Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Derby, dates?

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
I recently acquired my first derby off of ebay. It seems to be in nice condition, especially the felt, though it is unfortunately lacking a sweatband. I'm considering having another stitched in, but am wondering if it will cause the hat to be to small to wear. As it is, it is just a bit too loose, but not by alot.

I have no idea the age of this hat. The lining, and markings are unlike any of my dobb's fedoras, but I am unsure if this is due to age, or simple the fact that it is not a dobbs fedora. Can anyone fathom a guess?

DSCF8606.jpg

DSCF8604.jpg

DSCF8605.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A nice win; I thought about bidding on it, but decided I have enough Dobbs Derbies to wear.:)

I have one with the same liner:
DobbsEmb2.jpg

Your hat is no later than the late-1930s.

I think mine is also '30s, but my label is slightly different, though, and matches a confirmed mid-1920s Dobbs Derby I have. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, as they might have used several styles of labels concurrently.

DobbsEmb3.jpg

If you are normally a 7 3/8, you shouldn't have any problem wearing it with a sweatband in place. I've found Dobbs of that era to be true to size.

Brad

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
thanks! thats very cool to have a hat this old :) Despite my best efforts, the fedora's I end up with have not been any older than the mid-late fifties (they still look sharp though!)... oddly enough, I probably wouldve passed this one right by, but has just finished reading your latest blog entry about the construction of derbies, which peeked my curiosity!

As for the sweatband, its hard to say what size I actually am... my collection is split between 7 3/8 and 7 1/2, due to variations in the sizing. I've certainly run into more 7 3/8 that are too small, than 7 1/2's that are too big.

do derbies require anyone special to sew in a sweat, or would anyone who can handle a fedora be able?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy