Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone know why??

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought maybe one or a few of you ladies might have insight into why these "Vintage Vanity Fare Pillow Tab Brief Panties with Lace" went for nearly $254!! There were a few other pairs from the same seller that also went for really ridiculously high amounts. I don't really know much about vintage undies, I know a little about other vintage foundation garments and understand why vintage corsets and such go for a good amount of money. But I just don't see it with these. Are they platinum plated? Do they shrink your butt to the perfect size? What is it about this particular pair of panties that made them go for such a high amount of money? I'm not passing judgment. I'm a collector, I've spent money on things that others might think are silly. I just really want to know if their is something extraordinary about these and the other pairs that sold for quite a bit of money.:) Here's another pair that went for $67. There were a few more pairs on the bay, all up at the same time that also went for around $67. Why would one pair go for so much more than the others?
The descriptions of all were about the same. I'm just curious:)

Rosie

One Too Many
Mmmmm, I'm not sure about that Daisy. I thought they would be a size 3X or something but, they are "regular" size. Maye the color? I have NO idea. lol

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Cross-dressers and transvestites are pushing up the prices on vintage ladies undies, and I also think that nylon panties are a fetish object to some people. Each to his own.
I sometimes do get a little annoyed, though, when I check out the profile of another bidder on, say, a vintage bullet bra or corselette, and it's clear that it's a male fetishist who's paid insane amounts for ladies vintage lingerie in the past. It useless to even try to overbid those collectors, so it does make me a little sad that the winning bidder is going to wear that lovely bra secretly without even having any boobs to fill it with, when I could get a lot more use out of the item. lol

Some companies still make nylon panties like those, I have some and they look exactly like the vintage ones except that they're new and much cheaper! Google Nancy King or Dixie Belle.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
It could be the color, coral is a shade that you don't see very often. The fineness/sheerness of the nylon is a big selling point too.
It's most likely a bidding war between 2 very determined collectors.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I second ShrinkingViolet’s explanation, and have noticed that many sellers keep their auctions private for that very reason.

It’s funny though, because you can buy those nylon panties for around $20.:rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Personally, I wouldn't mind a pair of platinum-plated underpants. I could hang them out on the line and dazzle the neighbors.

But seriously, I'll second Shrinking Violet's recommendation for Nancy King -- they have an excellent line that hasn't changed in decades. (I just wish they hadn't discontinued the tap pants...)

Foofoogal

Banned
HTML:
 I could get a lot more use out of the item.

I know Vanity Fair is very collectible and I concur with Shrinking Violet. One time I joined a yahoo group on vintage petticoats. Lets just say I left pretty quickly when I actually saw the pixs. This southern gal was pretty naive. lol

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
maybe it was a typo tho?
i have seen that a few times, to many numbers... hahah.
sucks for people ,and they have a lot of explaining to do .. hehehhehee

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
It's probably the color, the fabric, and the level of sheerness that drove them so high. That, and the other girls are right-the fetishists will pay crazy amounts of money if they want something bad enough. Vanity Fair and Olga seems to be the best names in vintage panties.
I could tell you some stories about selling bubble lace panties, sheer plastic aprons, and rubber girdles. But I won't.....unless you ask! lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'd love to hear your stories Redhotridinghood!
I am amazed that anyone would pay that kind of money for an old pair of knickers!
I think that I might foward this news to the Help the Aged charity in the UK and let the grannies of the world make a mint on Ebay by clearing out their old underwear!!!!
By the way those knickers don't look any older that the 60's to me.......I could be wrong. I can't imagine that they would be very nice to wear in nylon!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks gals!!
Some of your comments are giving me the giggles. I think I'm gonna go through my Mom's drawers and steal all of her well, drawers!:D I could fund my recent vintage shopping spree with them!!

I still think it's a bit outrageous. Vintage or not, I've seen these types of panties in many different stores, for as little as $5 a pair. There are racks of them in TJMaxx and Marshalls. Yes, they are a great alternative to tap pants. I have to buy them to wear them over my waist cinchers and such, they are the only ones that fit over them. But I've bought really pretty, brand name, nylon and lace or all lace ones from discount shoppes for about $5. I know the vintage reproduction ones cost more, but the ones I have do just fine, so why bother spending $20. Although, the lingerie store Lady Grace has some incredibly elegant looking ones. I just have been too lazy to walk down there and buy them. That and every time I go into that store I walk out with much more than I planned on buying:eek:

Well, I totally understand what they are used for, and that certain demographics like them But it's not as if Granny Panties, as we like to call them are hard to find. I'm gonna do some research to see if something comes up about this particular pair. I'm intrigued!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Eve dear, some of my stories are a little, ahem, racy for the FL, but I can tell you that somewhere in the UK there is a very nice, well-heeled gentleman with an absolutely astounding collection of vintage sheer plastic aprons, raincoats and other items of that type. He is very polite and pays on time, and I wish all my eBay buyers were like him!

I figure that some boys just like to feel pretty sometimes. And if they want to pay ME large amounts of money for the privelege, hey, I'm ok with that! To each their own.
Daisy-I would be interested in your findings on The Great Granny Panty Question. Post again soon! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
Some companies still make nylon panties like those, I have some and they look exactly like the vintage ones except that they're new and much cheaper! Google Nancy King or Dixie Belle.

seriously! that $200 pair on ebay? Secrets In Lace sells identical ones for about $20. and hell, they're 100% nylon, so why not buy the white ones and dye them whatever color you want?

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I've sold vintage panties for high amounts on ebay too, also girdles - one buyer sent me a photo of his wife wearing the girdle they bought from me, and another guy sent me a Christmas card of himself wearing a girdle he bought from me (both were sights that I really didn't need to see!) I've sold a few plastic aprons too for surprisingly high amounts.

For whatever reasons people buy those items (collecting or fetish) they are serious buyers, usually very easy to deal with and willing to pay top dollar.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine,

I googled Nancy King which lead me to a website called satinroseintimates.com. I clicked on Nancy King and scrolled through the items. Low and behold they had an item they call "tappants". This may be what you are refering to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot