could roll out of bed and leave the house without doing our hair, putting on makeup and working out, and still look great, don't they think we would?

I suppose it might sound harsh, but I think if your guy isn't willing to put up with some of the more unattractive parts of life, he doesn't deserve to be around for the rewards.

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
I'm single, but my recent ex did not care one bit about me in curlers, and even if he did, I really wouldn't be bothered. And I think it's silly to be worried about what your other half thinks about it. I even quite happily take a trip to my local store, hungover, no make-up and doo rag tied over my messy hair on the weekends lol

It makes me think of that ridiculous song that goes 'don't send him off to work with your hair all in curlers'.
I believe 21st century women should free themselves from such ridiculous ideas/concerns.

Besides, why should my ex have cared about a few rollers when he's held my hair out of the way while I'm sick with food poisening, cleaned up tissues I've used when I've had the flu? Especially when he has scratched his butt and farted in front of me?!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My husband has seen me in all my phases and I have nothing to hide from him. And he has nothing negative to say about any phase of my grooming. If he did, I wouldn't have married him.

Actually, he was once telling me how ridiculous he thought his ex was because she would wake up way before him to put makeup on.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I think it's all relative to the situation...
If you're single and want live the fantasy, go for it. No harm in that, what they don't know, doesn't hurt them.
Obviously, he (husband) knows I go through a process to get ready. On the other hand, I don't make Mama Harper a nightly look. There isn't much romance in that. lol
I've been married many years and it's very easy to get stuck in a rut...After child-bearing, lingerie went right out the window, even while working for Frederick's. A thirteen-year-old boy just wouldn't understand.
Now that my son has gotten a little older, I do what I can to make myself look better, for me and my marriage.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Lareesie Ladavi said:
On the other hand, I don't make Mama Harper a nightly look. There isn't much romance in that. lol.

Errr...is it wrong that I think Thelma Harper has some good style? lol Seriously. It's one of my favourite TV shows and whenever I watch it I'm always commenting on how I like her coats and shoes. And I like Iola's style, too. Fer Realz.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Yes! And he sometimes even puts them in for me if I have a lazy moment. I mean, even if I was trying to hide it, it's not like he isn't smart enough to figure out that it takes some effort to pull off a look. lol Men aren't that naive!

Redhead

New in Town
I had my hair in pin curls last night and some beauty face mask on a trouble spot in my face and I asked my husband if it bothered him. He said he likes it and that I looked cute. He's a keeper! ;)

Regards,
Chandra

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Yes! And he sometimes even puts them in for me if I have a lazy moment. I mean, even if I was trying to hide it, it's not like he isn't smart enough to figure out that it takes some effort to pull off a look. lol Men aren't that naive!

"What, do you think gorgeous just happens?" --Hilda to shocked man observing Suarez ladies in mid-primp on Ugly Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran